+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC targets Hagerstown for "The Swap"

ABC targets Hagerstown for "The Swap"

ABC may look to area for family reality show

by TARA REILLY
    tarar@herald-mail.com

ABC is eyeing Hagerstown-area families to swap mothers for 10 days and then let a national television audience watch how they make do in a new prime-time reality series set to premiere next summer.

"The Swap" aims to show viewers how other families live their lives, such as whether a practice that is common in one family is acceptable in another, how families share chores, spending habits and other family practices.

Stephanie Dervan, spokeswoman for RDF Media and ABC, said ABC chose Hagerstown as one of the areas to look for families because it appears to be a "tightly knit, family-oriented community."

But some local officials said Thursday they weren't ready to open their arms and welcome reality television to the area.

"This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard," Washington County Commissioner Doris J. Nipps said. "I do not watch any of the reality programs. I think they are dumb."

ABC mainly is recruiting families from the East Coast that have two parents and children older than 2, Dervan said.

During the first five days of the swap, mothers will try to fit in with their new families by carrying out their regular routines.

But for the final five days, the mothers will be allowed to make changes and run the families how they see fit, Dervan said.

"Families (and viewers) will quickly discover that what is deemed 'conventional' in one family can be considered unorthodox and completely bizarre in another," according to a written statement.

Hagerstown City Councilman Kristin Aleshire wasn't impressed with ABC's interest in the area.

He said even if a family from Hagerstown were chosen, he wouldn't watch.

"I don't understand how somebody's life could be so boring that they'd want to watch somebody else live theirs," Aleshire said. "That's how I feel about reality shows."

"At what point do we really get back to reality?" Aleshire said. "Reality shows are kinda like an oxymoron."

Nipps said somebody she knows could make the show and she'd still tune out.

"I just think these programs are there to make fools of people," Nipps said. "I just don't approve of them. I'm just not into trying to make people look dumb and foolish."

Michael Davis, executive producer of "The Swap," also was executive producer of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire."

Independent production company RDF Media also is an executive producer of "The Swap," according to RDF Media's Web site. The Britain-based company also produces "Junkyard Wars."

RDF Media's Web site states "The Swap" is based on the United Kingdom's "Wife Swap."

Hagerstown-area families interested in being on "The Swap" may call 1-212-905-6059, e-mail theswap@rdfmedia.com or visit "The Swap" Web site at www.theswaptvshow.com.
    http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=d...09&format=html

Where is Hagerstown?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

New York.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    There's one in MD too, but I doubt they'd ever consider that for a tv show.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I think they are talking about the one in Maryland because it is located in Washington County, Maryland. I have family roots out there.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

What is more important? A show, or your values?

I dunno about this one. If I was a parent, I sure wouldn't do this show. Honestly. Why would I want some woman coming into my home to press her views and beliefs onto my family? She could possibly screw up the dynamics of everything that I/we have worked soo hard to instill.
    I think family is the one truly, sacred thing that we can all "possess"..and it should remain unadulterated by others, in any way, shape or form. For these women to agree to "open" up their family to whatever is sad imho.

I've kicked people out of my house because the integrity and security of my gf, our pets and our home is thee upmost important thing. To actually leave and let a stranger "run things" her way... ha ha ha haaaaaaa it would neva happen!!!! Wonder what's most important to these women if they're willing to do this.
    Actually, they must really think highly of themselves. Think about it, you're so secure and sure of yourself that you're willing to go into another family and "run things"...wow. I personally think I'm a good person and know I wouldn't f**k anything up, but really...I'm not pompous enough to "run" someone else's family, let alone do it on national television. :rolleyes

/simply.. mho
    Last edited by Maveno; 12-26-2003 at 02:29 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    gee, didn't two major league baseball players do this in the late 60s or early 70s? so this is a rehash of that incident!

I've seen Switched on ABCfamily where they had teens swap homes with another teen for a period of time and I think that premise is good..gives a young person another view of life..BUT swapping mothers/wives is too basic a change. The mother/wife is one of the linchpins of the family and switching mothers could really mess with dynamics of a family...especially if children are young.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Your children 'swap' every day that they head off to daycare
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey
    but the mother gets them back at the end of the day, and more often than not, a daycare doesn't have too much power over changing the way a child behaves unless they work really hard at it (trust me, I work at a daycare, and I've worked hard at changing kids behaviours... it ain't easy... it would be easier for a woman staying with the kids for 10 days... not irreversible, but it would not be easy.

And are these single mothers? Cause that would bre really awkward for the husband if there was one...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast