+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: 4/16 The Voice 2: Performance Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/16 The Voice 2: Performance Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Watching now and here are my impressions, first off what is up with this instant elimination? Does this mean that the show will be ending a couple of weeks early? I'm confused.

RaeLynn - Still don't like her but she did a good job with that song.

Jesse - That was painful! Evidently I am hearing something the judges did not hear because what I heard had me cringing. It was nothing but a bunch of screeching and screaming and really off-key. His worst to date.

Jordis - Blake says "Jordis the singer, not the screamer". I think that's some major foreshadowing there. Blake really does not like vocal gymnastics. I thought she did a good job with this but I've heard her sing better. Never good when the first words out of the judges comments are about how "lovely" somebody looks.

Christina and team - the Crenshaw High kids actually brought a tear to my cold-dark-heart. OMG! What is Christina wearing? That's so funny though that she picked on Blake by having the "strippers" messing with him. Ashley sounds really good on this. I actually thought Christina was still singing. Not feeling the part where Lyndsay/Chris came out. Especially Lyndsay, she's not doing good on this at all but neither are Jesse or Chris. Yeah, this is right up Ashley alley.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I thought Blake did the right thing by letting go the one that the voters had let go the week previous.

While Rayelynn is rather odd, IMO, I think that many young people like her crazy style. I think she will gets lots of votes. You don't have to be a great vocalist now to make it big. I have a difficult time accepting that, but it's true.
    mindy384 and Jaceegirl like this.

Ashley - Christina "sees a lot of herself in her", yeah I do too. Plus she idolizes Christina, that should keep her around for a long time. Why is Ashley creeping along the floor? That looks so stupid. Ouch, just when I was about to say that she was doing a good job on this she hit a whole bunch of sour notes. Maybe she should have stayed creeping along on the floor.

Maroon 5 - I wouldn't turn my chair for them. I love Adam but he wouldn't win a singing competition, lol. When did Adam write this song? Seems pretty timely given his break-up and definitely seems like he wrote because of that.

Erin W. - Another Adele song?! Come on already, surely there is another female artist out there? I like this song, that always makes me hard to hear a cover of it. Erin has such a pretty voice, this is odd because parts are really good and then not so good and then good again. Weird, consistency is not her thing, is it?

At least this show isn't having their singers pull up 30, 20 year old songs. It annoys me all the Adele songs but I like that at least they choose current songs.

Adam please stop rambling but I do agree that there was something off about this song, it was odd.

Lindsey and Erin are the same age, interesting. Erin looks about 10 years older than her. Hmmm.....don't like the staging or what she's wearing. I do like how she's singing (sour notes and all) and since this is a singing competition that's a good thing. Yeah, I really don't like what she's wearing.

Team Blake sing-a-long - Jordis always sounds so much better when she's not competiting. She sounds good on this. WTH did RaeLynn just sing? That twang was so put-on, it was awful. Jermaine sounds great, somebody needs to turn RaeLynn's mic off. You know what I like about Blake? He doesn't make these things all about him like Christina did with her sing-a-long. He sang with his team instead of forcing them into the roles of back-up singers like Christina did.
    Debb70, Babbred and Jaceegirl like this.

Jermaine - I love this guy. The judges are saying that Jesse is the one to beat, I don't agree. I think Jermaine is. He is such a professional. I love that he is so serious about this and giving it the respect it deserves. Nice beginning! I wish they had picked a bigger/better song for him. He's doing the best he can with this, so....bless his heart. I didn't hear anything wrong with this other than it's a bit boring. Such a pro. Good job, one of the best of the night.

Chris - This guy frustrates me. He has such a gorgeous voice but he's so detached, it's the curse of the trained singer. They have such a hard time connecting with the music because they are so concerned with the technicality of the singing. Chris clearly is the consumate professional, I respect that. I think I have a problem with the way he phrases things, everything sounds like an opera song. I'm so conflicted about this guy. Great voice but zero personality/connection on stage. I think I would like this better recorded, then I wouldn't have to watch his almost robotic performance.
    AsIs, bee stung lips and Babbred like this.

Christina - stop rambling, gah. Just get to it already. I think she sent the right one home, shocking as it is. Thing is that Jesse did the worst tonight plus I'm not sure Jesse is willing to work with her. Why else would she keep mentioning the willingness to work with her? Ah, poor guy is crying. That stunk, I feel so bad for him. He should not have butted heads with the Queen Diva and should have spent more time kissing her butt.

Blake - Hmmm.....that was an interesting decision. Did he send the right one home? Yeah, I think so. Jordis is a wreck. Her nerves have destroyed her voice, she doesn't even sound like the same woman who competed on Rock Star. She is also very hit or miss. She did the worst on Blake's team, I would have sent her home as well. For whatever reason, RaeLynn is well liked and it would have been dumb on his part to send her home. I actually think she is going to win (she shouldn't but it is what it is).

Will be interesting to see who is the bottom tonight from the viewer votes. I think it will be Chris and Erin, I just don't see then connecting with the voters.
    Babbred likes this.

OMG! I was totally shocked that Xtina eliminated Jesse. It may have been his worst performance but the others didn't do any better too. I really thought Jesse was never in danger of getting eliminated as he will take Xtina's team all the way to the end. I felt that Xtina has the weakest team but she would win regardless because o Jesse but then she eliminates him. My jaw just dropped. She's an idiot! Everyone was floored. She could have eliminated anyone except Jesse for all I care. This will have repurcussions on Xtina (she'll be out of the game quick).

As for Blake, I understand the elimination of Jordis altough I would have preferred Raelynn to have gone. Blake's judging is based on how the contestant does well on iTunes. It was a strategic move but it was not well thought out because I think Jordis' ranking on iTunes after that performance will be higher than Raelyn's. As for Jermaine, his peformance was good but, like Adam wanted to say but in a more blunt way, he overdid the song with so many vocal histrionics that the song kinda got lost in it. It was over-indulgent and all over the place. I'm sure Blake wasn't all too impressed by it as he prefers a more subtle approach and he was just being nice because Jermaine do have a better voice than the others on his team.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 04-17-2012 at 02:46 PM.

My main comment about last night is that two hours is too darn long! Eight people to sing and it takes them two hours? They could do without the group sing and the guest stars, and a lot of the chatter and cut it down to one hour. I’m getting really burned out on these two hour shows. At least I’m glad that it looks like they’re doing the results show tonight and I don’t have to sit through another 2 hour show to watch 8 singers. As far as the actual performances go, I’m not jumping out of my chair for any of them, nor would I download anything I heard last night.

I know I’m in the minority on here, but I do like RaeLynn. I've liked her since the blind auditions, and I see improvements in her as the weeks go on. I also like country and think there is no such thing as too much twang.

I thought Jesse having the pictures of his daughter up there were pretty self indulgent and not necessarily a good idea. I also muted most of his performance because he was just too screechy for my taste. I got the impression that Christina booted him because he wasn’t bowing down to here like the others, in light of her commenting several times that some people listened to her more than others. I’ve enjoyed him in previous weeks, but definitely not last night. Kind of a shame, because I think he did have potential.

Erin has a really nice voice, but the woman is in serious need of a makeover. I don't who approved her outfit (or if they get styling help), but it didn't do her any favors and actually distracted from her singing. I only know one Adele song (Rolling in the Deep) so that isn't an issue for me. Never heard the song before, but I liked Erin’s version of it. I think it’s really better if I haven’t heard the song before, because that way I don’t have an original to compare it to.

I enjoyed Jordis, although I’ve forgotten what she sang. I don’t think I know the song. Blake was probably right to throw her off though, because of her being in the bottom 3 last week, if he didn’t have a clear idea of who he thought should stay.

I don’t remember much about Ashley.

Lindsey was boring, and I hated the production nonsense. It distracts from the singing.

I agree with Adam on Jermaine. I love that song and he just embellished it way too much. I don’t enjoy all those runs or whatever you call them anyway, and I love the original of that song.

I also love the Cold Play song Chris Mann sang, and I hated his version of it. He has a good voice – for opera – but there is too much warble to suit me when he is trying to sing anything other than opera.

Team Christina was a hot mess and Christina was the reason. What the heck was she wearing? It was definitely not flattering (although DH liked it). At first I thought they were actually going to sing that Blake Shelton song, but I should have known better.

Team Blake I enjoyed. I love the fact that Blake doesn’t make it all about him and allows his team to shine, with him being just one of the group. I thought they all sounded good.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Rae-Lynn...not feeling this kid at all. When she sings it sounds like she's taking huge gulps of water. She sounds too contrived. I don't at all think that's her real singing voice. Too bad Blake's so sold on her...cause frankly I don't get what the fuss is all about.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 04-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Shoepie and Ralfdallas like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Rae-Lynn...not feeling this kid at all. When she sings it sounds like she's taking huge gulps of water. She sounds too contrive. I don't at all think that's her real singing voice. Too bad Blake's so sold on her...cause frankly I don't get what the fuss is all about.
    I concur. I think she's particularly fake when she over-twangs w/her mouth curled up to one-side (see, e.g., team-song last night).
    Shoepie likes this.

To the Point

I have been surprisingly underwhelmed since the audition rounds. I am just not feeling any of these folks. Was surprised by both eliminations last night.
    bee stung lips and Babbred like this.

+ Reply to Thread