+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: 3/12 The Voice 2: Battle Round #2 Show Discussion

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/12 The Voice 2: Battle Round #2 Show Discussion

That song was really more suited to Jamar. I think Jamie does have more of an unusual sound--and it's a little unfair to say that the song wasn't his style, so Jamar should win. I doubt Jamie would choose that song himself, but Jamar very well might.

What I didn't like about Jamar was his need to contort himself all over the stage. Geez, don't make me feel uncomfortable while you're singing. Jamie did it too, but it was more pronounced with Jamar.

You know, the battle rounds have been a distinct letdown from the blind auditions. For the most part, they've been very predictable.

And now I really want to hug Jamie as he breaks down while trying to be gracious about Jamar's win.

So far, I think Adam and Christina have the best teams, but they haven't picked very many team members yet. Blake's first two team members seem like complete toast compared to other people who've made it through to the next round.

So far....

Christina's had 4 battles. (Chris, Jesse, Sera, Lyndsey)
    Cee Lo's had 3. (Cheesa, Juliet, Jamar)
    Blake's had 3. (RaeLynn, Jordis, Charlotte)
    Adam's had 2. (Tony, Kim)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Very dissapointed in the choicde of Lindsay-she didn't sing the song so much as play weird vocal gymnastics. She didn't convey much of anything whereas Lee I thought nailoed it quite well, keeping the intent of the song and pronouncing the words cleartly enough- I liked the tone in his voice.

Also, I kfelt Sarah did a much better job but she didn't stand a chance against someone who was prepared to play the `sex sells' game with that bondage/`I just came from a HAir meets Xena The Princess Warrior' audition. Wyile I appreciate a good unique voice there's no way I could listen to that nasaly growl through an entire song, it's grating.
    Juliet stands a really good chance of killing her voice if she keeps singing that way. I'm always a little suspicious of people who growl all the way through a song. Is it because they really like that sound or because they can't make any other sound? Sarah showed she could sing way out of her wheelhouse and throw harmonies in there too. Unfortunately, she ended up playing Sonny Bono to Juliet's Cher.
    redsox girl and Debb70 like this.

You are so right-Sarah absolutely had the bigger challange in having to sing a style that is not her usual forte at all-and she absolutely proved she can do it. Juliet sold sex not her voice and she won because of it, imo. It is discouraging.
    kateb and Debb70 like this.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

But that is why it is doubtful Cee Lo will win this thing. He is fooled by a pretty smile and some leg. It is THE VOICE!
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Yay! It's Monday. The show was pretty good tonight and only a couple of the battles were hard to predict.

Geoff vs Sera. I like them both, it was difficult to choose which one I wanted to stay. Sera made a big impression during her audition so it seemed obvious who would go on, but Geoff really fought for it too.

Charlotte vs Lex. Not really a battle as it was Charlotte's to lose. The only battle Lex might have won would have been against RayLynn.

Juliet vs Sarah. I like them both. Sarah reminds me of Jodie Foster looks wise. It was obvious who was the chosen one just based on song choice. Boo CeeLo, you should have chosen a different song to make it less obvious. I like Sarah's folksy vibe, so I hope that she continues to sing. Juliet was a little too gravelly in parts which was weird. Too gravelly on a Rod Stewart song? Yeah. WTH? is with the leather shorts? Nobody ever looks good with leather shorts on. Even XTina couldn't pull that look off.

Whitney vs Kim. I really liked Whitney in her audition, Kim not so much. Hearing them together tho, I could hear that Whitney's voice wasn't anywhere close to Kim's, the weakness of her voice definitely came through. Too bad.

Lee vs Lindsay. I liked her in the auditions but this duet was not my cup of tea at all. Blake has never heard Heart Shaped Box before? That's shocking. He should check out Jordis singing it. Awesome!

Jamar vs Jamie. Again, not a battle at all. Jamar owned that stage, while Jamie looked all kinds of awkward. It was almost like he wasn't even there.

I love seeing Alannis on my TV, just love her. So glad that she's involved with the show.

One thing that I don't like about this show? The audience never gets to know these people at all. If they were on the very first show, you kinda forget about them and then they show up at the Battle Rounds and you say "OH yeah, I remember that person" While I don't necessarily want back stories/sob stories I'd like it better if they were at least shown in the audience, with their name. Something to help me remember those early auditioners.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    You are so right-Sarah absolutely had the bigger challange in having to sing a style that is not her usual forte at all-and she absolutely proved she can do it. Juliet sold sex not her voice and she won because of it, imo. It is discouraging.
    I was unhappy with Cee Lo's choice last week, and I am unhappy this week. Not only did I think Sarah had the better voice, but I really hated the way Juliet acted on stage. She was just flat out rude!
    kateb, tapper01, Debb70 and 1 others like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    But that is why it is doubtful Cee Lo will win this thing. He is fooled by a pretty smile and some leg. It is THE VOICE!
    The whole reason this show is supposed to be different is the blind auditions--that people are judged on their voices, not their image. But they completely undermine that when they have Juliet dressed like some cross between Wonder Woman and a leather bar dominatrix while Sarah is in a vest and pants. If Juliet were really confident that she could out sing Sarah, she would have dressed more like she did in her audition.

I was fearful for Sarah's chances in this competition when she picked CeLo. When it comes to women contestants, CeLo is too easy to distract with a pretty face or a tight skirt.

I hope Sarah goes on to make it big somewhere and CeLo ends up feeling like an idiot.

Well, if he doesn't feel like an idiot wearing red silk pajamas on the show, I doubt anything will.
    Count your blessings!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Frankly, I think Juliet is showing a lack of confidence in her own voice by dressing like a leather-bound wonder woman. Sarah has a far superior voice, and it's just plain wrong that Juliet is being given every possible advantage--they dressed her in a way that's bound to attract CeLo and they gave them a song completely in her wheelhouse. And I hated that she made a big point of saying she has a soulful singer-songwriter side to her too when CeLo complimented Sarah's ability to make the song her own (though I loved the look Sarah shot her for saying that).
    Totally agree with you on Juliet. I thought the same thing. For someone who is supposedly all that (in her own mind), she came across like she was trying way, way too hard. And did I hear her correctly during one of the video clips when she said she said that her voice was stronger and she was prettier than Sarah?!? Well, I'm sorry, honey, but you ain't all that. She's obviously very, very insecure with herself. I loved Sarah's understated confidence and the quality of her voice. She reminded me a little of K.D Lang - she may not have the same power and depth to her voice, but I heard shades of Lang in there. I wish she'd have gotten picked instead of Juliet. Juliet's wannabe rock goddess screams and growls get old, fast.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast