+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Another "swapped wife" tells her story

emeraldsong, In reading the posts, I don't think the objection is with the talk about sex, I think most people objected to the woman giving the girls abstinence cards to sign, even though she didn't pressure them to sign them. Anyway I am going to wait til I actually see this episode before I comment, as you never know, it may be one of those stories where the sky starts blue and by time it gets to the last person the sky is red..
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldsong
    I find it interesting that you object to a mother coming in and talking to children about sexual activity, but most of you do not mind the discussion about sex that happens in school. The tone of many of the messages suggest that many of you favor passing out condoms in school or perhaps even birth control clinics in school. This is often done without parent consent and often with no knowledge of what is happening on the part of the parent.
    There is a certain authority given to schools. For instance in biology when the subject of human reproduction arises, sex is discussed, and with it, the dangers and methods of avoiding the dangers.
    Sex being taught in school will always follow the most neutral road, as they will first enter the subjext from an objective angle, they are there to teach the facts.
    I reckon that if the subject of homosexuality arises, there is no discussion on morals, because morals within a school are different from the morals within a society. A school that teaches tolerance when the topic is homosexuality does the right thing. Because as a school you can't teach it otherwise, you can't actively disaprove of someone's sexuality, because you have pupils and perhaps even teachers who are homosexual. It would be unwise to undermine them as people by teaching a class that they are morally wrong.

I don't think schools would ever teach a class that homosexuality is right, they will teach pupils to tolerate homosexuals, by informing them of their existence, and that by law you can't discriminate against them. They are human like the rest of us.

But then again, I hail from a country that has a very open attitude about sex and sexuality, and here schools focus more on the information given about the subject. For that sinful society that I live in, it's remarkable that teen-pregnancy is ten times lower here than over there in the USA.

I can not believe that the gay dad did not know what the swapped wife was doing. They may have even chosen to do the swap with the hopes of giving their daughters exposure to some of these ideas.
    Why do you think that the gay father is unable to expose his children to multiple sides of the topic? Do you really think that if he has the talk with his daughters he'll inform them of homosexual sex?
    If that's the case, I wonder how you got the talk and how you will give the talk. I doubt that it revolved around preference.

The fact is that these parents (on both sides) traded one half of their partnership for a complete stranger. If they were going to be picky about what their children were exposed to, they never would have agreed to this show in the first place.
    There is exposure in several different manners. This woman chose to expose the children to her lifestyle by engaging in a confrontation with the children. She went there and acted on her personal agenda, she confronted the children with a topic that she thought needed to be discussed, when it wasn't her place to give value to the issue.

You might have agreed to switch places, but I take it that the people didn't expect that the person they let into their home for ten days would start to preach and try to convert children.

Exposure to something is different from preaching, or converting, it's different than giving someone abstinence cards.

I think people are pissed with this situation because this involves some stranger, with no authority towards you as a parent or the child, who comes in and preaches her lifestyle to the children, in an environment that can't be escaped from. She went in and she absued her position there to try and convert the children to agree with her cause.

She is not a school, she's not their parent, she's a stranger.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    getting education from the school is MUCH better than getting it from friends and/or strangers coming to visit for a couple of weeks. the extent of sex education i got was one sentence from my mother: "don't start because you'll never stop". thanks for the advice, mom. (NOT)

i believe parents are the first responsiblity ... and then the schools if it doesn't come from home ... but never someone else who isn't part of that child's life.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I think the point is , a strange media whore imposing their funky beliefs on kids after a short stay for cash is a whole different ball game than tried and tested school curriculum .

Schools -neutral? Interesting viewpoint. As a teacher in the public schools, I can tell you that schools and teachers are NOT neutral. We try to provide information in as non bias ways as possible, but value free education does not exist.

As for a school being better than a stranger -- well how many close relationships did you have with your teachers in Jr High and High School. If you can say one or more, than you can count yourself on the fortunate side. Did these teachers discuss sex with you (I am not referring to how conception happens- I mean sex)? I wasn't just referring to the discussion and information given out, but the more active practices of providing birthcontrol methods and counseling done at many schools.

As my husband just said, "Isn't it nice to have a place to write down what you believe and not get shot for them?"

And that ....

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldsong
    As my husband just said, "Isn't it nice to have a place to write down what you believe and not get shot for them?"
    Is what FORT is all about, thanks to JOHN
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

eny
    FORT Fogey
    A discussion of school curriculum is better served in the CE forum. This is a forum and thread about a reality show. While a well founded arguement this thread is not the place for this, as it is waaay off topic.

Back to the gay dads , the husband who needed massive support at the fact a barbie doll didn't show for the swap, and naive folks who sign on for reality shows then whine when they get a surprize....

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Plated B
    They have... I know, I was there.

Aguirre/Ray Episode
    Wednesday, Dec. 8th
    OOOHHHH goody goody!! Does this post mean that December 8th will be this episode!?

Or am I just hoping too hard?

ETA: It's not...I just checked the names. Oh well....
    Ok.. answer this if you can.
    Are you a producer? Who are you?! TELL US EVERYTHING ABOUT ALL OF THE SHOWS! Pleasee???
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Newbie

"Another Wife Tells Her Story"

Appearently,you people have missed the point of this newspaper article!so maybe I can clear this up for you.No,we did not get to see the show before we signed,or even before they started filming.It was not my wifes idea in any way shape or form to give out those pleadge cards.You may thank RDF Media for that one,as well as the PFLAG people who were brought to my home.I know this kind of emberassed the man who was sent here as he did not know of this until that evening.
    As for what did I expect a wife to be? A woman for starters,considering the definition of a wife is: A MARRIED WOMAN.By dictionary, and by the Bible.seeing that neither Washington, nor Oklahoma acknowledges same sex marriages,this person was proven in two ways not to be a wife in any way.
    This show was definately a one sided show for the first season.This is obviously the reason for the decline in the shows popularity.The homosexual agenda has more become a politics thing,in which as some have said here that politics should be left out,I agree whole heartedly,but not the case in this show.it was pushed in my families face the 10 days that were filmed.
    As for the stress,I had found out just before this show was scheduled to be filmed,that my father had brain cancer.I am sure that if you were put in my shoes,and found this out, as well as had a producer turning everyone who came to visit away,and did not let you receive your phone calls,you would also feel a little stressed.I did not get to talk to my instructors at my college simply because the producer would not permit me to.I was told that it was taken care of.
    It seems funny to me that most people don't want to be judged,but for people to be able to say the things that you have said about my family,and not even know us is really funny.the fact is this gay man went home still gay,and I still beleive that same sex marriages are wrong,because the Bible says they are.I have gay freinds,I do not hold them being gay against them,I just don't think they should be married.I don't hate homosexuals,nor am I afraid of them.(I will say the spontanious human combustion thing was funny)
    The point from this article was the lies and deception of the whole filming experience.I think if you were to talk to as many people as I have talked to who have done this show, you would understand the meanings of what I am saying.You as the veiwers are being lied to as well,seeing that in these shows you are being led to beleive things happened that really did not.Point and case,I was paid not to work,and the point of me not working was brought up several times,I was working anywhere from 72-96 hours a week for an ambulance service.and taking care of my kids,having supper fixed for my wife when not working,oh,and yes I also do the laundry!but thyis show won't ever let you see the real side.
    as for the money thing,do you really think that when two people are off work,the bills are still there as well as the mess that the filming crew leaves behind for you to clean up $5000.00 is definately no money.I think that just about clears all of it up.Maybe with this you can see the real light,and not have to go on assuming and judging!As the Bible said it "how can you look at the sawdust in someone elses eye without seeing the plank in your own" Thank YOU and GOD BLESS.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fleetline
    The homosexual agenda has more become a politics thing,in which as some have said here that politics should be left out,I agree whole heartedly,but not the case in this show.it was pushed in my families face the 10 days that were filmed.
    Please clarify what you think the homosexual "agenda" is? Also, I'd like to know who is actually teaching this agenda? What do you think "the gays" are trying to obtain in life?

It seems funny to me that most people don't want to be judged,but for people to be able to say the things that you have said about my family,and not even know us is really funny.
    You signed up for this, we didn't. Did you think that the airing of the episode would have people watch, but have no opinions?
    We haven't even been able to see the episode in question yet. When will it air?
    eta: Gay people are judged on every single day, and they're not "known" either. Especially in regards to the marriage issue. But I digress..this is not about homosexual marriage.
    I have gay freinds,I do not hold them being gay against them,I just don't think they should be married.I don't hate homosexuals,nor am I afraid of them.(I will say the spontanious human combustion thing was funny)
    You have homosexual friends??? If whatever bible you're reading states that homosexuality is a sin, how can you bypass that to enable your "friendship" to endure, but not bypass what the bible says about the marriage of homosexuals?
    Last edited by Maveno; 09-22-2005 at 03:02 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast