+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 3/5 The Voice 2: Battle Round 1 Show Discussion

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: 3/5 The Voice 2: Battle Round 1 Show Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    I really hope that Cee Lo doesn`t go with Cheesa.
    I think Cee Lo made a huge mistake here. When it comes time for the public to vote, Angie would have garnered extra votes based solely on her time in the military. And, the fact that she's a fantastic singer wouldn't hurt either.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Thanks JunkieGirl - two Tonys are one too many.

I didn't agree with all of the decisions tonight, but for the most part, I think they are building strong teams. It's too bad we have to wait a full week before seeing more of the rounds. I had trouble with this last year as by the time they got to the voting stage, I had forgotten those early round winners.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-06-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Christina did such a good job in the early rounds (last year she picked a lot of duds (and when they werent duds they were people that had no shot at winning)) but is sticking to her old pattern of screwing up..anthony should not have been paired with jesse, period. They could both make records right now and do fairly well--very impressive.
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    The song choice was very unfair to him. I thought he handled it fantastically.
    I've been thinking about this, and since she admitted she can neither read music nor harmonize well, perhaps they didn't have much of a choice but to give her the melody and the vocal lead much of the time, in order to keep the duet from sounding worse. But if that's the case, it really is unfair to him--and if she can't read music or harmonize, she really needs to learn to do both, at least to some degree, as it's going to make pursuing a musical career much easier.

What happened to them makes me think that they need to have each contestant in the "battle" sing the same song separately, interpreting it as they choose to, and judge from that, as opposed to turning it into a duet. Either that or have duets battle each other.
    Debb70 likes this.

I was totally disappointed in Cee Lo's choice. Problem with Chessa is when they get around to the voting rounds I would find her quite unlikable because of her wonderfully crappy personality traits that we saw come out with the competition. She can sing but her game playing sucked and enjoyment out of it for me and I would never vote for her after that.

I still can't get over that RaeLynn that Blake chose. That's another one I would prefer not to see again with her pitch issues and tempo issues.

Jordis I'm more ok with and to me it was obvious that it was going to be her from the front end there.

I really can't stand how they slow down the tempo of all these songs in the duels from what they were sung by the original artists.

I really wish Christina hadn't pitted Anthony and Jesse against each other. If I had been her, I wouldn't have been able to choose. They were both fantastic and I think that was the best battle the show has had to date. I admit, I wasn't going to watch that one because I'm not a fan when singers "take it to church". The screeching sets my nerve endings on fire. Not my cup of tea, but I was pleasantly surprised when neither of them really took it there. It was simply a wonderful performance from both men. Damn near perfect.

I'm not sure Raelynn should have won the battle but the cheerleader rubbed me the wrong way so I'm not disappointed that I won't see her again.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I hate it when singers crouch over while they're singing, like they've got bad stomach cramps or diarrhea. So many of the contestants were doing that last night and I found it annoying. Stand up and sing properly! It might be ok to crouch once during the entire performance but a little of that goes a long way.

I think Blake made a mistake choosing RaeLynn. Her performance was so bad, I found myself cringing when she started the song. She was out of tune, her voice was wavering (like she was nervous, not like it was on purpose), and just didn't have the charisma the other girl had onstage. I don't think RaeLynn is ready for this yet.
    mushybrain, Debb70 and sparklete like this.

Do the coaches actually select these songs for their team to sing? This year reminded me of Blake's odd song choices last season. Man, when you want to hear some real Rock'n'Roll, like Blake said, you know that song "Ironic" is a great choice. LOL Really? Why would you pick that if you want them to rock out? I realize you can put your own spin on a song, but that's a little too far out there IMO.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Yes, I found many of the song choices odd. Freefallin' did not work as a country song. Ironic has some rocking parts but overall I wouldn't call it a rock 'n roll anthem.

Sadly, commercials have ruined another song for me. When I hear Total Eclipse of the Heart now, I think of the commercial with the bad karaoke singer saying he's getting a wig.

Extended Version - Ronald's Karaoke Dating - YouTube
    Debb70 likes this.

Just some random thoughts:

I didn't particulary enjoy any of the duets last night, and nobody stands out for me at all yet. Hopefully that will change during the live shows.

I'm thinking that the coaches are pairing up 2 singers who are similar since they want diversity on their team? And yes, I'm pretty sure they know going into the battle round who they want to pick. I mean, they've been working with these people and probably seeing all kinds of things we don't see in the 1 1/2 minute song, they'd have to have already made a judgement. It might be better to have the coaches not mentor until after the battle rounds, let the "helpers" do it with the mentor being not involved at all.

If I were in a battle with another singer, I think I would want to stick to my strengths and not try to out scream the other guy, or whatever. Sometimes less is more. Seemed like they were all just trying to see how high they could go and how long they could hold a note.

Quote Originally Posted by BTW View Post
    Not fair! No wonder RL won. Adley blew her away
    Blake and Miranda were not a couple when she was on Nashville Star. They didn't even meet until long after that, when Miranda was already on her way to becoming a success.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-06-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread