+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 10/06 Show Discussion - Tree Huggers Vs The Hunters

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    DetGuy, you're not the only one. Sure, they were a tad out there, and Amy seriously is over the edge, but confederate flags are offensive and killing for mere sport is just wrong in my book, especially when the deer aren't armed with rifles as well. (You don't see them make use of the animals that were killed, and mounting ducks is just freaky to me.) In my house growing up, we kids did not have chores that conflicted with school work, and clearly it was during the school year. Our job was to get good grades. It's easy to figure out how to clean; it's much harder to learn calculus on the fly. The weekend was time for chores. Having an articulate child who doesn't by rote say that ma'am crap is much better than a mindless response. It does not show respect, it's more a habit than anything. Yeah, we are quite the anomaly for a family in the *deep* south, but we all turned out as self sufficient members of society.

But if you had to live next door to one of them would you pick the judgmental one or the drama queen? Before you answer now remember that DQ has a LOT of spare time, to visit neighbors. She doesn't like to cook or clean so she would probably love dinner invitations and such.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    killing for mere sport is just wrong in my book,
    I agree with that. I hate when I hear about people who go out and shoot wolves, simply because they don't like wolves. But if people are shooting deer or moose or partridge for food, I see no difference between that and buying steak at the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff
    I'm a little surprised more hasn't been said about Aletha. Aletha was cold, judgemental, overbearing and just plain unlikable.
    I didn't mind her too much, although I felt like she thought that children should be seen and not heard, which I strongly disagree with. I believe kids should be encouraged to have their own opinions, and to voice said opinions. As long as it's done politely. I hate people who interrupt others, be they tall or small.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Given those BBQs that the Smoke family had, I'd easily live next to the hippy family. I'm at work during the day, and get home late every night, so drop-ins wouldn't be a problem. Loud outdoor parties...well, they'd have to be waaaay down the road! The unlocked gun cabinet worries me greatly as well. A friend of mine who is a hunter was cleaning his gun & shot a hole thru his wall & into his neighbor's house, only missing the neighbor's kid by a few inches. Let's just say since then, I haven't been real comfortable with hunting rifles.

FORT Newbie

flag

To let you know a few things they didn't enlighten you on the show. 24 hours a day for 10 days gives you a lot of footage. They extracted out of that an hour worth of video. So there is a lot that went on that never made it on air.

They never told you that Jeff served the US during the Gulf War. He fought for our country. The problem he has hanging up the flag is not because he is unpatriotic. After serving overseas, he feels that it may seem arrogant to display the flag. To some like Aletha who may feel its patriotic to display the flag did not, nor her family sacrifice themselves to protect it. Jeff did fight and he has every right not to display the flag if he chose not too. He may not feel it is his place to force his views on anyone else.

Obviously the theme of the show were Guns and parenting. There were alot more things simmering beneath the surface. The topic of race never made it into the show, but it was prevalent behind the scenes. You may have seen Aletha try to enforce some rules and that you may think that it was not out of place. What they didn't show you was that Aletha was a hippocrite and many of the things that she pointed out wrong with the Beaver's household was going on at her own home.

The final confrontation was more heated than what you saw on screen. It almost boiled to the point of "Jerry Springer" level.

You are probably asking how do I know this? I know people.

RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    I don't understand the problem they have with the American flag. Can someone enlighten me?

LUCYGRL

Tree people vs. Inbreads

I just saw the repeat performance of this inbread family(husband at least) and the throwback from the 60's family.
    I just wish that dear head would have been set up to say BOO! when she cried and started to stroke it's neck. (I think she was missing hubby by then).
    I loved when she had to be around all the "extended family"
    But what was up with that (sexy?)dress? Geeez, get some prozac or something and don't be so scared of people, if anything ,people probably go out of their way to avoid this family.
    Maybe the one mom is heavy buy she seems like the only one that is decent on this show. she's groooovy

LUCYGRL
    [ The unlocked gun cabinet worries me greatly as well. A friend of mine who is a hunter was cleaning his gun & shot a hole thru his wall & into his neighbor's house, only missing the neighbor's kid by a few inches. Let's just say since then, I haven't been real comfortable with hunting rifles.[/QUOTE]

I understand your concern but to defend the gun thing, it was an accident and it isn't any different that someone starting the car out of gear or hitting the gas instead of the break and almost hitting someone. These things happen and they are called accidents. My entire family all hunt and never has there been an incident and all the kids have grown up with guns as well. Just defending the gun thing as it always takes a beating and is seen differently than other things that happen.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    DetGuy, you're not the only one. Sure, they were a tad out there, and Amy seriously is over the edge, but confederate flags are offensive and killing for mere sport is just wrong in my book, especially when the deer aren't armed with rifles as well. (You don't see them make use of the animals that were killed, and mounting ducks is just freaky to me.) In my house growing up, we kids did not have chores that conflicted with school work, and clearly it was during the school year. Our job was to get good grades. It's easy to figure out how to clean; it's much harder to learn calculus on the fly. The weekend was time for chores. Having an articulate child who doesn't by rote say that ma'am crap is much better than a mindless response. It does not show respect, it's more a habit than anything. Yeah, we are quite the anomaly for a family in the *deep* south, but we all turned out as self sufficient members of society.

Wordy, word Mcword times infinity to all of the above. Jeez, it's not even sweeps month and already the networks are going for shock and awe. They couldn't have slammed together two more disparate families if they'd tried really hard. Oh right: they DID try really hard.

The "Tree Hugger" stereotype (and what's your point? like tree hugging in and of itself is a bad thing?) was offensive enough. But the South'rn Confederate Good Ol' Boy who hunts and fishes like every good, decent American should...that one went a long way to reinforce my negative opinions about the lifestyle lived in the Deep South.

The tree people were straight up freaks!

They were the craziest people I've seen on 'reality' TV. Surely they were playing up for the camera. The wife seemed crazier than hubby, but he looked to be on the verge of tears the majority of the time. "Clean my nasty dirty vase? Waaaaaaaaa" Oh, and P.S., get a haircut - you're 40, not 18. Oh, and double P.S., the U.S. flag is tacky? Perhaps you'd prefer the 'ol USSR flag hanging instead? Oh wait..you probably would. Oh and triple P.S. you look like the designer Edward from Trading Spaces.

The earth wife. Total nut job. You wonder why none of her family wants to be around her? Uh, yeah, big surprise. I would say she took too much acid in the 60s but she's not that old. I guess she took too much acid the day before filming. I'm not big on guns or the Rebel flag either, but I wouldn't suffer a nervous breakdown immediately upon sight of such objects. She talked to redneck hubby like he was a 5-year old, which upon consideration, was probably about right. However, she's a great example of the "progressive" type of person who would rather spend their entire life in a sheltered liberal college environment than actually get a job, clean a house, raise a child, you know, real life stuff.

Redneck hubby. Yeah you want to switch wives after meeting earth wife for 20 minutes? She's not even good looking!! She's all buggy eyed with big ole horse gums and her voice is grating! I mean, if they dropped in some hot model, I could almost (but not) understand. But earth wife?? Oh, and why don't you try to drop like uhhh....200 lbs, which would probably help your snoring and maybe even faciliate sleeping with your wife. I would suggest getting a GED, sweating to the oldies, and letting your kids (who seem alright from the brief time they got on TV) teach you monopoly and chutes and ladders instead of you spending all your waking hours single handedly fighting aginst overpopulation of birds, deer, fish, uh anything that moves.

Redneck wife. Why did you marry redneck hubby? Was he a bigger catch back then? Did he woo you with poetry? Did you entice you with his big city ways, deep philosophical thoughts and sophisticated lifestyle? Or did you just marry the first person you found not related by blood? I can't argue with wanting a clean house - reasonable. A flag outside the house - can't argue with that. Children not interrupting parents - again, reasonable. But maybe, just maaaaaaybe you could cut back on the 150 members of the extended family. I wasn't sure if they were wife's family or husband's family (I'll save the "or both" joke for later), but get rid of them. Put up a fence. Put up a wall. Invite the earth people over for a weekend. Anything to repel the whole clan from coming over.

Wow, come to think of it, I didn't really like any of them. I liked redneck wife the best though.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidwatchdog
    To let you know a few things they didn't enlighten you on the show. 24 hours a day for 10 days gives you a lot of footage. They extracted out of that an hour worth of video. So there is a lot that went on that never made it on air.

They never told you that Jeff served the US during the Gulf War. He fought for our country. The problem he has hanging up the flag is not because he is unpatriotic. After serving overseas, he feels that it may seem arrogant to display the flag. To some like Aletha who may feel its patriotic to display the flag did not, nor her family sacrifice themselves to protect it. Jeff did fight and he has every right not to display the flag if he chose not too. He may not feel it is his place to force his views on anyone else.

Obviously the theme of the show were Guns and parenting. There were alot more things simmering beneath the surface. The topic of race never made it into the show, but it was prevalent behind the scenes. You may have seen Aletha try to enforce some rules and that you may think that it was not out of place. What they didn't show you was that Aletha was a hippocrite and many of the things that she pointed out wrong with the Beaver's household was going on at her own home.

The final confrontation was more heated than what you saw on screen. It almost boiled to the point of "Jerry Springer" level.

You are probably asking how do I know this? I know people.

RWD
    Thanks for the insight, it's obvious that you know Jeff...please tell us more about the things we didn't see.......
    kitty-cats rule!

+ Reply to Thread