Closed Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I was stunned by Kris G.'s diatribe. Really stunned. What was most telling is that during her spiel, her mask of "white speech" dropped and she spoke with an African American dialect. Girl almost went ghetto in her anger.

You have to wonder how hard it must be for her to keep her "mask" up in front of her white Christian friends and whatever else she might be hiding behind it.

Empress NaBisco
    I've decided I really don't like the episodes where the producers pair families with different religious and/or moral views. These shows just end up angry and hateful, and no positive changes happen in the end.

I find episodes like Weiner/Smith (Super Jock Type-A Mom/Touchy-Feely No-Cooking Mom) or Young/Harris (Working Mom With SAH Hubby/Over-worked Mom With Chauvinist Hubby) much more entertaining, and I feel they are also more constructive. The participants actually learn something from these exchanges, and make changes in their lives (or try to, anyway).

Episodes like last night don't do anything but upset people - participants and audience alike. Who wants to watch that? Not me.

You can (maybe) change someones habits or attitude in 2 weeks. You can't change their beliefs or convictions.

FORT Fan

Excellent B****

I have never been so angry at a woman in my life. My blood pressure is still soaring 12 hours after the show. What a totally excellent Christian she is!

As for Brian - he was a good sport and you could actually see him laughing while dancing with the gay guys, but good grief! Rolling over and playing dead at the confrontation showed how Chris wears the pants in that family. I'm thinking he married Chris to show what a liberal white guy he is.

I thought it was hilarious when Chris lost her excellent way of speaking during the confrontation and actually sounded like the black woman she is. Oops! Can we say excellent phony?

Premium Member
    I was furious when Chris tried to imply that her children were in danger because Kris is gay. Every time she opened her mouth she showcased her ignorance. Being gay doesn't make Kris a sexual predator or a criminal, it's just who she is. I'm straight but that doesn't mean all the little boys in the neighborhood are in danger. I thought Kris was a very cool, down to earth person and someone I could easily be friends with.

Let me also say that I thought it was wrong for Chris to make Nikki put a Republican sign in her yard. I'm a conservative Republican and that just made my hair stand on end. Last time I checked this is America and nobody has the right to impose their beliefs on others. It seemed like Chris was on a mission to do just that through the whole show. It really irritated me how they kept referring to her as "Republican Chris". As if we are all like that. NOT :phhht

Half my heart is in Iraq! dvldggal's Avatar
    Dancing with the mailman cause I finally got a letter from my baby!
    WOW! I came onto FORT this morning because both of our wonderful ABC affiliates decided to preempt the program for college basketball, my 20 month old put crackers in the VCR, and I couldn't stay up until 3:00 this morning to watch the show. I knew I could come on here and read what I had been disappointed to miss.

Now all I can say is that I'm really, REALLY glad I missed it. My emotional stress is to high these days as it is. I am also really glad that my teenage daughter (who is having a crisis with organized religion these days) was not subjected to yet another sanctimonious, hypocritical person wrapping their deluded notions in Bible verses. That would be just the impetus she needs to completely push her away from the church.

As stated so eloquently above, I can't no believe someone in a mixed marriage (something that has only been legal for 40 years or so) would dare to be so glaringly intolerant and judgmental of a lesbian household. My friend (who lives in another state and DID get to actually watch), stated that Chris made some comment to the effect that the lesbian couple was not a true family, that it was a sham because they were only "living together." Last time I checked, people like Chris are the reason that they CAN'T legally be recognized as married! But let's not get started on THAT soapbox cause I'm already rambling!

And as for the "sexual predator" comments...give me a freaking break! That would be as ridiculous as saying if Chris' husband had swapped places with another husband instead of a wife swap, that the new "daddy" would be likely to molest Chris's daughter because he is heterosexual. I guess it's a good thing that Kris/Nikki had a daughter instead of a son...because who knows what Chris would have done to him, seeing as she likes men and all. **thumping head against monitor at the stupidty of narrow minded people***

Whew...done now. Guess it's a good thing I only read about the show rather than watched it, huh? hahaha Thanks to all my FORT friends for being as obsessed as me and typing up such great info so I could catch up.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    To all of you who have identified yourself as Christians, Republicans or Texicans...we do NOT associate you with Chris.
    You called? Are there more Mexican Texans on here besides me?

Kris ran for the Texas Legislative body three years ago and lost. Typical stay at home mom huh?
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    You called? Are there more Mexican Texans on here besides me?

Kris ran for the Texas Legislative body three years ago and lost. Typical stay at home mom huh?
    Aw-w-w, Tex, we have nuttin' but lur-r-v-e for you here! Another poster had mentioned that she tried to run for a Government job, so I googled and msn searched for her and only came up with info on the show. I'm wondering just what name she ran under, because you have to generate some kind of paperwork channel if you're running for the legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I'm straight but that doesn't mean all the little boys in the neighborhood are in danger.
    Thank you, Marleybone. I'm lucky that I have such loving friends, in real life, that have 'allowed' me to be who I am...a person FIRST. I did not 'come-out' until I was 49 years old, logging 25 years of marriage...to MEN...before I realized that "Homey just didn't want to play that game any longer." When I not only told them that I had switched teams, but, met my love on the *gasp*...INTERNET, not a one batted an eye or discriminated against me or Sally.

I have NEVER understood why straight bigots think that if you're gay you're always after their body! Hey, we have good taste, too, ya know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dyldggal
    Last time I checked, people like Chris are the reason that they CAN'T legally be recognized as married! But let's not get started on THAT soapbox cause I'm already rambling!
    As the standard joke in Gay society says, "Why not allow Gays to marry so they can be a miserable as straight people?"

Quote Originally Posted by dyldggal
    And as for the "sexual predator" comments...give me a freaking break! That would be as ridiculous as saying if Chris' husband had swapped places with another husband instead of a wife swap, that the new "daddy" would be likely to molest Chris's daughter because he is heterosexual.
    I know. When you think of the 1000's of kids that have been sexually abused by Funny Uncles, Step Dads and REAL dads,accusing two middle-aged lesbians of being predators seems pretty ludicrous.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-bigel
    I've decided I really don't like the episodes where the producers pair families with different religious and/or moral views. These shows just end up angry and hateful, and no positive changes happen in the end.

I find episodes like Weiner/Smith (Super Jock Type-A Mom/Touchy-Feely No-Cooking Mom) or Young/Harris (Working Mom With SAH Hubby/Over-worked Mom With Chauvinist Hubby) much more entertaining, and I feel they are also more constructive. The participants actually learn something from these exchanges, and make changes in their lives (or try to, anyway).

Episodes like last night don't do anything but upset people - participants and audience alike. Who wants to watch that? Not me.

You can (maybe) change someones habits or attitude in 2 weeks. You can't change their beliefs or convictions.
    I agree with this completely! Fortunately so far, it appears that the producers of Wife Swap have not fallen into this trap completely, but I feel guilty for watching the show each week that they do.

When this show was first announced, I had no interest in it, because I thought it was going to be nothing but mocking people's differences, and a Jerry-Springer-like look at families lives. I watched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised that this was NOT the case, and I was hooked. So every time that they do one of these mocking shows, I get rather angry. Whether it is totally falling into false stereotypes of people, as last night's show did, or even forcing people into situations where they are extremely uncomfortable (which can be as simple as forcing vegetarians to cook and eat meat) it just seems so disrespectful to me.

Appreciating new experiences is one thing ... but showing dignity and respect in the process will get you much farther!

I really could not stand watching Kris Gillespie last night. I am a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, and it made me quite angry that this woman was on TV perpetuating so many stereotypes that have just reinforced the ignorace about people like me that many have. (and that I've seen displayed in this discussion, to be quite frank)

That being said, I have to be honest and say that Nikki really made my skin crawl quite a bit too. I thought she was very rude. And I realize that editing ensures that we don't ever see the real story, but I cannot dismiss Kris' behavior and let Nikki's slide without question. I wondered over and over why on earth she (Nikki) ever agreed to be on the show as closed off as she was to considering anything to be valid but her own ways of doing things.

It never ceases to amaze me that people like Kris Gillespie feel justified in critizing or judging anyone, when they clearly can't make a simple decision in life without running to church for advice or checking their 2000+ year old 'owners manual'.

FORT Fan
    I've never figured out why people like Kris want to attack same-sex couples for wanting to have a stable family with kids. You don't see constitutional amendments against people promiscuously changing partners.

I lived next door once to someone who furtively brought home a new stranger every night from a gay bar. Many years later I had neighbors who were a long-time same sex couple with a child the same age as mine. They were valuable members of the neighborhood and PTA. I think you can guess which ones became friends as well as neighbors.

Closed Thread