+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 9/29 recap: "A Tale of Four Nannies and one Woodpile"

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Regardless if your parents are middle class, poor or wealthy, it's the QUALITY of the time that parents spend with the children that matters. A stressed out "desperate housewife" that is home 24/7 is NOT going to be a good mother, just as a snobby, chronically gone wealthy mom is not.

As always, it boils down to "quality time" vs. "quantity time."
    I made that comment based on middle class parents lamenting to me about how their relationships change with their children once they are older. The children become preoccupied with their own friends, lifestyle, and career which is only normal.

I am one of the few posters that did not have a problem with the Spolanskys. It is not unusual for middle class families to also employ help like nannies, maids, and landscapers. It became quite common during the nineties for working mothers and fathers.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlady
    I made that comment based on middle class parents lamenting to me about how their relationships change with their children once they are older. The children become preoccupied with their own friends, lifestyle, and career which is only normal.

I am one of the few posters that did not have a problem with the Spolanskys. It is not unusual for middle class families to also employ help like nannies, maids, and landscapers. It became quite common during the nineties for working mothers and fathers.
    Here, Here! And thanks for clarifying your post. Yuppers, I'm right there with you, with my middle class friends "lamenting" about the absence of their grown children from their life.

This is completely a guess, and I may be 100% wrong with this, but this is how I see it: With the wealthy, there is NO excuse, financially, about being together. My friend Lynn (illustrated above) flew out to New York, where her daughter moved once married, on a weekly basis when the first grand-baby was born. She stayed with her daughter for 2 months, to aid her with the baby and make her life more comfortable.

Now, what middle class family can afford to jet from Chicago to New York multiple times AND take off 2 months work?

Also, from what I see in rural Michigan, where I live, (representing the poor, financially), most of my friends have virtually ALL of their immediate kith and kin live within an hours drive of each other, so it's again easy for kids and parents to stay in touch. These people are "life-ers", the people who grew up in a small town, only know a small town, and only WANT to live in a small town. Big City life holds NO appeal for these people. Some of my friends in rural Michigan have lived here so long, they have ROADS named after their pioneering families!

So, that leaves the middle class: people with just enough money to meet the mortgage, maybe fly home every other year...and the distances that the kids usually have to travel from their NEW city to their home makes it difficult to coordinate travel.

I'm going to assume that your middle class friends that are complaining were loving parents and it wasn't neglect or abuse that keeps the kids at bay. No matter what income bracket you fall into, you don't deserve to have your family visit you if you were abusive.

Anywho, thanks for adding more info to your first post, sugarlady.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins

Now, what middle class family can afford to jet from Chicago to New York multiple times AND take off 2 months work?

I'm going to assume that your middle class friends that are complaining were loving parents and it wasn't neglect or abuse that keeps the kids at bay. No matter what income bracket you fall into, you don't deserve to have your family visit you if you were abusive.
    I have some friends and relatives with small children that work and live in different states from their immediate family members. I am from Louisiana and this is quite common due to a lack luster state economy. Lucky, for some of the people that I know in this situation they were able to get additional help from retired mothers who were more than happy to accommodate the family after the birth of a baby.

I was only referring to parents that were used to being involved with all aspects of their children lives and were having a hard time adjusting to or anticipating the normal transition that occurs after children start dating, attending college, and working.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlady
    I was only referring to parents that were used to being involved with all aspects of their children lives and were having a hard time adjusting to or anticipating the normal transition that occurs after children start dating, attending college, and working.
    Gotcha!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345