+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Another "swapped wife" tells her story

I don't know if any one HERE has caught the TNT show, THE WOOL CAP, which ran all of Sunday night. It was a wonderfully touching show about family, regardless of what constitutes that mix.

I went to the TNT website to read up about it, after viewing, and found this inspirational quote about the show from William H. Macy. It pretty much sums up what so many posters on this thread are talking about....love is love, no matter what race/sex/age is involved.

""In Macy's version, Gigot, a building superintendent who wants only to be left alone, and Lou, the suddenly motherless black girl, get off a rocky start together -- but ultimately they become a true family. "I think the long and the short of it, the lesson to be taken from The Wool Cap... (is that) it's families come in all different shapes and sizes and colors these days. And I think it's time for us to take a new look at what is a family. Because they're not all Norman Rockwell paintings."
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Dang it lamikins, I kept seeing that in the lineup (Woolcap), was curious as to what it was...but never went and checked it out.

mom2, I personally don't think it's right that someone would come in my house and talk about sex, politics, religion, etc..whatever I feel is MY duty to talk/teach my child.
    The woman is only there for 2 weeks, it's not as if she's a long time family friend, grandma, aunt, uncle.. know what I mean?
    She's a total stranger, who feels like it's her "duty" to instill something to help these girls who are probably "not getting help" from their gay fathers (I'm thinking that that's why she felt the need to talk to the girls). How does she know what the dads have planned for "that discussion", or maybe they already did talk to them. I highly doubt the gay dad that went to her house spoke to her sons about sex.

Personally, wouldn't you be bothered if a lesbian came into your home and spoke to your son/daughter about sex and when he should or shouldn't have it?
    It's the same thing here.. a heterosexual woman comes into their home and talks to the girls about sex & abstinence.
    It's NOT her place.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    You know I have to agree with that. Every family should have a talk with their kids as to what they think is right and wrong. To have a total stranger come in and push their agenda as far as signing a pledge card or whatever is really out of line. Have a talk what she does with her kids - sure . Even say what she believes - ok . But don't push your views on how you think morality should be on my kids. It's way different than than asking a kid to help with chores or something.

As for the "getting help" from the gay fathers part , I have a feeling the dads are probably way tougher on them and any boyfriends, than the straight mom might think. Having 2 dads instead of 1 asking where are you going , who is gonna be there , what time will you be home , what do we know about this guy - must be a challenge for the girls. They must have been laughing their heads off at her naivete.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eny
    They must have been laughing their heads off at her naivete.
    That's what I was thinking too!

I really, REALLY hope they show this Swap and don't cancel it.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

What really gets me is these people SIGNED UP FOR THIS SHOW. I cannot believe the claims these people are making. As an Atheist, if someone tried to preach Jesus to MY child, you bet I would be upset...however, if I were signing up for a show I would have to realize and READ THE FINE PRINT that anything is possible. They signed up- so they really should stop their bitching!
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Sad, just plain sad. Did the husband really think that he was "wife swapping" iin a "swinging" sort of way? It's not like he was gonna sleep with the "wife" even if she was a woman. I really think think that any trauma he incurred was of his own doing. As for his college, I'm sure that he would have been responsible for making the arrangements, that the production crew would have provided validation to the administration, but that would be it. I really doubt that there's gonna be any "We really learned something about others and ourselves" ending here. Oh yeah, about the "we got nothing for our time" statement, other families have said that they've received $5000.00 for doing the show. Granted that's not what "Trading Spouses" gives, but it's not nothing.

I was wondering when they were going to do this. I can't wait until they do the Lesbian version.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 11-23-2004 at 04:45 PM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

In my opinion the straight mom who ended up with the gay guy was the winner. I would much rather spend a week or two with a guy I liked than a straight guy that I didn't feel comfortable around. Some of my best friends have been gay guys.
    The straight guy seemed to have problems that just came to light during the swap. Kind of makes you wonder how secure he is in his sexuality, doesn't it?
    I agree that it wasn't the moms place to discuss sex with the girls. If the girls initiated the conversation, then maybe you could just let them explain their concerns and help out, but not try to tell them what to do. That rarely works anyway.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by baraka
    Why do they always find this particular type of GLE (good little evangelical)? There are lots of Christians who would not have reacted in this manner (I mean wanting medical treatment for the "stress", oh please!). I get tired of people assuming because of my faith that I am either close minded or right wing or homophobic or some other such lable that doesn't apply to me at all. I realize of course, that they're going for tension and drama, but still - can't they just try to break the stereotype?...

They have... I know, I was there.

Aguirre/Ray Episode
    Wednesday, Dec. 8th

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Personally, wouldn't you be bothered if a lesbian came into your home and spoke to your son/daughter about sex and when he should or shouldn't have it? It's the same thing here.. a heterosexual woman comes into their home and talks to the girls about sex & abstinence. It's NOT her place.

i agree. i would never be caught on that show, but if i found myself in that kind of position, i would NEVER approach those topics with someone else's children.

I find it interesting that you object to a mother coming in and talking to children about sexual activity, but most of you do not mind the discussion about sex that happens in school. The tone of many of the messages suggest that many of you favor passing out condoms in school or perhaps even birth control clinics in school. This is often done without parent consent and often with no knowledge of what is happening on the part of the parent.

I can not believe that the gay dad did not know what the swapped wife was doing. They may have even chosen to do the swap with the hopes of giving their daughters exposure to some of these ideas.

The fact is that these parents (on both sides) traded one half of their partnership for a complete stranger. If they were going to be picky about what their children were exposed to, they never would have agreed to this show in the first place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast