+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Episode 7 preview: 11/10

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairon
    snip...

If you whip your children with a belt, which they've christianed 'the Whacker' out of fear, ...
    There is a big difference between spanking as a punishment and "Whipping into submission" - excessive drama often is neighbors to sensationalisn.

and the "whacker" was too short and soft to really hurt - certainly a belt would have been worse.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by redmermaid
    .... snipp. That family will be fascinating to see in 10 years - they'll all be on Dr. Phil to deal with the many ways their parents emotionally abused them.
    Doubt it. The kids will grow up to be "good catches" in both employment and in their personal lives. They will be fairly well adjusted and able to articulate their feelings without swearing and screaming.

You don't see many Amish youths, even those that reject the Amish lifestyle, on Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer saying how horrible their life is.

To homeschool is to make an enormous sacrifice for your children, it shows that they (althoug a bit too strict for my tastes) make enormous sacrifices and show incredible love for their family.

FORT Newbie
    At least the Raimers stuck to the rules and the game, and learned from the experience and grew as a family. Cindy intentionally broke the rules, as did Paul, when everything was said and done, Cindy and Paul learned the least, but as far as the potential for being a drag on society, they had the most to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter
    The look on Paul's face during the Pinata bashing was a hoot! Sort of like..this is the most fun he'd had in years! To bad Cindy rained on his parade for him. Speaking of Cindy...was it just me...or did her oldest daughter look like a cabbage patch doll? Just wondering...
    I wonder if Paul even understood that whacking the Piniata was part of the fun. He may have thought that the candy was the big deal. I agree that he seemed to be having a lot of fun with it. I thought it was sad to see how much the Florida kids wanted to attend school. It seems that the parents could allow them to go and supplement their education if they there there are shortcomings. Keeping them away from society is not the way to develop well adjusted and educated young people.
    I think you are giving the Cabbage Patch Kids a bad rap here. I think that THEY are very cute. This "kid" who is actually a grown woman needs to get a life and get out of the house. It didn't say what she does, did it? Like college, job or whatever else she might be involved in. And her dad doing her laundry was a bit much. She might be an attractive person if she had a makeover and got rid of the attitude. she sure looks spooky when she's angry though, doesn't she? I could understand her not wanting controlling mom to touch her face. I can't stand that either. It is a common practice for people who want to let you know who's boss.
    Now the fifteen year old with the boyfriend appendage is probably headed for disaster. Her parents don't seem to notice but we do, don't we? When she was getting ready for the date she had on a top that was too revealing for a grown woman let alone a young teenager. I agree with those of you who think that there will probably be an addition to the family before anyone is ready for it. The sad thing to me is that the family probably won't even be disturbed. After all,"he's just like a member of the family".
    Last edited by Muduh; 11-11-2004 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk
    Doubt it. The kids will grow up to be "good catches" in both employment and in their personal lives. They will be fairly well adjusted and able to articulate their feelings without swearing and screaming.

You don't see many Amish youths, even those that reject the Amish lifestyle, on Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer saying how horrible their life is.

To home school is to make an enormous sacrifice for your children, it shows that they (although a bit too strict for my tastes) make enormous sacrifices and show incredible love for their family.
    I was just watching LIVE! WITH REGIS AND KELLY, and Kelly was bubbling over with her love for WIFE SWAP. Regis, who claimed to not have ever actually seen the show, said, "Oh, is it one of those shows where one wife is fat, one is thin; one is sloppy and one is a Neat Freak; and one is a Vegetarian and the other a Meat-Eater?"

Kelly laughed and accused Regis of actually watching the show but he claimed that he hadn't and that the plots were the same "dreary people."

Guess Regis is smarter than I ever gave him credit for!!

If any of the kids goes onto a Talk Show, it will be the Blob Family from VA. And it would have to be Jerry Springer, where the 14 year old is knocked up and accusing her 17 year old boyfriend of cheating on her.

The Florida kids, when allowed to be "kids" didn't appear to have a single bit of trouble eating junk food, laughing, or being dopey. What that shows me is that once released from their parents care, they will still be able to hang loose, but...Dang it!...they will also know how to fold sheets, clean the kitchen, the girl is in ballet, and they can get a GOOD job with their education.

The VA kids, however, have the BIGGEST LOSER and welfare ahead of them. After all, the 19 year old BLIMP was living at home, doing NOTHING and had NO. JOB.

So much for what pampering your kids does for them in regards to benefits.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Fan
    After watching this, my kids turned to me and said, "Dearest Mother, we worship the ground you walk on; please never leave us." Or words to that effect.

By the way, I think we stopped at that milk shake stand while on vacation. Their milkshakes are nothing to complain about, believe me, and I don't recall feeling virtuous after consuming one.

Actually you could make one decent family by putting the permissive dad with the military kids. Everybody else should go away.
    Last edited by weary; 11-11-2004 at 12:46 PM.

To homeschool is to make an enormous sacrifice for your children, it shows that they (althoug a bit too strict for my tastes) make enormous sacrifices and show incredible love for their family.
    It's interesting how we watch the same show and all have such different ideas. I think the strict families kids will probably be successful providing they are always under a strict supervisor. I don't see any of them ever thinking for themselves.I doubt they would dare articulate their feelings in any form.
    I agree that in many cases home schooling is for the benefit of the children. I know people who home school. They also have many occasions to interact with other families. From the way these kids acted in school. being so happy to be around other kids, I get the feeling that they are very isolated from all of society. That is hardly conducive to a well adjusted life style later on.
    I felt that the home schooling was more a control issue than a sacifice made out of love. I saw very little love in that house.

FORT Fan
    There is a big difference between spanking as a punishment and "Whipping into submission" - excessive drama often is neighbors to sensationalisn.

and the "whacker" was too short and soft to really hurt - certainly a belt would have been worse.
    If you use a tool to spank your children with, then you're on the wrong road. Seriously, I don't care if it's a reed slapped on their hands, a belt, or this 'whacker', if you need something like that to discipline your children, you have issues and you've crossed over into the realm of abuse.

It's cowardly for parents to use such things, if they must feel the need to use physical punishment, then a parent should stick to a flat hand, not a fist, just a hand.
    Once you use a tool, it becomes painfully clear that you've put too much thought in physically punishing your children, because you've gone out of your way to use a tool, where a hand is more than enough.

Cindy and her children might have been globs of fat growing mold on a couch, at least they've had a childhood.

The Other Family is so organised that even spontaneous acts of fun are planned. If any of those children would ever have a problem, they wouldn't ever talk to their parents. Because they don't see their parents as people they can trust, they see them as authoritarian symbols whom they have no emotional bond with.
    You don't feel emotions or sympathy for your drill-sergant, and you don't expect that person to feel any of those things for you.

Also home-schooling lacks one vital thing, it lacks the ability for children to develop themselves socially.

The more you depend on shedules, the weaker you become, because you won't be able to be versatile, you won't be able to deal with flexible situations, you won't be able to properly deal with creativity.

They have been robbed of their childhood, in a way that their parents haven't let them experience what it is to be young and spontaneous, their parents don't allow them to make honest mistakes. They've forced mistakes to go underground, forcing their children to keep secrets from them because they fear physical and mental retribution, not understanding or sympathy.

When they reach their teens, when they find the world beyond mother's ungodly strict regime, they won't be able to deal with it, because they've been raised in a vacuum.

It's a common thing with teens, the things you forbid them to do, become more attractive, the things you shelter your children from will be the things they yearn for.

It's why so many teenagers fall into a social trap. They haven't learned how to deal with freedom, and they'll do everything in secret, the call of the forbidden fruit is far greater for them than for others.

I was allowed to smoke, my parents told me that if I ever was to smoke, I should come out and admit it, it would have been my choice, they wouldn't agree with it, but they wouldn't stop me or ground me for doing it.

Guess what, they took the wind out of my sails, and smoking never had any of the charm it had for my friends of the same age. They thought my parents were cool and lax, but I saw them as spoil-sports, making those little nasty things, my friends dreamt of, lose their glimmer and essence. My friends who did everything in secret did the things they did because it was done in secret.

FORT Newbie

who's the control freak?

When I first watched the show, I thought that Cindy (the heavy mom) was hilarious! The military family freaked me out with the whacker and homeschooling and seemingly rigidness of their lives.

By the end of the show, Cindy pissed me off to no end. Not only was she immature and childish, she had no insight into her own character! She kept complaining and degraded the military dad for his "need for control" and called him "stupid" and an "ass". But, she was JUST as controlling as he was, if not more. Her control is letting children do whatever they want so that she will seem like the 'good guy'. Her control is walking away from a disagreement and having no disregard for other people's viewpoints or feelings or thoughts. Her control is shooting off her mouth and calling other people stupid and ignorant, so that she doesn't have to look at the mess she's making of her own daughters' lives. Yeah, she didn't get anythhing out of the show, because she's too SCARED to give up control and see anyneed for change.

I liked the military family better at the end. At least they were able to talk llike adults and see someone else's point of view. Same with Cindy's husband. He was cool too.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    i still post here occasionally, but tend to back off when the discussion turns into a bashing party. it makes me uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 11-11-2004 at 03:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread