+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10/27 Episode Discussion **Spoiler**

What always get me about this show is how quick some are to say anything unlike my family or beliefs is evil and wrong. If you are a person who is very judgmental and not open to new ideas different from your own, why go on show where that is exactly what you will experience? Jersey mom said something about being so sad for the Veggie kids because of their living conditions, yet her preteen son is already a pudgy couch patato who seems kind of antisocial and gets no activity at all sitting there playing video games all day. Her daughter has quickly taken on mom's and grandma's obssesive cleaning behavior, and I got a sense hubby was happy to be out from under his wife's obssesive behavior for a few days.

Adolfo was clearly out in space, and he and his wife could clearly stand to clean up a bit, but their kids clearly are more well mannered and adjusted than the Jersey kids. If Jersey mom really is so concerned about childrens' health than she should make her kids, especially the little boy, become more physically active instead of sitting in front of the tv all day. When I was that age, my mom would have never let me slump around on the couch all afternoon, or serve me breakfast in bed, or let me just eat chicken nuggets...

Wow. I actually watched last night and was thinking that at last they got two families who weren't so TOTALLY extreme. I agree the Jersey Mom was the worst of the four, but hey, with a neatnik like "Grandma," I can just bet where the "you people" comes from.
    Did you see the little girls face when Jersey Mom started with "Ohhhh... OHHH... OHHH!!!! Your Mommy is WHITE! Just like ME!" I really got the sense that those kids were better adjusted over all because the look on her face plainly said "Funny. I thought we all were HUMAN."

And, as I posted about the "devil child" a few weeks ago... I'm quite certain Liwwl wittl Mike's Teachers watched and said to themselves, "Ohhh NOW it makes sense."
    I'd be calling DYFS on them. It's called MALNUTRITION.
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

I thought Mike Jr. was kinda funny, especially when he made his little "confessionals" and says "ass" and then says "sorry about the language." I was cracking up. And when he said, with a straight face, "I'm trying to control my anger"

I thought both families were totally messed up. The california people. How do they survive? He's a poet? That pays nowadays? How do they pay the mortgage? What does the wife do all day while the kids are at school? And how do you function in society after you "free yourself" of time constraints. Imagine the conversations with friends.

"Ok. We'll meet you all at the restaurant."

"Great. When do you wanna meet?"

"Love is what we are and tells us who we should be when we are there."

"What?"

Postive notes for the california family. Not letting the TV raise their children. And doing things together as a family, like playing games. Good for them. They're still nuts though. What's the over/under on them having a bong or a special "garden" in the basement?

Jersey family. Kind of boring. Stereotypical Italians with lots of pasta and fighting. Mike Jr. is spoiled out of his mind. He seems smart too, which makes it more of a shame that he's logged into his gamebody 24/7. I give major props to the father for backing up california mom. He understood that they agreed to play by her rules, and he stuck to it (although he wasn't home much so I guess it was easier for him).

FORT Fan
    Jersey mom needs to get on some meds. I can't even find enough to clean for five whole hours once a week! And no, I don't have dust bunnies or ants.

I did like Jersey dad backing up Veggie Mom. He seems like a stand-up guy who lets his wife run everything within the four walls of their home.

Breakfast in bed every day? Can't get dressed on your own? Can't comb your own hair? What kind of favour is Jersey Mom doing her kids? And that's the trade-off for having a clean house?

I am going to get myself a job as a poet and finger-paint artist. Apparently there's a lot of money in it. Money enough to hire someone to clean my house for me and allow more time for finger-painting.

Despite being way out there, Veggie Dad has a good heart as does Veggie Mom. She really managed to keep her cool when faced with the bratty Jersey Kids. Her own kids were so cool, so polite and respectful. Good job, Veggie Parents!

FORT Fan
    I didn't catch all of this - but one thing I don't understand is why Veggie mom can't feed her kids pasta? What is bad/un-vegetarian about baked ziti if you don't use meat sauce? The kids were excited about eating it!
    And meditating two hours a day.......I dunno. If that's the best thing you can find to do with your time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Art_930
    She really managed to keep her cool when faced with the bratty Jersey Kids. Her own kids were so cool, so polite and respectful. Good job, Veggie Parents!
    Not only did she keep her cool with the bratty kids...what about with the mother-in-law! Boy she was really coming down on her! She handled that with grace!
    kitty-cats rule!

Quote Originally Posted by leeinsmyrna
    Not only did she keep her cool with the bratty kids...what about with the mother-in-law! Boy she was really coming down on her! She handled that with grace!
    She probably kept telling herself that in mother-in-law's next life, "Ma" was coming back as a pig.

Now THAT would be karma!!!

TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    Imagine the conversations with friends.

"Ok. We'll meet you all at the restaurant."

"Great. When do you wanna meet?"

"Love is what we are and tells us who we should be when we are there."

"What?"
    I know, I wish they would have been a little more specific about how they go about living in a world where time (such as school for the kids) is quite important. I would love to know how that works, and how they support themselves. Like Art_930 says, maybe I should look into writing poems and drawing pictures.....obviously there's something going on here, I know nothing about.

I give major props to the father for backing up california mom. He understood that they agreed to play by her rules, and he stuck to it (although he wasn't home much so I guess it was easier for him).
    Yes! I was just logging on to say that I thought both dads were pretty good about keeping the rules of the game engaged. I was surprised that NJ dad stuck up for veggie Mom....I truly expected him to react like most of them do.....aide and abet the kids. Also, him at least trying the yoga, and not complaining the whole time, was a very generous and open thing for him to do. He said later he probably would never do it again, but at least at the moment with her, he wasn't chastising her, or complaining about it. I'm so glad he stuck to his guns in regard to his son. And the veggie Dad stepping aside and allowing the kids to try the ziti, and then asking her to leave the recipe....that was great! I love this show.....it's entertaining and enlightening. Plus, finding out your family is quite normal in comparison to these typical loons is an added bonus.

LATAS, loved your comment about grandma!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

FORT Regular
    After the wildly spoiled teenage brats we've seen I thought the Stallone girl was sort of refreshing. The "WHAT no tv? etc." meltdown notwithstanding, I was THRILLED to see a teenage girl who knew her way around a vacuum cleaner.

I liked this one as more of a 'cultural' exchange as opposed to the previous ones where there's the woman you want to hit in the head with a shovel and the other one. The chubby Stallone kid couldn't hold a candle to some of the brats we've been treated to and I'll give the teenager a few points for knowing her way around a vacuum cleaner (and give her some slack for the over the top emotional stuff for being...well a teenage girl).

Think the Stallone mom needs to have a backbone with Captain Chicken Nugget--and I was frankly appalled that in addition to having just a plate of chicken nuggets for dinner that the plate was mounded up with at LEAST 15-20 of the buggers.

Think veggie mom is fine. Really a little surprised to see that Stallone mom seemed to think that no weekday tv or processed foods was bad. I'd certainly let the kids stay in bed because I don't think they are getting any great spiritual instruction while snoring on the couch & I'd think it would make them reject it rather than embrace it. (And the dad's monologue makes me think that he'd be pretty happy running a cult).

Quote Originally Posted by leeinsmyrna

I agree. I also agree with Art about the Jersey dad backing up Veggie mom. I wish I could have been with the Jersey mom as she watched the episode last night. I can't imagine that she would be happy with how supportive and respectful her husband was to the substitute wife and her meditation, etc. Veggie mom and kids handled the whole situation with respect and kindness.

BTW, the mother in law freaked out my husband. What a scary woman!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast