Okay - I'll respectfully disagree with that statement. I think some people who use corporal punishment can mistake fear for respect. I can count on one hand the number of times my parents even laid a hand on me as punishment. The "spankings" we got were more for effect (the anticipation was much worse than the actual punishment)... you know - a few little pops on the butt and that's it. For me, hearing "We are so disappointed" was like a knife in my heart and was WAY worse than being spanked and my parents knew that. I grew up in a house with very few rules. The rules we did have were non-negotiable. Granted, my brother and I were good kids, but our parents taught us respect and self-displine without using the fear of corporal punishment. Anyway... getting down nowOriginally Posted by TrapperJon
Random thoughts about this episode
- That "Miss Melissa" stuff was a bit much - I was waiting for her to pull out the Magic Mirror
- Atlas and Geography from a Christian Perspective? I imagined text like "And then this country was invaded by another group of people in the name of Christ." BTW - please no flaming on that - it was meant sarcastically
- Those VA kids needed some serious discipline! What's with an 18-year old living at home and not either working OR going to school?
- FL dad explaining to the little girl that swimming at that time might be "confusing." His inabillity to communicate with a child when he has 5 of them was just sad.
- I felt sorry for the FL kids when they talked about why they wished they went to public school. Those parents think they're teaching their kids to make "correct" choices, but it doesn't seem like they're being given any choices. When they go out into the real world, they won't know how to deal.
Every week when I watch this show, I'm amazed at how I start out the hour thinking I'll like certain parents and, by the end, my opinion changes completely. I'm also surprised by who ends up growing from the experience (and it's usually not the one I start out liking or identifying with) and who I want to smack (and I'm a pacificist!)!