+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Episode 7 preview: 11/10

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairon
    snip.. Seriously, I don't care if it's a reed slapped on their hands, a belt, or this 'whacker', if you need something like that to discipline your children, you have issues and you've crossed over into the realm of abuse..

To each his own, but abuse defined legally, is leaving long lasting marks, cuts, welts, large bruises... While I wouldn't use an implement, I don't need to use my hand either (which can just as easily leave welts). However, I'm not going to get hysterical about others practices either, as long as it's not abuse.

Once you use a tool, it becomes painfully clear that you've put too much thought in physically punishing your children, because you've gone out of your way to use a tool, where a hand is more than enough...
    Knowing the punishment ahead of time, and being clear ahead of time keeps knee jerk reactions and spanking out of anger out of the equation. Thus putting thought into it ahead of time keeps things from being arbitrary, knee jerk and done out of anger.

The Other Family is so organised that even spontaneous acts of fun are planned. If any of those children would ever have a problem, they wouldn't ever talk to their parents. Because they don't see their parents as people they can trust, they see them as authoritarian symbols whom they have no emotional bond with.
    You don't feel emotions or sympathy for your drill-sergant, and you don't expect that person to feel any of those things for you.

They have been robbed of their childhood, in a way that their parents haven't let them experience what it is to be young and spontaneous, their parents don't allow them to make honest mistakes. They've forced mistakes to go underground, forcing their children to keep secrets from them because they fear physical and mental retribution, not understanding or sympathy.

When they reach their teens, when they find the world beyond mother's ungodly strict regime, they won't be able to deal with it, because they've been raised in a vacuum....
    Wow, take a 1 hour TV show, subtract 20 minutes of commercials, and break it in half for 2 families and you gleaned all of this insight from about 20 minutes of content clearly edited for entertainment. That's drama bordering on hysterics.

It's a common thing with teens, the things you forbid them to do, become more attractive, the things you shelter your children from will be the things they yearn for.

It's why so many teenagers fall into a social trap. They haven't learned how to deal with freedom, and they'll do everything in secret, the call of the forbidden fruit is far greater for them than for others..
    I won't argue that this happens, BUT also the opposite happens. Kids grow up with boundaries, learn self discipline and control at an early age and live normal happy lives, without the need to do those things.

I can envision two different strict families. One is just strict, while the other is strict, yet done in love and with love. The latter would be less likely to follow your hypothetical.

Also home-schooling lacks one vital thing, it lacks the ability for children to develop themselves socially...
    Prove it! So far not one scientific study agrees with your point. All studies, and there arn't a whole lot, show that the average home schooled child is socialized just fine, and has the benefit of being better socialized with adults.

http://old.hsu.edu/faculty/worthf/social.html

IMHO...lack of corporal punishment is the root cause for the general lack of respect shown by most kids today. Kids today have no fear of repercussions for anything they do. I screwed up as a kid, I got the belt. Believe me, I screwed up as little as possible because I didn't want the belt. I am a 43 year old, well adjusted professional now and you know what? Thinking back, every time I got the belt, I deserved it. I can't think of one time where in my mind, (even at the time) I ever thought I was being abused. Today, you raise your voice and Child Protective Services is on your doorstep.

When I started watching this show, I fully expected to hate the strict family. By the end of the show, I was way more tolerent of the strict family and simply could not stand any of the girls/women of the Bitner Family. The way the Mom acted toward Navy Dad was inexcusable.

Also home-schooling lacks one vital thing, it lacks the ability for children to develop themselves socially.
    Oh, I don't know about that. I was homeschooled my entire life, and I think I turned out ok. I wouldn't argue with the idea that children need social interaction with other kids and adults, but school doesn't necessarily have to be that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Oh, I don't know about that. I was home schooled my entire life, and I think I turned out ok. I wouldn't argue with the idea that children need social interaction with other kids and adults, but school doesn't necessarily have to be that place.
    I agree! If "social interaction" in a Public/Private school consists of : hazing; beatings; drugs; peer pressure; expensive clothes to be "cool" and a myriad of other "benefits", home schooling might be a viable alternative.

With the proliferation of TV shows showing the hyena pack mentality of school kids (C.S.I./Without a Trace/Cold Case) and movies (Mean Girls; Heathers; 13 Going on 30), if I had school age kids, I would seriously investigate Home Schooling.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    I think you are giving the Cabbage Patch Kids a bad rap here. I think that THEY are very cute. This "kid" who is actually a grown woman needs to get a life and get out of the house. It didn't say what she does, did it? Like college, job or whatever else she might be involved in. she sure looks spooky when she's angry though, doesn't she? I could understand her not wanting controlling mom to touch her face. I can't stand that either. It is a common practice for people who want to let you know who's boss.
    Now the fifteen year old with the boyfriend appendage is probably headed for disaster. Her parents don't seem to notice but we do, don't we? When she was getting ready for the date she had on a top that was too revealing for a grown woman let alone a young teenager. I agree with those of you who think that there will probably be an addition to the family before anyone is ready for it. The sad thing to me is that the family probably won't even be disturbed. After all,"he's just like a member of the family".
    Muduh, The recap I read about this show, was that the 19 year old did not have a job or go to school, she in my eyes "exists". I too think cabbage patch kids would be offended. I have also known people who touch your face with both hands, and yes people who want/need to be in control do that. *shudders* I really dislike that however. Babys having babies, and I am sure the boyfriend appendage won't have a decent job either.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Referring back to the VA family being on the late night show last night, the host asked the punk Boyfriend if "he had a job." He replied, "No." Also, apparently he actually lives with the family now; in what room does he sleep, I don't know.

Then, the host asked the boyfriend if "he is a virgin?" which answer to reveal, and then he just shrugged and said, "Yah." to the virgin question. So, the host than asked Sluggo, the oldest daughter, if SHE felt the boyfriend was still a virgin. (I don't 'get' the Virgin Question. ) Sluggo turned from her food on the table, looked at boyfriend, burst out laughing and said, 'I guess. Yeah, I think he is."

Lamest interview I've seen in a lo-o-o-o-n-g time!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Referring back to the VA family being on the late night show last night, the host asked the punk Boyfriend if "he had a job." He replied, "No." Also, apparently he actually lives with the family now; in what room does he sleep, I don't know.

Then, the host asked the boyfriend if "he is a virgin?" which answer to reveal, and then he just shrugged and said, "Yah." to the virgin question. So, the host than asked Sluggo, the oldest daughter, if SHE felt the boyfriend was still a virgin. (I don't 'get' the Virgin Question. ) Sluggo turned from her food on the table, looked at boyfriend, burst out laughing and said, 'I guess. Yeah, I think he is."

Lamest interview I've seen in a lo-o-o-o-n-g time!
    Sounds like a real winner interview... boyfriend sleeps where? her room of course, Methinks neither one is a virgin, but just an opinion.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I thougt Cindy was just horrible. Her daughters were horrible. I don't see how her husband could love her. She was so foul mouthed and childish.
    I liked the military family. I think the kids could have more fun, but what is so wrong with being disciplined? I don't think there was anything wrong with the way military mom got after the 14 yr old to do her homework. It's about time somebody did.

I had a one-time only shot at watching this show. Good lord! Why are homeschoolers and vegetarians always portrayed as being so wierd by mainstream t.v.? I have homeschooled (for one year) and don't eat meat (but my husband one of my kids do), but I am not a control freak! And if you say I am then you have to do twenty push-ups.

That Virginia woman was insane. Too bad she was so graceless as she had some valid points (lack of fun and over-regimentation and the Whacker!). However, feeding your kids a diet of crap does not make you a good parent. Oddly. My kids eat the occasional crap (Halloween has just ended after all), but they get equally excited over smoothies and homemade cookies. That diet was just gross!

Quote Originally Posted by syd18
    I thougt Cindy was just horrible. Her daughters were horrible. I don't see how her husband could love her. She was so foul mouthed and childish.
    I liked the military family. I think the kids could have more fun, but what is so wrong with being disciplined? I don't think there was anything wrong with the way military mom got after the 14 yr old to do her homework. It's about time somebody did.
    I couldn't agree with you more, syd18. The more and more that I remember bits from the show, the more I loath Cindy. She's rude, loud, obnoxious...and Proud of it! Things she should NOT have done:

1) Signed up for the show! From the first day, she forgot about the rules: Rule: For the first we, moms follow the FAMILY'S rules! Her strop over not being able to buy a bag of crisps, and then running into the rain, to pout.

2) Making vegetarians eat meat. I was a vegi for 30 years and when the body has been meatless for any length of time, it can rip through the system. Passing on BAD habits like SLOTH, JUNK FOOD, and SNOTTY POUTY MOUTHS set just what type of example....for ANY kids?

3) Ripping Military Dad a new one when he didn't follow....THE RULE...the all important...PINATA rule. For Crimmeny-Sake, the kids didn't care how many times it was whacked...the kids want the CANDY! Cindy is a kill-joy and when she's not the center of attention, her bad manners attract attention.

4) Slapping her husband's hand away when he was reaching for the other husbands hand, to shake it. Oh. My. God! Talk about being a bossy cow! Cindy needs a T-shirt that says, "It's all about ME!"

I can only guess that Cindy's husband (Steve?) has such low esteem that being with her is a step up from a blow-up doll.

+ Reply to Thread