+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 110

Thread: Episode 7 preview: 11/10

  1. #1
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    44
    Posts
    40,432

    Episode 7 preview: 11/10

    A STRICT, VEGETARIAN, FORMER NAVY WIFE WHO DISCIPLINES HER CHILDREN
    TRADES PLACES WITH A LIVING-LARGE, JUNK FOOD-EATING MOTHER WHO
    ALLOWS HER CHILDREN FREE REIN, ON ABC'S "WIFE SWAP"




    Each week, from across the country, two families with very different values are chosen to take part in "Wife Swap." In a two-week challenge, the wives from the two families exchange husbands, children and lives (but not bedrooms) to discover what it's like to live a very different woman's life. It's a mind-blowing experiment that often changes their lives forever. This week, in "Bittner/Reimer," a strict, vegetarian, ex-Navy wife who disciplines her children swaps lives with a junk food-eating, living-large mother who allows her two headstrong teens free rein, on "Wife Swap," airing WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 10 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

    Melissa Reimers (43), a straight-laced stay-at-home mother from South Florida, and her husband, Paul (45), a former U.S. Navy lieutenant, keep a tight rein on their five children: Molly, 15, Coby, 13, Jordan, 11, Jay, 10 and Lucy, 8. Melissa home-schools her children to keep them pure and protect them from negative outside influences, and the family attends church twice on Sundays. The kids are managed with military-like precision and lots and lots of rules: no running in the house, no talking back, no dating, limited TV and many daily chores. The family adheres to a strict vegetarian diet, with candy permitted only once a week. Obedience is required 24/7. When the children misbehave, the Reimers discipline them with a leather strap called "the whacker."

    But stern Melissa is about to get the jolt of her life when she swaps places with 38-year-old bus driver mom Cindy Bittner, head of a boisterous, junk food-loving family from Virginia. Cindy's husband, Steve, 40, is a customer service representative and stepfather to Cindy's spoiled daughters, Blake, 15 and Stevie, 19. In their free time, the family watches television and argues. The Bittners encourage their daughters to be independent and freethinking, with no restrictions on dress or behavior. Blake is allowed to be alone in her bedroom with her boyfriend, and Stevie neither works nor attends school. Cindy does the majority of the housework, with only occasional help from the girls.

    In the first week of the swap, Cindy gets a (bad) taste of a structured, healthy, lifestyle and also home-schools the Reimers children, while Melissa has to bite her tongue watching the Bittner girls behave as they please. But in the second week of the swap, when the rules are changed and the tables are turned, Cindy shakes things up by installing satellite TV in the Reimers home and allows the children to attend school for the first time in their lives. Meanwhile, Melissa faces rebellion when she lays down the law with the Bittner teens and imposes her boot camp-style of parenting. When the swap is over, does anyone retain any newfound insights?

    "Wife Swap" is an RDF Media production. It was created by Stephen Lambert and is executive-produced by Lambert and Jenny Crowther of RDF Media ("Faking It" and "Junkyard Wars") and Michael Davies of Diplomatic ("Who Wants to Be a Millionaire"). Wendy Roth is the co-executive producer.

    A TV parental guideline will be assigned closer to airdate.

  2. #2
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    19,180
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Obedience is required 24/7. When the children misbehave, the Reimers discipline them with a leather strap called "the whacker."
    This scared me.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  3. #3
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    187
    This one already aired...

    At least it already aired here in The Netherlands.

    Last sunday to be precise.

    The obedience household is scary, and the husband is a total pushover, I was amazed at the manner in which the household was run, devoid of all joy and life.
    The other family was just as dysfunctional in it's own little manner, mostly because of Cindy, who should get her feet on the ground and realize that some discipline is needed.

    But seriously, the children of Drill Sergeant have no real childhood, they're in bootcamp, from cradle to grave.

  4. #4
    Maine-iac LATAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maine, but originally from New Jersey
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairon
    This one already aired...

    At least it already aired here in The Netherlands.

    Last sunday to be precise.

    The obedience household is scary, and the husband is a total pushover, I was amazed at the manner in which the household was run, devoid of all joy and life.
    The other family was just as dysfunctional in it's own little manner, mostly because of Cindy, who should get her feet on the ground and realize that some discipline is needed.

    But seriously, the children of Drill Sergeant have no real childhood, they're in bootcamp, from cradle to grave.
    I strongly disagree with some of the "rule changes" that are allowed that strike at the parents fundamental beliefs or livlihoods (thinking the dairy farm) I think it is horrible that core beliefs could and would be trampled on, regardless of what the "new" mom believes.
    :rolleyes
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

  5. #5
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by LATAS
    I strongly disagree with some of the "rule changes" that are allowed that strike at the parents fundamental beliefs or livlihoods (thinking the dairy farm) I think it is horrible that core beliefs could and would be trampled on, regardless of what the "new" mom believes.
    :rolleyes
    I think that there is something very healthy with having a fundamentally different perspective.

    If you whip your children with a belt, which they've christianed 'the Whacker' out of fear, then there is nothing wrong if someone forbids you from using it, or using physical punishments for the children.

    It also places things in a perspective. If you beat your children into submission and run a household where there is no joy or laughter, if your children fear you, if you keep your children well away from enjoying their childhood, then there is nothing wrong to see how someone else takes care of things, there's also nothing wrong to experience it.

    Livelihood is something different, that's a factor that you can't change. That's what brings the bread home.

    And even then... remember the household with four nannies and three children? Father and mother didn't deserve to have children, they spent one hour a day with their children, the actual raising of the brats was left to the devices of nannies.
    If you don't want to raise children, if you don't want to spend time with them, then don't have them.

    It's the same with this household, all the while I was wondering why these people ever thought about having children, if they're going to keep them locked in a system of fear and ultra-discipline. They don't want children, they want drones, little versions of themselves.

  6. #6
    Maine-iac LATAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maine, but originally from New Jersey
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairon
    I think that there is something very healthy with having a fundamentally different perspective.

    If you whip your children with a belt, which they've christianed 'the Whacker' out of fear, then there is nothing wrong if someone forbids you from using it, or using physical punishments for the children.

    It also places things in a perspective. If you beat your children into submission and run a household where there is no joy or laughter, if your children fear you, if you keep your children well away from enjoying their childhood, then there is nothing wrong to see how someone else takes care of things, there's also nothing wrong to experience it.

    Livelihood is something different, that's a factor that you can't change. That's what brings the bread home.

    And even then... remember the household with four nannies and three children? Father and mother didn't deserve to have children, they spent one hour a day with their children, the actual raising of the brats was left to the devices of nannies.
    If you don't want to raise children, if you don't want to spend time with them, then don't have them.

    It's the same with this household, all the while I was wondering why these people ever thought about having children, if they're going to keep them locked in a system of fear and ultra-discipline. They don't want children, they want drones, little versions of themselves.
    I agree with what you said, but I was thinking of what I posted earlier... that, as a Christian, I shouldn't, say, go into a Jewish home and expect them to eat ham. If I am going into a vegetarian home, I should not expect them to eat meat. And as weird as I thought it was, if I worked on a dairy farm, I should not go into a house where they drink skim milk and demand they drink whole milk. (The wanting soda was a different matter... I agreed with the "drink milk" rule then, but still, nothing wrong with skim if it was what they were used to.)
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

  7. #7
    Team Choca. Brad who?! Alanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,066
    THe whipping mom sounds like a freak. Ok, you may hit your kids with a 'the whacker' but to announce it on tv as if it's something to be proud of or a major achievement, what the heck is that?! Besides, aren't there other ways to punish than a whip?? I wonder at what age they start, as soon as the kid can misbehave, so what 2, 3 years old?? That's uhh extreme.
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

  8. #8
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairon
    This one already aired...

    At least it already aired here in The Netherlands.

    Last sunday to be precise.

    The obedience household is scary, and the husband is a total pushover, I was amazed at the manner in which the household was run, devoid of all joy and life.
    The other family was just as dysfunctional in it's own little manner, mostly because of Cindy, who should get her feet on the ground and realize that some discipline is needed.

    But seriously, the children of Drill Sergeant have no real childhood, they're in bootcamp, from cradle to grave.


    The husband who is a push over may also be spending quality time on the buisness end of the "whacker"

  9. #9
    Team Choca. Brad who?! Alanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,066
    OMGosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is probably the funniest thing I've read all week!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

  10. #10
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by robbied
    The husband who is a push over may also be spending quality time on the buisness end of the "whacker"
    Oh god this is hysterical!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.