+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1/13 Show Discussion* SPOILERS*

Those toasts were a nice idea, but the plain old card-board-y looking boxes they were in (even though tied w/ ribbon) were fugly and didn't match the decor very well.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by RobC4Me
    I agree. Even if you question the ideas, at least she has ideas.

So far, I am rooting for Mycheal. She seems to have the most skill and insight (getting rest, not telling guests that you are tired).
    Count me in on the Mychael and Darlene bandwagon!

I also feel very sorry for Darlene and I just can't believe that the other contestants on Crafty Beaver are that prejudice against "age". But, perhaps they are, or, they don't respond well to her 'chipper' personality because they are Oh.So.Cool. themselves.

I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see TWO winners from the show: if they really want to do something different to compete against Martha, now that she's leaving jail early. I like two co-hosts and I feel that Darlene's exuberance and Mychael's cool logic would make for some fun shows and great writing.

Crafty Beaver may be winning for technical excellence, but the judges were right: the tension was SO thick at their dinner party that it reminded me of some of MY old dinner parties when my ex and I would fight before hand and then try to play 'nice' when the guests came over. The guests are SMART...they can always tell.

Regarding the criticism that some here are lobbying at the judges...isn't that what judges do: they JUDGE??!! If they go to each event and fawn and over everything, what's the point?
    Perhaps guests at your own home wouldn't say anything if the meat was undercooked or the champagne wasn't served at the right temperature, but you KNOW that they would say something on the car ride home. If you don't believe me, dig up the old Worse Food Ever! thread on this site and see what other's had to say about wretched food served to them, with a smile.

The contestants are vying for the title to be the NEXT Martha-like host. If they can't get it right for the judges, I sure as hell don't want to watch them on a King World sponsored show, telling me to serve stuffed tomatoes with shrimp (which my local diner sells!) and serve warm champagne to my friends.

The blond chick that got voted off, Michele, I think, didn't serve as a very coordinated Team Leader. She did NOT get the idea of "French" at all: my God, how hard would it have been to cook up some French Onion soup and a pate? And as someone else pointed out, what irony that she quoted Julia Child, the GODDESS of bringing French cooking to American tables!!!

And hiding the flour from poor Darlene...just nasty work, Bitca!!!

Regarding Mitch from Crafty Beaver: he has amazing ideas that work well for stunning presentations, but realistically, just HOW many of us are going to be going out to our "grounds", to whack apart about 10 rhododendron shrubs, and then glue BY HAND, 10,000 leaves to trash bags??? If people thought Martha was out of the ballpark, Mitch's ideas surely won't sell in Peoria!

And lastly, Mitch, this is for YOU...it's pronounced "Rhodo-den-DRON, with a friggin' "N", you idiot...not "rhodo-den-DRUM!!! < I am saying this in my BEST Hermione Granger voice!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    What was French about the Lobster and Lamb dishes?

Well, to be fair, they did serve frenched lamb, you know, with the little bones scraped clean for presentation? That should have counted towards theme
    Last edited by Texicana; 01-14-2005 at 10:56 AM.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

The judges have really crossed the line where critical ends and bitchiness begins. After David poo-poo'd the apple martini and Mitch took it back to empty the ice out, my husband said he should spit in it before he handed it back.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    The judges have really crossed the line where critical ends and bitchiness begins. After David poo-poo'd the apple martini and Mitch took it back to empty the ice out, my husband said he should spit in it before he handed it back.
    But that's how show business is with these Martha Stewart type shows. It's hard to believe that somebody could be that good in all areas of style. So they are constantly being challenged or bad mouthed or critiqued to the point of bitchiness. I love that they do this because it makes those egos deflate on the spot.

As far as Darlene goes, she needs to get herself out of there. There's a reason why nobody on her team listens to her. I don't think it has anything to do with her age, but the stupid stuff she throws in just so she can be part of the conversation. She may have one good idea, but instead of waiting and presenting it at the appropriate time she tries to kibitz on somebody elses good idea and comes off looking like a jackass.

I get the impression that Mychael is a fabulous chef since she's managed to impress the judges two weeks in a row with her cooking. I just can't help but wonder how she would do out of the kitchen. Unlike some of you, I don't think her individual projects should merit the best hostess award. Has she come up with any design ideas for these challenges? She seems to come up with an excellent menu, but what about decor? I'm not seeing it.

FYI: Michelle didn't hide the flour, she just didn't point it out to Darlene because they were out of time and needed to focus on other things. The lamb was plenty for the dinner adding the lobster would have been as disasterous as the stuffed tomatoes.

Naaahhhh, funnygirl, there's always room for lobster.

Martha is a helluva hard act to follow, of course. But you know, I watched Martha Stewart Living avidly for years, and although she's extraordinarily creative and talented as far as home decor and design, it's her meticulousness and exacting standards that makes her an excellent chef and gardener. I know there's a time limit, but it's sloppiness that's killing some of the projects - Dawn's gift bag, Kimberley's crappy pie, the dessicated lobster...a little less dithering and some more thought would have saved all that. You can think and plan a good project while you're doing a automatic, tedious task like gluing leaves to a dropcloth or sewing napkins - Martha would never be whining and snarking when there's a job to be done.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Naaahhhh, funnygirl, there's always room for lobster.
    Not at my house there isn't.

Martha is a helluva hard act to follow, of course. But you know, I watched Martha Stewart Living avidly for years, and although she's extraordinarily creative and talented as far as home decor and design, it's her meticulousness and exacting standards that makes her an excellent chef and gardener.
    Martha had a lot of background help with her projects. I don't believe for one second she did all that work herself. I'm more of a Lynette Jennings fan.

I agree with you about sloppiness. I think that instead of having a "leader" per se they need to figure out who is doing what project and leave it at that. If you finish first, see if anybody needs a hand. I think Dawn was right when she said there are a lot of egos competing with one another. You remember what they said about too many cooks?

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422

I get the impression that Mychael is a fabulous chef since she's managed to impress the judges two weeks in a row with her cooking. I just can't help but wonder how she would do out of the kitchen. Unlike some of you, I don't think her individual projects should merit the best hostess award. Has she come up with any design ideas for these challenges? She seems to come up with an excellent menu, but what about decor? I'm not seeing it.
    I was thinking the same, and then I thought that she does arrange the food on the plate in a beautiful way as well, so I am quite certain that she would be able to arrange some beautiful decor (other than food) if needed.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Martha is a helluva hard act to follow, of course. But you know, I watched Martha Stewart Living avidly for years, and although she's extraordinarily creative and talented as far as home decor and design, it's her meticulousness and exacting standards that makes her an excellent chef and gardener. Martha would never be whining and snarking when there's a job to be done.
    I also have been a Martha watcher since the beginning. I bought her cookbooks when she was still married to Andy and I have every issue of her magazine. Martha may suffer in the Cuddly-Friend department, but so what? I don't watch her shows or read her magazines to gain a friend, I watch/read them so that I can gain some nice ideas and killer recipes.

And I can NEVER imagine that Martha would admit to a single guest or friend that she's tired, nor would she go to the local GoogleMart to buy a crappy candle and cheap-ass mirror. Pleeee-ase! :rolleyes

Regarding the lobster, why didn't Michele KNOW that lobster was 'out of season'? If she's so hot to be the leader than you better back it up with the knowledge of when certain foods are at their prime.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

A lobster usually turns out mushy and tasteless if it's been harvested during its molting period, since it doesn't eat until it does molt. Hard to tell by the color of the lobster if that's been the case. Undercooking it also produces a mushy product.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread