+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 12/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Do you think that bible dad will come on here? If so, I'm leaving!!

lalalalala
    When women vote, amazing things happen...

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Plated B
    Here's the skinny on the home schooling.

Rock and roll kid #1, Xaundelle, who was also home schooled like R&R kids #2 and #3, graduated at the age of 18 (deliberately at 18 instead of younger because at 15 she chose to start working a job - a job she still works today) with college credits. She continues to go to college, work her job and still finds time to work with dad and play in a band.

Rock and roll kid #2, Corin, soon after shooting started working his first job at a hospital. He is studying for college entry exams at 16 and has expressed an interest in radiology just in case he doesn't become a rock star.

Rock and roll kid #3, Saphraine at almost 15 is also studying for college entry exams and is already too intelligent for her own good. Fashion and styling are her vocational interests if these 2 minutes of her allotted 15 don't make her a star.

Thanks for watching. It's all very exciting... :rolleyes

Allan Aguirre
    That's great. I guess I'll just have to go back to worrying about my own kids instead. Actually I think and hope they'll make me as proud of them as you must be of yours.
    Last edited by weary; 12-09-2004 at 08:41 PM.

One comment I'd like to make about home schooling. Two hours a day may seem like too little, but two uninterrupted hours may very well be more than our kids are getting in public school. By home schooling, the parents, or tutor, can teach what is important. There are so many "frills" taught in public schools that will never be necessary to get in to college. I never home schooled because I just don't have the temperament for it, besides I felt the kids needed the interacton with others. Some people don't feel that way. It's a judgement call. It sounds like these kids are doing well with it. I liked the family a lot. They are different, but that's not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    besides I felt the kids needed the interacton with others.
    Just because someone is homeschooled doesn't mean that they don't socialize. Why is it always assumed that being homeschooled means you don't interact?? Gah!! Find out before assuming, people.

And another thing. Socialization isn't everything. Kids can survive without it. But if they want it then they should have it. But I'll add this. Family should come before "friends". Kids (and everyone) should be closer to their family before "friends" and always put family first over thier "friends". I'll say it again. Family before "friends". But it is understandable that it may not be possible in such families as the "bible" fam we saw last night.(doesn't mean they shouldn't try) But I'd say it is quite possible in families like the punk rocker family.

Yay family!

Glasses-Wearing Samurai marvolomaven's Avatar
    Miyagami High School Student Council Dormitory

Kudos

I just have to throw this on for Allan - since I know you're lurking about here. Congratulations on coming off as one of the most level headed participants and best sports I have seen on this show. If everyone played along as well as you and your kids, they would have absolutely no melodrama to air on ABC.

I think that the Bible mom looked like Dustin Hofmann in TOOTSIE! If I were Britney I would be gone as soon as I could. Make sure I had great grades and get a full scholarship to some very, very far off college!

I hope that I have as good of a relationship with my children when they are teenagers as the Aguirre family has with theirs. Their children were polite and well spoken, two thumbs up to that family!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Yay for well-behaved children and yay for Texans!!!

Yay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Not Here Yet
    Just because someone is homeschooled doesn't mean that they don't socialize. Why is it always assumed that being homeschooled means you don't interact?? Gah!! Find out before assuming, people.
    Maybe it's not an assumption, but a differing viewpoint?

And what's with kids homeschooling themselves??
    Last edited by Texicana; 12-10-2004 at 03:47 PM.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    besides I felt the kids needed the interacton with others. Some people don't feel that way. It's a judgement call. It sounds like these kids are doing well with it. I liked the family a lot. They are different, but that's not a bad thing.
    Also, she was obviously saying that it was HER thought about her own children. MAYBE if Mudah home-schooled, there would be less 'interaction'. Not to mention, she ended the thought with "it's a judgement call".

Don't pick on Mudah! :nono
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Here Yet

And another thing. Socialization isn't everything. Kids can survive without it. But if they want it then they should have it. But I'll add this. Family should come before "friends". Kids (and everyone) should be closer to their family before "friends" and always put family first over thier "friends". I'll say it again. Family before "friends". But it is understandable that it may not be possible in such families as the "bible" fam we saw last night.(doesn't mean they shouldn't try) But I'd say it is quite possible in families like the punk rocker family.

Yay family!
    We all certainly have the right to our opinion. I stand by mine. My main objection to home schooling is that the kids miss out on interaction with their peers. This is not an assumption, it is fact. I have many friends who have home schooled. They have good kids and the kids are book smart. Many of them lack social skills. Going on outings with others can not compare to being with classmates five days a week. They need to see how conflicts are handled and to be able to make friends with people outside the family.
    They will be ill equipped to take on life in the real world when college or employment time comes.
    You'll get no argument from me about family coming first. I just fail to see where that applies here. Why would going to school mean that they weren't close to their family?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast