+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Finale Discussion 3/5/05

My thoughts in closing:

I'm glad Kimberly won. She has a soothing personality and if for some reason I should ever catch her again on TV, I'd watch her over Mitch anyday.

This was a reality show for entertainment. If they were truely looking for the next great stylemaker, all they would've had to do was comb the major cities. There's many who are already established as power stylemakers ala Martha Stewart.

Aside from her gauranteed Early Morning Show appearances, I'd say it'll be a cold day in Hades before Kim bags her own show. Noticed the phrase of "having the chance" to star in their own TV show? Same goes for Mitch. He wouldn't have faired any better. There's already one Christopher Lowell- no need for another one.

I do think they will succeed, just on a local level. I can see them becoming well known in their region. I'm sure Kimberly's asking price for dinner parties just shot through the roof.

It was an amusing show, but it was pretty clear from the start that none of the contestants had a certain "It" factor, save for Darlene (just my opinion on her).
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

MRD
    [QUOTE=boxhill]Originally Posted by gracie727
    I'm just watching this show now (end of first hour) -- but did anyone sign up to win the contest? The one where Kimberly will come and cater the dinner party in your house?

Wasn't she one of the people who couldn't cook??!!QUOTE]

I would LOVE to win this so I can say: Um, No thanks. My friends expect GOOD food when they come to my house for dinner!

I told my husband last night, I hope I win this so I can turn it down.

By the time I watched Kimberly make ribbon flowers umpteen times I completely lost interest in the last competition. I totally expected her magazine cover to be covered with ribbon flowers, hors d'oeuvres shaped like ribbon flowers and the cocktails to have a ribbon flower stuck in them. Kimberly was the least talented person on the show. She is a nice looker so, figure everything was based on looks. If CBS wanted a beauty contest, for those only interested in beauty contests, why bother making us watch Kimberly make ribbon flowers? Mitch was 100 times more talented than Miss Ribbon Flower. Never again!!!
    Last edited by Oceansands; 03-06-2005 at 09:56 AM.

What a fitting end for a show with so much potential.
    They really dropped the ball on this one.
    I wasn't too into Mitch, but I would have definately liked to see him win over Kimberly!! He seemed alot more talent/ideas.
    I never watch the Early Show and thankfully will never likely see Kimberly again....as for the show...I hope that if they do decide to try to do it again, they read this forum and see all the feedback and fix the show! It really did have potential...
    ---------------------
    opps....

Quote Originally Posted by dallas_viewer
    I also think, in the end, the judges felt that Kimberly would be easier to work with, to mold into the image they deemed best, etc. Mitch, on the other hand, they probably envisioned as being a prima donna, not taking direction well, insisting on more control over his show and its direction ("for living", heh)--in short, not very biddable.

About the fix being in: It was ridiculous to allow an eliminated contestant back in all of a sudden; I agree there's something fishy about that.
    I don't think there was any fix. If they wanted someone malleable they could have gone with Darlene, who rolled with the punches umpteem times.

I put the fault completely on their putting all the reality show formulas they could think of into one show. I'm positive they were trying to guarantee a hit by incorporating the rules of other popular reality shows. Trouble is, in a talent-driven show going by Big Brother-like rules gives the non-talented contestants a chance to win. It was sickening to watch it unfold here.

It happened on The Complex even more visibly - a show where teams were supposed to renovate an expensive condo. One team who were lazy and awful hit upon the idea of doing a bad job purposely so that their team would be vulnerable for eviction. Then they systematically voted off the better renovators so that they wouldn't be up against them in the end. This show reminded me of that trainwreck.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Good points about the format, Hepcat. The format of the show pretty much guaranteed that better candidates would be dispensed with by the more mediocre contestants. Who wouldn't vote off his/her toughest competition, given the opportunity?

If they wanted someone malleable they could have gone with Darlene, who rolled with the punches umpteem times.
    Except Darlene had been voted off already.

Which is too bad, because from what I saw (I came in not quite halfway through the series), she'd have been an excellent choice for a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    It happened on The Complex even more visibly - a show where teams were supposed to renovate an expensive condo. One team who were lazy and awful hit upon the idea of doing a bad job purposely so that their team would be vulnerable for eviction. Then they systematically voted off the better renovators so that they wouldn't be up against them in the end. This show reminded me of that trainwreck.
    I'm glad I didn't watch that show because WP was enough of a trainwreck as it was!!!
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Mitch's forced fake smile reminded me of "Bob" the Enzyte man. Mitch could be the next poster boy for "The once-a-day tablet for natural male enhancement."

Quote Originally Posted by boxhill
    I wouldn't. People expect *good* food when they come to my house for dinner.

I was turned off by Mitch's "gift from God" speech. But the man was the one with talent. I think they shafted him because Sears didn't want to be associated with someone who might be gay.
    I don't know why it bugs people about Mitch's speech. Some people believe talents are a gift from God- singing, athletic ablility- it's a talent you were born with. It's up to the person to realize that and work on perfecting it. I think what really did Mitch it was his ego. He was way too full of himself and that is a turn off. Plus, Bobby even made a comment about the way he b***sh***ed his way through, and had an answer for everything. Bobby saw the ramifications of that and people feel like they can't trust him. I think Bobby really saw the talent in Mitch, but maybe was *forced* to pick Kimberly. As far as Mitch maybe being gay- David E. is gay and if Sears had a problem with it, wouldn't they have made sure there was a different judge? Of course, I hated all of the judges and felt they got the only people who didn't have anything better to do- because the judges SUCKED!

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvest

In this case the judges seemed to be missing some key information. Such as -- Kimberly's centerpiece may have looked good, but she picked it out of a catalog. Mitch's design came from his own head. Kimberly's cocktail may have been good, but she picked it out of a catalog. Mitch created his signature cocktail.

TOTALLY!! When they showed her with her party planners, she kept rifling thorugh all of the PICTURES she had in her hands. I was thinking NO FAIR!!! Anyone can go through a bunch of magazines and say "I want that and that and that." Just like mitch said, she's an imitator. He really figured her out.

I found myself wondering if the judges had been able to see what we saw, would their opinions (especially Candace and Bobby Flay) changed? Bobby Flay made it clear that he chose Kimberly for her likability factor or her "comfortable"ness. I'm sure if he would have seen how underhanded and demeaning she was to the other contestants, he wouldn't have picked her.

I mean, Mitch is who he is. He never tried to hide it. People in the Style industry almost have to take on a prima donna attitude. They are totally into their style and how their talent can make an impact on others. You HAVE to believe that is your gift. You have to be so convinced of your own talent and expertise that other people can't help but to listen. Attitude's like Mitch's aren't rare -they're expected.

I agree with what another FORTer suggested. Let Mitch and Darlene have their own show that they co-host. That would be a riot (and fun, too)!

+ Reply to Thread