+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Monkey Woman

I actually think the "Powers & Weapons" page of the Monkey Woman Official site is hilarious.

Powers & Weapons

The Bamboo Staff
    Monkeywoman's constant companion, her bamboo staff is often more of a hindrance than a help. Monkeywoman won't hesitate to park it somewhere when she needs her hands free, and often loses it in the process. Fortunately she has unlimited replacements. Monkeywoman is only just learning to stick fight, and invariably causes damage to foes and any inanimate objects alike that get in the way of this "weapon of mass destruction." She whacks herself on accident a lot too.

The Bananas
    Monkeywoman has a utility belt and leg holsters full of weapons (a gun, a grenade, smoke bombs and flash charges) and tools (parachute, grappling hook, Swiss army banana, etc.) disguised to look like ordinary bananas. Her weapons inventor has an uncanny way of always supplying her with exactly the right tools for whatever mission she embarks upon. Except for having a little difficulty telling her bananas apart (which can make for an awkward situation), Monkeywoman has never lacked for the solution to any problem with her handy bananas around. She also keeps one real banana on her belt for a snack.

The Amazon Vine
    Monkeywoman went online and ordered a special vine from the rainforest from a rare type of tree that produces unusually strong plant fiber, making the vine lightweight and portable. But its most remarkable quality is the leaves, which (even when cut) have a sort of "memory" and can be trained to stick to any type of surface. Monkeywoman's vine will attach to any metal or plastic surface like an anchor, giving her the ability to use the vine to swing around the city. The vine also makes an excellent whip, or rope to tie up criminals with.

The Monkey Screech
    Arguably Monkeywoman's only "natural superpower" - she has an abnormally loud, piercing voice when used with proper breathing and support. Monkeywoman discovered that her screech has incapacitating effects on her foes and adversaries (and friends too, oops), especially when used at close range or indoors. Also, although Monkeywoman is not infected herself, like many wild primates she carries rabies. If bitten by Monkeywoman, you'd best turn yourself into law enforcement and get to a hospital for your shots ASAP.
    Some of the other pages are a lot less clever though. The backstory and "friends and foes" pages are actually pretty lame. Except that bit about "Shiny Objects".

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Veggieviewer View Post
    ring ring ring ring ring ring, banana phone!
    Exact same thought came into my head the moment I read "bananas".
    Revenge is ice cream.

I found it odd that Stan objected to Mary's being an actress - since one of the prizes is a small part in a film.

I don't think his objection was that she was an actress necessarily. Like I said earlier, I doubt it would have been a problem if she was more upfront about it, because what Stan seemed most opposed to (IMO) was the notion that she was surreptitiously using this show merely as a self-serving opportunity to advance her acting career, and not be a true superhero.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Thanks. Why did you feel that he objected to Mary's sharing acting/casting websites with the waiter/actor? I didn't get that one either.

Well, I don't think Stan objected to the act of her sharing acting info with the waiter (which I think was pretty nice, out of context of the show); I think that for Stan, this act was just more evidence of how acting was her primary reason for being on the show. (Stan seems like he doesn't want someone to merely act the part of a superhero, but someone who truly wants to be a superhero, from the inside out--I think this is why someone like Feedback's in the frontrunning.)

The irony is that the planted waiter was probably a more experienced actor than she was--hey, he should be the one hooking Mary up with info! Maybe now that she's off the show they can "do lunch" and he can give her his agent's number.
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 08-30-2006 at 12:25 AM.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Lol, I thought so, too. After all, that waiter certainly had Monkey Woman fooled!

What you said about Stan and his wanting real superheroes vs. actors makes sense... but sometimes when the show goes there, I think to myself... there really aren't such things as superheroes... it's all pur-tend...does Stan know this? (kidding)

LOL The show is a fine line sometimes. But a lot of fun too. I mostly like how it emphasizes virtue, integrity, and other inner qualities.

Well, you say that there's no such thing as superheroes, but then you say this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I mostly like how it emphasizes virtue, integrity, and other inner qualities.
    And I believe that's precisely Stan's point. It's not about buff bodies, cool costumes, or fantastical powers, and it's certainly NOT about being an actor--b/c if Stan just wanted to make any old superhero movie, he didn't have to hold a competition like this--as we see in the case of Mary, actors are a dime a dozen (and I even like the concept of "Monkey Woman" but she didn't commit to it enough).

Being a superhero, we learn, is about possessing the qualities that you list in your post! What a wonderful message for Stan Lee, the creator of so many iconic superheros, to impart to audiences today.

And what a refreshing change from the backstabbing and skullduggery of a lot of reality shows today

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234