+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1/13 Show Discussion* SPOILERS*

I don't know if Mitch knows this, but Rhododendron leaves are extremely toxic. A friend of mine has a hobby farm in the middle of Vancouver, and 14 of his pet goats escaped from their pen and started eating his rhododendrons and within an hour they were all vomiting and died. They were pets, so needless to say he was very upset. Are not roux's more Cajun than classic French? I know Cajun is French via Acadia etc, but I'm no expert, but Emerill is constantly making a roux for his gumbo's etc. Did Michelle puposely hide the flour, or maybe she just forget where she had placed it? Darlene was slightly more sympathetic last night, almost human, but her ideas seem so tea and crumpets and potpouri, I don't think she's in touch with the modern homemaker, not that you have to be a pompous postmodern this, postmodern that like Tom, but at least join the millinieum. Also, ice in a martini? I've never had a martini served like that.

Lotus, a roux stems from French cuisine and is the basis of bechamel and veloute sauces.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I don't know if Mitch knows this, but Rhododendron leaves are extremely toxic. A friend of mine has a hobby farm in the middle of Vancouver, and 14 of his pet goats escaped from their pen and started eating his rhododendrons and within an hour they were all vomiting and died. They were pets, so needless to say he was very upset. Are not roux's more Cajun than classic French? I know Cajun is French via Acadia etc, but I'm no expert, but Emerill is constantly making a roux for his gumbo's etc. Did Michelle puposely hide the flour, or maybe she just forget where she had placed it? Darlene was slightly more sympathetic last night, almost human, but her ideas seem so tea and crumpets and potpouri, I don't think she's in touch with the modern homemaker, not that you have to be a pompous postmodern this, postmodern that like Tom, but at least join the millinieum. Also, ice in a martini? I've never had a martini served like that.
    I'm sorry about your friends poor goats, Lotuslander. That had to be a hard blow to him, both from the heart and the pocketbook.

No, roux is Classic French but has been incorporated into so many cooking styles that the origins get masked.

Ice in a martini? Olives. Jolly Ranchers. But NOT ice...ever!!!!

I just like Darlene's spunky personality. I think she'd be a hoot to watch on a TV show. I don't watch cooking shows but aren't the most FAMOUS TV chefs people with over-the-top personalities? I know that one chef keeps going "Bam! Bam! Bam!" all over the place (including tooth paste ads!) so I'm guessing people like extremes.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    Some drama on last night's show!

Was the flour purposely hidden from Darlene? Was Darlene happy Michelle was eliminated? Darlene....wait, everything seemed to be centered around Darlene....lol.... and yes she was very happy Michelle was eliminated. Well maybe Darlene is being treated a bit unfairly, but she can still come out on top....I mean she is still there.

I'm still impressed with Mychael and her dishes, she is a very strong contender.

I don't think the judges are being overcritical and rude....they are THE judges and all they are doing is judging. No one was out of line IMO. They are playing for some good things, and the judges just want to pick the best possible candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    A lobster usually turns out mushy and tasteless if it's been harvested during its molting period, since it doesn't eat until it does molt. Hard to tell by the color of the lobster if that's been the case. Undercooking it also produces a mushy product.
    Tex: In my best imitation of a Johnny Carson voice, I'll say, "I. did. not. know. that!"

Thanks for the education. Now, where's that cocktail party for me to go to and impress them with my arcane knowledge?

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

See, Mychael's my new mentor and I plan on following her into culinary school...hence my arcane food knowledge

I'm thinking Mykie gets traded to the Artisan camp since the VOTED OUT their last great foodie hope.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

See, Mychael's my new mentor and I plan on following her into culinary school...hence my arcane food knowledge

I'm thinking Mykie gets traded to the Artisan camp since the VOTED OUT their last great foodie hope.
    Great...just great. Mychael can't catch a break with her own team and then she gets traded off. I hope she acts like cream and floats to the top...wherever she goes.

And I love your name for her, Mykie, AND the fact that you're planning on going to Culinary School. I am very envious!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    The judges have really crossed the line where critical ends and bitchiness begins. After David poo-poo'd the apple martini and Mitch took it back to empty the ice out, my husband said he should spit in it before he handed it back.
    Remind me to stay away from him in Niagara. :nono

I was so convinced that David and Candace were being bitchy and difficult on purpose to see how the teams reacted. When they didn't mention it in their summaries, I was actually kind of shocked. I agree that they crossed the line. A proper party guest doesn't sit and bitch and moan about their food, they suck it up and do the polite thing. With them being judges, the time to critique was later.

I would love it. Then her and floral swimming cap chick could go head to head in a cook off. Classic TV moment pan to swim cap chick saying "I would love to go against Mychael in the kitchen" scene change to Bobby Flay exclaiming shower cap chick's brownies are too doughy.

A close second was Candice asking Mitch about devilled eggs and saying he should have gone with quail eggs (just like Mykie suggested at beginning of the show). The look on his face was drop on the floor and pee your pants funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I was impressed by Mychael's humbleness in not mentioning that she suggested quail eggs, rather than regular hens eggs, when Candace pointed that out, especially in contrast to Darlene's manic glee last week when she shouted out how she, unlike the other backward children, had much better ideas. Mitch's table was stunning and dramatic without being over the top, but I hate that down home reverse snobbery, moonshine ramble, wipe the grease off your lips on your shirt........we know your a Diva dear, stop the act, Meryl. The Joan Lunden look-alike calling Mitch a pansy, even though it's true, was uncalled for. You have to be friends with your pansy friends first before you can get away with calling them that, but obviously, winning the car last week upped HER ego. I wouldn't want to be an enemy of Mitch's, or at least I wouldn't want him to know. Mitch is really threatened by Mychael, he knows she's good, and if Mychael doesn't win this, there is no god. I liked Mychael's gift bag, the painting of the bucket, kept in the Americana them, with the red, white and blue, so she may also be really strong in the craft department as well as the kitchen. Michelle was unfailry eliminated, they loved all 3 of her deserts, and the other woman wrapped up a mirror and candle? Not fair. What was French about the Lobster and Lamb dishes? Mychaels dinner choice of beef and a corn pseudo succotash kept in theme as well, but this week and last week, it's Mychael and Mitch who are leading their teams to victory, so I would not be surprised if it comes down getting the crown and I hope it's Mychael. Mitch is enough of a queen as is.Mychael was also right in not letting the judges or guests know that your tired, even if you are. The worse party I ever went to, the host kept telling everyone before we even sat down for dinner how exhausted they were. HUge Downer. Who was Darlene making gift bags for, Barbara Bush? Darlene get my vote for Wickedly Perfect Queen for 1890, but she is completely in another generation, and I'm not talking someone 45, I mean 125.
    Great analysis, lotus! I thought Denise's "pansy" comment was mild, though. Mitch replaced Thomas as the bitch of the week.

Looking at the lobster mush all I could think was, I hope the store gave them their money back.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread