+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Eckhardts

The Eckhardts

A family who blend their Native American and Caucasian heritages with Pagan spirituality.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff

A family who blend their Native American and Caucasian heritages with Pagan spirituality.
    Woohooo!! Now THESE are MY kind of people. Rock on.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I'm going out on an early limb myself corprip, I'm going to call them my favorite family so far. Only because of the Native heritage...and by the looks of it, they're more "down to earth".
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I was going to root for them, until I saw the very last part

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Eh. No biggy imo, I'm CATHOLIC... imagine that. To me, Pagan means they just don't practice any form of religion. No biggy..everyone has their own "beliefs" that work for them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, before I posted this...I googled "pagan" or "paganism". Here's an interesting little paragraph to a pretty big site dedicated to religious tolerance;

There is no generally accepted, single, current definition for the word "Pagan." The word is among the terms that the newsgroup alt.usage.english, calls "skunk words." They have varied meanings to different people. The field of religion is rife with such words. consider: Christian, cult, hell, heaven, occult, Paganism, pluralism, salvation, Witch, Witchcraft, Unitarian Universalist, Voodoo, etc. Each has so many meanings that they often cause misunderstandings wherever they are used. Unfortunately, most people do not know this, and naturally assume that the meaning that they have been taught is universally accepted. A reader must often look at the context in which the word is used in order to guess at the intent of the writer.
    Click this link to read more... religioustolerance.org, it's really interesting.

I'm fine with anyone being Pagan. Sheesh, being Catholic should be the taboo religion lately, well...in light of the sex scandals...it basically is anymore.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Regular
    No, Maveno, it doesn't mean that at all. Modern Paganism refers to a family *of religions.* I'm Pagan, and while we can't quite agree on how to define the word, "religion" is integral. One could go a long way toward defining modern Paganism by use of words like "many" and "most", but "all" is a problem-- you can always find at least one Pagan religion that *isn't* polytheistic, Earth-centered, etc.

(I also have issues with the neighbors due to my religion (at least, we *think* that's the problem, because I can't for the life of me figure out what else it could be), so finding out that there's a Pagan family on this show makes it come a bit close to home...)

+ Reply to Thread