+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 1/19 Show Discussion**SPOILERS**

Ellen might have grown up in a cluttered house and that's why she wants to keep her home looking very neat. I liked it.

Donna off center quite a bit

I could not believe that Donna actually laid those coupons out on the floor of the store to sort through. That looked outright mentally off to do that. I dont know where she got that behavior from but that takes the cake.

It is sad that Donna didn't learn anything from this experience but Ellen probably closed the door with the tone that she attacked Donna at the table.

I agree that Donna has some type of mental disorder. Me and my wife were saying she looked like some aging hippie or something. Everything was funny to her etc. She needs some type of intervention. She is a SAHM but doesnt cook in the normal sense and uses paper plates. She is definetly trying to get out of work for sure. The bathroom being used as a store room eliminates cleaning it since it doesnt get used. Cutting up those paper plates to me proved her mental instability. She might be a loving mother and wife but she is clearly off center mentally.

Ellen and her husband need to cut back on their work schedules to give their daughter some quality time that she needs. Its great that Chloe apparently is well adjusted albeit no help from her parents. You can look at her and tell she was/is needing attention.

Ellen and her family need to hire an interior designer to personalize their asthetic sterile home. I dont think they need a Disco in the living room as Donna was illuding to though.

I hope both families get the help they need since both need some type or form of help to be more function vs dysfunctional.

Donna was interviewed on my local radio station.

She spent the entire time complaining about how the producers damaged her stuff when they packed it for storage. She also justified the junk in the garage by saying the show did not make it known that she buys this stuff for a local activity the kids were involved in (not sure what she was talking about here) and "it's not like I buy 99 hula hoops just because they are on sale"...

She continued that Wife Swap was very unlike the last reality show the family appeared on and enjoyed (My Life As A Sitcom). They did not enjoy their experience on Wife Swap. They were led to believe it would be a life enriching experience (Donna, I think that would be up to you to get something from it :rolleyes ). She shared there was a very small financial benefit to doing the show and indicated it was a small amount - she didn't say how much, but said it was "unlike that other $50,000 spouse swap show".

The family was unable to see the show beforehand and did not know how they were going to be beforehand.

She did not really talk of the other family. If she did, I may have been involved in interactions with other commuters (my drive into work is quite intense at times)

HOWEVER, in the end, she said she was happy with how they portrayed her. I was quite surprised by that consider everything she griped about.

FORT Fan
    Thanks Katkitty, for letting us know this info. Interesting that she said stuff was damaged when they packed it..., and that she bought stuff for a local activity the kids were involved in. The stuff looked like a big mishmash -- kind of the way our basement looks & I don't buy stuff for a local activity my kids are involved with, lol.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    wow, nothing like going into it expecting a lot of money, huh? sheesh ... not like she needs more toilet paper.

there must be a pool of people that make their rounds of "reality" shows these days ...

H2O
    While she made for interesting TV, it bugs me she didn't learn anything from the experience. She's so positive she's right, she's not really open to anything new.

At least the other family got something out of the experience.

The "after the swap" segment is often my favorite part of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-bigel
    I've been lurking here for a couple of months, and I can't believe that it was this episode that finally brought me out of lurking. I say that because this episode really wasn't all that exciting, entertianment-wise.

I think we are all in agreement that Donna needs some serious couch time, so I have nothing to add on that. The only thing good I have to say for her is that her children aren't growing up feeling unwanted and unwelcome in thier own home. I can't say the same for Ellen.

When Ellen Laid down her rules for the Fontaines she said that there is waaayyy to much kid stuff everywhere (I agree) and that all of it is to be removed. All of it. "This is not going to look like a kids house any longer." I was crushed when the youngest boy was upset about that. He didn't understand why his presence wasn't allowed to be felt in his own house. I didn't understand it, either.

I have two children under 10. My house doesn't look like a playroom, but a place where a family lives. There aren't dollhouses in the living room - toys are kept in the girls rooms or the basement playroom. I have put breakables out of harms way and use durable and easy-care fabrics and furnishings. I have a few photos of my girls throughout the house, and their artwork is displayed on the refrigerator and in the laundry room. Mine is not a child-centered house, but a family-centered house that my girls know is their home as well.

While it is my house, they know it is their home. I don't think Chloe can say that.

Because I'm an interior designer, I tend to look a lot into how people shape their environments. I think Ellen's home raises as many questions about her as Donna's clutter raises about Donna.

I have never seen a more soul-less house in my life. It was totally devoid of personality or life. My first reaction was, "What is she hiding?". She and the huband revealed NOTHING of themselves in their house. All the furnishings were tasteful and expensive, but I've seen furniture showrooms - hell, even hotel rooms - with loads more character. There was no personal effects, sculpture, photographs, NOTHING. The one piece of artwork we were shown was probably purchased because they needed something large to cover an empty wall. Fortunatley for them it was hung over the staircase so they only have to see it when using the stairs.

Donna's issues are scattered out in the open for all to see, but Ellen and Bill are making quite an effort to hide something. I just have no idea what it is.

I also was very suprised at Ellen's behavior at the last scene. Where did all of that come from? Usually when one of the wives is angry at the "table talk" it is with the other wife's husband with whom she has clashed. But during this whole show Ellen had no contact with Donna - and Donna is such a mouse - what did Donna ever do to to bring out vicious Ellen? Ellen was horrible - she really wanted to hurt Donna badly.

The only reason I can think of is that Ellen was embarassed because she knew her negligence regarding Chloe was going to be exposed, and needed to point out Donna's problems to make her own look not-so-bad. If that's the case, it didn't work - not for me, at least.

There is so much more I could comment on regarding Ellen's relationship (or rather, lack of it) with Chloe, but I fell I've gone on too long already. With a mother that is as cold, distant, uninvolved and uninterested as Ellen is, it really is amazing that Chloe is as seemingly "normal" as she is.

However, I'm not holding my breath for the new-and-improved Ellen-Bill-Chloe relationship to last.
    I just had to throw this in....not many people know it, but there are a LOT of copyright issues when it comes to filming a "reality" TV show in your home. They require EVERY SINGLE THING that may be shown in plain view to be "cleared" by the original copyright owner before it can be left "out" durring filming. It may very well be that Ellen didn't find it important enough to go through the grueling task of listing and clearing every item in her home, so the ones the production staff didn't get to...were removed for filming....just a thought.... As for your comment on Ellen's behavior toward Donna at the Table Meeting....just remember one word....editing, editing, editing...you/I have NO IDEA what the directors were asking or trying to get out of Ellen at the time. They may very well have asked her to be "candid".

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by captrick
    As for your comment on Ellen's behavior toward Donna at the Table Meeting....just remember one word....editing, editing, editing...you/I have NO IDEA what the directors were asking or trying to get out of Ellen at the time. They may very well have asked her to be "candid".
    Even if a swarm of producers were begging me to be "candid", I'd have enough couth to NOT verbally bash this woman and her family....just cuz the producers were asking me to.
    What kind of a weak-minded person can't figure out when they're simply being a class A jerkhole? Even if what she was saying was spot-on...it was brutally rude the way she did it.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Empress NaBisco
    Quote Originally Posted by captrick
    I just had to throw this in....not many people know it, but there are a LOT of copyright issues when it comes to filming a "reality" TV show in your home. They require EVERY SINGLE THING that may be shown in plain view to be "cleared" by the original copyright owner before it can be left "out" durring filming. It may very well be that Ellen didn't find it important enough to go through the grueling task of listing and clearing every item in her home, so the ones the production staff didn't get to...were removed for filming....just a thought.... :
    Interesting, and you're right, I'm not familiar with those copyright protections, especially since copyrights apply to written works and not pieces of furniture...

Several members of my husbands family work in the TV and film industry, and his sister has done a lot of set design. She has never had to get releases for any props she was using on a set. Granted, most of her work her work has been for commercials and she has never worked on a "reality show" per se. However, I'm surprised it would matter if an item was being shown on a commercial or an actual show, both are being broadcast, right?

For that matter, how in the world would someone like Donna get releases for all of the crap she has? It would be impossible.

No, if I had to guess I'd say Ellen's house looks the way it does because she is concerned first and foremost with impressing people. She doesn't let her house reveal anything personal because there is something about her that she really doesn't like, and that just might hinder her ability to impress.

Further, it is just important for her to impress herself. She is able to relax at the end of the day, look around her house, and think, "Look at how expensive and tasteful my house looks. No one would ever know that I (fill in the blank)."

But hey, I'm not shrink! I'm just a designer. What do I know?

Actually, there is one thing I do know. I know what people want their homes to convey. Every time I meet with a new residential client they tell me they want their home to feel "open yet warm, and to reflect my personality."

No one has ever said they wanted their home to look like no one lived there.

FORT Newbie
    I dunno if Ellen lecturing Donna was the best approach, but at the time I was cheering Ellen on. I disliked how Donna just does whatever she wants and ignores everyone else's wishes.

+ Reply to Thread