+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 12/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    We all certainly have the right to our opinion. I stand by mine. My main objection to home schooling is that the kids miss out on interaction with their peers. This is not an assumption, it is fact. I have many friends who have home schooled. They have good kids and the kids are book smart. Many of them lack social skills.
    Going to school doesn't guarantee social skills just as homeschooling doesn't guarantee lack of social skills. I know quite a few kids lacking social skills even though they're in a 5 day a week school environment. And I know a family of 5 who home schooled some of the most outgoing and social kids I've ever met. Their parents are very outgoing, social, and involved in the community. Their children followed suit and being homeschooled didn't affect their social skills one bit.

Social skills depend more upon what happens in the family environment more than what happens in the school environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Here Yet
    Just because someone is homeschooled doesn't mean that they don't socialize. Why is it always assumed that being homeschooled means you don't interact?? Gah!! Find out before assuming, people.

And another thing. Socialization isn't everything. Kids can survive without it.
    There is nothing wrong with home schooling, but children that are homeschooled miss out on socializing with other children. I also believe that if you are going to homeschool children you should have an educated adult looking over the children to make sure they are up to speed with their grade level. After homeschooling is over and it's time to get a job, it's very important to have social skills to be able to function in the "real world". So, socialization is everything! I agree that family comes first, but I also think its very important to have friends outside of your family environment.

FORT Newbie
    My main objection to home schooling is that the kids miss out on interaction with their peers. This is not an assumption, it is fact. I have many friends who have home schooled. They have good kids and the kids are book smart. Many of them lack social skills.
    I also agree with Muduh. We know many, many homeschoolers who are socially challenged but we also know more public and private schooled students that are socially challenged. Their inability to socialize isn't based on wether they're home schooled or not. It's based on the parents and the home life/style, etc.

It's obvious that my children were more socially capable then the other 2 children who were public schooled. Again, it's not based on where/how they're schooled.

Because we home school, my children have had years worth of social growth experiences that none of their schooled peers have had (travel, exposure to multiple lifestyles, cultures, etc.) and my children have always been heads above their traditionally schooled peers.

The foundation for proper, healthy social skills aren't obtained by the state, they're obtained by healthy families.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I, too agree TOTALLY with Mudah.

Very good points Silver Plated B.
    I really, REALLY didn't like how Bible Mom had that unqualified woman say that your children were 'under the level where they should be'. Honestly, your children looked, behaved and acted well ABOVE the age of the "normal teenager(s)" their age. IMHO

It was VERY UNCALLED for, for her to do that on national television with someone who wasn't TESTING THEM APPROPRIATELY. That there tells me that Bible Mom is less educated than she is claiming. Below average for the intelligence of a normal adult woman of her age. tsk tsk For shame.
    Too bad her Bible Thumping Abusive Husband doesn't let her out of the house more often to realize that she's dumbing down the ladder at an excelerated rate.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Plated B
    I also agree with Muduh. We know many, many homeschoolers who are socially challenged but we also know more public and private schooled students that are socially challenged. Their inability to socialize isn't based on wether they're home schooled or not. It's based on the parents and the home life/style, etc.

It's obvious that my children were more socially capable then the other 2 children who were public schooled. Again, it's not based on where/how they're schooled.

Because we home school, my children have had years worth of social growth experiences that none of their schooled peers have had (travel, exposure to multiple lifestyles, cultures, etc.) and my children have always been heads above their traditionally schooled peers.

The foundation for proper, healthy social skills aren't obtained by the state, they're obtained by healthy families.
    I strongly agree with many of your points, but have to mention a thing or two. My grandson, who is 17, goes to public school. He has about three months off in the summer plus several short breaks during the rest of the year. He is an only child and his parents have been able to give him more travel experiences than I've had my entire life. He is also involved in many activities that would not be available to him if he weren't a student in a school.
    I am in no way saying that your way is wrong and ours is right. I'm just saying that there are more points of view than either of ours.
    I agree with the other posters in saying that the "expert" should not have said anything about how well the kids were, or weren't, doing when she obviously could not have known them but a short time when she made her declaration. I would thing that would require much more testing than she had time to administer. I'm sure that they are tested regularly by people who are qualified. I know that where I live, the home schooled kids have to be tested each year to make sure that they are ready for the next grade. I assume that other states have similar requirements.
    It appears that you and your wife are doing something right for your kids. That doesn't make it right , or wrong, for all the rest of our kids. Every family as to decide for themselves.

Yay for homeschoolers and for public schoolers!!!

Yay!!!

This is a very good thread. Especially since Allan keeps stopping by.

Yay for this thread and Allan!!!

Are you here to stay, Allan?
    When women vote, amazing things happen...

FORT Regular
    ARGH! ABC hasn't posted the manuals for this show but I'm almost positive Brandy said something about her mom having bad day at work & taking it out on her...
    how the HECK are women buying into the "men are the providers, women tend the home" stuff when they are also holding down a job??!! Wasn't that the rap a few weeks back where the wife stayed home AND worked basically full time as a transcriptionist??

Quote Originally Posted by Leeloo
    how the HECK are women buying into the "men are the providers, women tend the home" stuff when they are also holding down a job??!! Wasn't that the rap a few weeks back where the wife stayed home AND worked basically full time as a transcriptionist??
    I think their husbands use a shiny pocket watch and say to them, in a deep voice, "You're getting very, very sleepy..."
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

[QUOTE=Leeloo]ARGH! ABC hasn't posted the manuals for this show but I'm almost positive Brandy said something about her mom having bad day at work & taking it out on her... QUOTE]

I'm wondering where those manuals are, as well. I'd like to see where she wrote "and don't bother trying to set any new rules. Despite agreeing to do this show, my husband, Lord and King, has no intention of participating."
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

FORT Newbie
    .... My grandson, who is 17, goes to public school. He has about three months off in the summer plus several short breaks during the rest of the year.
    Many homeschoolers follow the same school year, date wise, as their local school system. This way their kids can, socialize, I mean play, with their friends.

... He is also involved in many activities that would not be available to him if he weren't a student in a school.
    Such as???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678