+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 6/10-6/11 Semi Finals (Live Top 5) **Spoilers**

Re: 6/10-6/11 Semi Finals (Live Top 5) **Spoilers**

I've been wondering if there's any significance to the order they are announced as safe. Is it truly random, or is it top to bottom? Bottom to top? I've noticed that the Swon Brothers are just about always the final contestant called safe. So, based on my theory, they've either just been squeaking by each week or they're so far ahead they're the assured winners.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

For those of you that are Nick fans, in case you didn't know, he has for other albums on iTunes under his first and last name Nicholas Mrozinski that are full of of his original music.

Personally, I don't think Blake has been leading Danielle or the Swon Brothers wrong in song choices. He has given them well loved songs that are getting new recognition from a younger generation of country fans.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Since I started the whole business with Dolly, I'll chime in here and say that my objection isn't based on whether or not Dolly is happy to be making money from the song or not (which who wouldn't be?). It has more to do with everyone singing the Whitney belt it out version instead of the more nuanced Dolly version. I understand that not everyone knows she even sang it (let alone wrote it) - or maybe who she even is - but for my personal listening enjoyment, I have never nor will I ever like the Whitney or Whitney wannabe versions of that song.
    I tried to "like" this post, but apparently it is not working for me. I agree with you Misty.

*LIKE*
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Since I started the whole business with Dolly, I'll chime in here and say that my objection isn't based on whether or not Dolly is happy to be making money from the song or not (which who wouldn't be?). It has more to do with everyone singing the Whitney belt it out version instead of the more nuanced Dolly version. I understand that not everyone knows she even sang it (let alone wrote it) - or maybe who she even is - but for my personal listening enjoyment, I have never nor will I ever like the Whitney or Whitney wannabe versions of that song.
    Luckily the Like button worked for me and I completely agree with your post. IMO no version ever compares to Dolly's for my listening enjoyment either.

yourfired said
    Ummm Adam's a Jewish guy who grew up in LA. Doesn't exactly meet the country music target demographic.
    Adam may be a Jewish guy who grew up in LA, but one of the mentors he used this season was Lady Antebellum‘s Hillary Scott, who collaborated with Maroon 5 on Hands All Over. That alone tells me he should not be a stranger to country music, since Lady Antebellum has six grammys and several other awards for their work in country music. Lady Antebellum just added some more hardware to their trophy case at the CMT Awards on June 5, 2013 with their video for their hit song, "Downtown."

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

It seems as though Blake is on a mission this season to bring back traditional country music, although I wouldn't call it "hickish."

As for the WGWG theory, if there was any merit to it, wouldn't Casey James have won his season on Idol? He was never without his guitar, and he certainly was cuter and better singer than who ultimately won.
    Well I suppose one could be offended by my use of the word "hick," but given that I associate traditional country music with places like rural Appalachia and Butcher Holler, KY, I feel like hick describes it just fine. After all, one might say a "hick town" is one far removed from urban lifestyle. That is where this music started and those tend to be the people trying hard to save country music from the pop influences of such people as Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban. The word hick is also widely accepted among country music fans. Jason Aldean even had a song about a hick town that from what I recall was pretty successful. It may have even launched his inexpiable career.

As for the WGWG theory, until this year, all of the winners of AI back through Jordin Sparks were WGWG. Some on the Idol forum even suspected that the judges purposely did not cast a WGWG this year to make sure that one did not win again this year. As for Casey's season, Lee was also a WGWG and one who came across a lot more likable than Casey did at times. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall the biggest criticism of Casey by the judges was that he was too predictable -- ie he did the same thing every week and just stood in one place all the time. Casey was also a bit too old for some of the teens, and he came across even older than what he was.

The WGWG theory has never really followed onto The Voice. If so, Tony Lucca would have won hands down (and many thought he would because of his pre-Voice following). But there also wasn't a year where Idol and the teens didn't get their WGWG winner. And if you'll recall, I said IF the teen girls want their WGWG winner on a reality show this year, the Swons have the advantage. I did not predict it, but WGWG is a theory that goes way beyond this board.
    Last edited by yourefired; 06-13-2013 at 06:31 AM.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think Whitney was the best vocalist of her generation. Her skill and proficiency was second to none. She did a beautiful job on the song. While I'm not a fan of the wannabes, I completely respect what Whitney did with the song and like it or not, it is the version of the song that will carry on and be a part of the oldies stations 50 years from now. Dolly did a great job as well, and her second time recording it for the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas was IMO better than the original. Despite that, Whitney will always be the queen of that song because of its ability to live on in her version.

And what I meant was Dolly is not bothered by not being associated with the song so why should anyone else be? Just out of curiosity, whose song is "God Blessed The Broken Road?" If you said Rascal Flatts, you'd be wrong. They had the mega hit with it and will be the ones eternally tied to it, but the song was originally recorded by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in 1994 and it first charted by Melodie Crittenden in 1998. You're Like Coming Home was originally recorded by Emerson Drive, but Lonestar had the hit so they get the credit. There are a lot more songs that are not associated with earlier recordings because the latter recording was the bigger hit. I personally prefer the Emerson Drive version of You're Like Coming Home, but I'm not going to go off when people don't associate the song with them. I just don't care that much either way.

My mom was a huge Elvis fan and for years I associated "Always On My Mind" to Elvis, not Willie Nelson and to this day I prefer the Elvis version because Willie's voice grates on my every last nerve. I know there were a few other songs Elvis also recorded that I feel the same way about, but I can't think of them right now. My point is just that it's no wonder people associate I Will Always Love You with Whitney because she had the biggest hit with it. It's the version most people are familiar with and neither I nor Dolly (seemingly) really see that as a big deal so I really don't get why people react the way you did. You're not the first and you won't be the last. I just feel like if it doesn't bother Dolly (who would have a right to be bothered) then it's really not that important. We can certainly agree to disagree, and I respect your opinion. I just felt like I needed to explain what I was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post

Adam may be a Jewish guy who grew up in LA, but one of the mentors he used this season was Lady Antebellum‘s Hillary Scott, who collaborated with Maroon 5 on Hands All Over. That alone tells me he should not be a stranger to country music, since Lady Antebellum has six grammys and several other awards for their work in country music. Lady Antebellum just added some more hardware to their trophy case at the CMT Awards on June 5, 2013 with their video for their hit song, "Downtown."
    Saying Adam knows country because he knows Lady Antebellum's work is like saying I know hip hop because I know Nelly's work. As a coast dweller in Southern California, I can safely say I know more people who do not like or listen to country music than who do. There was even a time when LA did not have a country music station because the genre is just not that popular around here. When the big stars play Staples or Honda, it's the inlanders who buy most of the tickets. So in his defense, he has not had the exposure to the genre that others may have, and you really can't fault him for that.

This does not mean Adam could not learn about country music. It simply means he did not grow up with it, but he's not the only judge who was not familiar with it. Usher, Shakira, and Christina have all admitted they're not familiar with country music. In fact, I'd say probably the most musically diverse judge is Cee Lo because he seemed like a student of all genres. And honestly, I think Blake is about as one-sided as the rest of them. He knows country but not a lot else. He even managed to turn Cassadee who herself said she didn't like country and didn't really want to go in that direction. I think that had at least a little to do with him not knowing anything else. The biggest difference between Adam and Blake in that case is that Adam didn't successfully turn his artist and Blake did.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Know it's probably a stupid question but what does WGWG stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    Know it's probably a stupid question but what does WGWG stand for?
    white guy with guitar
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I think Whitney was the best vocalist of her generation. Her skill and proficiency was second to none. She did a beautiful job on the song. While I'm not a fan of the wannabes, I completely respect what Whitney did with the song and like it or not, it is the version of the song that will carry on and be a part of the oldies stations 50 years from now. Dolly did a great job as well, and her second time recording it for the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas was IMO better than the original. Despite that, Whitney will always be the queen of that song because of its ability to live on in her version.

And what I meant was Dolly is not bothered by not being associated with the song so why should anyone else be? Just out of curiosity, whose song is "God Blessed The Broken Road?" If you said Rascal Flatts, you'd be wrong. They had the mega hit with it and will be the ones eternally tied to it, but the song was originally recorded by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in 1994 and it first charted by Melodie Crittenden in 1998. You're Like Coming Home was originally recorded by Emerson Drive, but Lonestar had the hit so they get the credit. There are a lot more songs that are not associated with earlier recordings because the latter recording was the bigger hit. I personally prefer the Emerson Drive version of You're Like Coming Home, but I'm not going to go off when people don't associate the song with them. I just don't care that much either way.

My mom was a huge Elvis fan and for years I associated "Always On My Mind" to Elvis, not Willie Nelson and to this day I prefer the Elvis version because Willie's voice grates on my every last nerve. I know there were a few other songs Elvis also recorded that I feel the same way about, but I can't think of them right now. My point is just that it's no wonder people associate I Will Always Love You with Whitney because she had the biggest hit with it. It's the version most people are familiar with and neither I nor Dolly (seemingly) really see that as a big deal so I really don't get why people react the way you did. You're not the first and you won't be the last. I just feel like if it doesn't bother Dolly (who would have a right to be bothered) then it's really not that important. We can certainly agree to disagree, and I respect your opinion. I just felt like I needed to explain what I was getting at.
    I absolutely respect your opinion as well, and I'm certainly aware that the first version someone hears of a song is usually the definitive one for that person (myself included). Growing up I heard a lot of music that I thought was original, only later to find it was a cover. I recognize that Whitney was a very proficient singer - I just don't like that style. Whitney may have been the best vocalist, but since I can't tell a flat from a sharp, it's lost on me. And since "best" is subjective - my personal best would probably be someone whose voice grates on your nerves. I apologize if I appeared to be "going off" on a tangent. This is the last I will say on the subject <grin>
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

+ Reply to Thread