+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stan Lee/Meet My Folks producer team up for new reality show

Leo
    Premium Member

Stan Lee/Meet My Folks producer team up for new reality show

Not sure if this has been posted yet. I've also snipped the second half of the news story, since it deals with Donald Trump's reality show.

Reality TV Takes on Superheroes

Reality TV is nothing if not the people's medium. You can aspire to be anything: a singing star, the wife of a rich guy, a codpiece- wearer.

Yes, the genre that gave us American Idol and The Bachelor will no longer exclude those whose dearest desire is to save the world from baddies (while wearing tights and a codpiece, natch). Enter: Who Wants to Be a Superhero?

Not a misprint, the WB has given the go-ahead for a six-episode run of a reality series aimed at introducing a new super man (or woman) to the people of Gotham and beyond.

To clarify, the show's talent scouts won't be looking for people who can bounce bullets off their chests, rather, for people who can dream up characters who bounce bullets off their chests.

The brainchild of Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee and Meet My Folks producer Bruce Nash, Superhero seeks to find material for a potential new comic-book series.

The series is penciled in for next season.

"The tone of the show is going to be fun," Nash promised in the Hollywood Reporter. "It's wish fulfillment, a blend of fantasy and reality."

Befitting a show whose prime demographic would seem to reside in geekdom, Nash said Superhero will not focus on "sexual tension" like other reality series.

Instead, the show will focus on people willing to pitch their ideas before a panel of celebrity judges and, later, become one with their characters by donning costumes and competing in acts of would-be daring do--all part of the so-called "superhero makeover."

Plans are for the celeb judges to be culled from the ranks of actors who have played superheroes in TV and film. (That ringing sound you hear is Adam West calling his agent.)

I still think Boneless Boy (from one of the old Who's lines) would make a good superhero.

Other than that, I'm spent
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

That show I think won't be good. I remember a story a long time ago about a bodybuilder who thought he was superhuman so he put on a cape and try to stop a truck but died.

LG.
    I think this sounds cute. I still like Mystery Men's Sarcastic Girl or whatever was the name of the Janeen Garafolo character who slayed villians with her cutting wit.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

and dead father in the bowling ball

and wolf74 people are just going to try to create one... on paper.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    I can see Marvel doing this. One thing they are known for is signing young talent and then makeing them sign a contract that for whatever character they create is Marvel property.

Apparently, the pencil they used for putting this on the schedule was broken, since it's been 3+ years since they announced it.

I think this show is grreat. It's a lot better than most of the reality shows on. It's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Apparently, the pencil they used for putting this on the schedule was broken, since it's been 3+ years since they announced it.
    From Leo's description up above, it seems like they really played with the concept for these past 3 years. This show doesn't really seem so much about developing a superhero, as much as it is about developing the everyday qualities of a hero in regular folks with creative minds.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread