+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Perfect' contest isn't always winning

'Perfect' contest isn't always winning

Show review from The Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles...+%2F+Arts+News

By Suzanne C. Ryan, Globe Staff | January 6, 2005

There's nothing groundbreaking about CBS's new stylemaker reality show ''Wickedly Perfect," which debuts tonight at 8 on CBS4.
    ADVERTISEMENT

That's too bad because a competition designed to anoint America's newest domestic diva (or dean -- men are included, too) has a lot of appeal. After all, Martha Stewart is temporarily out of commission.

In tonight's mediocre premiere, 12 creative types vie to impress three judges with their clever use of thousands of apples to cook and decorate. Other domestic competitions will follow.

The stakes? A book deal, a television program spun around the winner, and six appearances on CBS's ''The Early Show."

Alas, there isn't a would-be Martha in the bunch.

It's admittedly fun to watch contestants at their best (one team creates a table made of apples) and at their worst (one player presents an apple pie that looks undercooked).

But the contestants may stall this program before it can get its footing. There's the annoying elementary school teachers who can't find flour at the grocery store. There's the incompetent carpenter who struggles to build a box. There's the oddball television show host whom no one listens to, perhaps for good reason. There are also homemakers, a baker, a caterer, and an art-studio owner.

Based on the pilot, none of these people stand out. It's a shame the producers didn't strive for stronger talent because the right personalities could have secured the show's future.

And what about the tasks? After a dramatic introduction, two teams battle to pick the most apples in an orchard. Yawn. Tension builds when the players are assigned tasks using those apples. But viewers may switch to ''Joey" before that unfolds.

In future episodes, things may improve. The ''perfectionists," as CBS is calling them, will be asked to compete in arenas such as party planning, gardening, cooking, baking, sewing, crafts, flower arranging, and decorating.

It's unclear why Joan Lunden, who anchored ABC's ''Good Morning America" for 17 years, would agree to host this show. But there is disappointment in watching her praise the automaker GMC after handing one lucky contestant the keys to a new car.

The appointed judges, however, make sense. David Evangelista is a celebrity hair, fashion, and makeup expert. Bobby Flay is a chef, restaurateur, and television personality. And Candace Bushnell is the author and creator of ''Sex and the City."

That trio will judge the group projects each week, as well as the tasks each contestant must complete on his or her own time.

''Wickedly Perfect" makes a mockery of its name. That's good news for at least one person -- Martha Stewart.

Suzanne Ryan can be reached at sryan@globe.com.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I guess the writer doesn't understand the fun in watching a show like this and snarking on the contestants.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Oh yeah, I thought I would throw in a differing perspective out there, cos most of the press has been positive.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I agree that none of them are Martha, and none of the contestants would make me want to be like them, but it is entertaining to watch them fight among each other.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfully
    I agree that none of them are Martha, and none of the contestants would make me want to be like them, but it is entertaining to watch them fight among each other.
    Even Martha isn't Martha. She has "people."

Quote Originally Posted by boxhill
    Even Martha isn't Martha. She has "people."

True!

Quote Originally Posted by Faithfully
    If most of them were like Martha, I'd be guaranteed not to watch; on the rare occasion that I want to see party decorations, food ideas or whatever, I'd check HGTV or Food Network. No, what I watch this show for is entertainment, as these wannabes squabble!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread