+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 2/20 The Voice Season 2 Blind Auditions

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: 2/20 The Voice Season 2 Blind Auditions

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    ITA. Those with very limited voices seem to fair quite well on this show this year. I don't get it.

I watch almost all of the singing contest type shows and I have tried to like The Voice, but I still do not like it as much as Idol. the X Factor didn't pan out either. I will still watch The Voice, but I'm very underwhelmed with some of the picks they are crazy about. It'll be interesting to see how they turn out when they go toe to toe in the first competition.
    Well for a show that prides itself on being called, "The Voice", it ironically appears to be far less about exceptional singing voices and more about run-of-the-mill-sounding ones, and I just don't get it. And the shows producers need not feed me the dreck that this show is not about looks. This show is as much about looks as AI, Ex-F or any of their other singing competition show counterparts. The only difference is that on The Voice, things are not initially based on looks simply because the judges backs are to the singers. But the moment they spin those dang lazy-boy chairs around and sputter and spatter on about "hot", or how "pretty" so-and-so is, it becomes as much about the singer's looks as the other shows.

The Voice is trying desperately to reinvent the wheel of singing competition shows but it just 'ain't happenin'. They are the same as the others--well aside from the fact that through all the theatrics, drama, joke auditions etc., at the end of the day, American Idol at least ends up with thoroughly talented singers in the top group, which is more than I can say for The Voice, thus far.

All The Voice is doing for me thus far is making me yearn for the days of "Rockstar". CBS, I beg of thee, please bring this show back to television!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

The problem with Rockstar is that you really need a real band that needs a new singer. Supernova was a disaster because they weren't a real band.

I still like AI the best too. Second is the Voice. Didn't like X Factor at all - I lost interest in it pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom1 View Post
    I still like AI the best too. Second is the Voice. Didn't like X Factor at all - I lost interest in it pretty quickly.
    I suspect that Simon is quite disappointed with The X Factor. It was not even close to what I imagined and in fact is my least favorite singing show. All the lights, dancers, gimmicks, etc. was over the top and not in a good way. AND the way they hid the audience was shameful. It was like the audience didn't even matter. I actually wonder if they did have a real audience in the building. IT seemed canned IMO. I don't plan to watch it next season. At least The Voice does show off their audience.

FORT Fogey

I suspect that Simon is quite disappointed with The X Factor. It was not even close to what I imagined and in fact is my least favorite singing show. All the lights, dancers, gimmicks, etc. was over the top and not in a good way. AND the way they hid the audience was shameful. It was like the audience didn't even matter. I actually wonder if they did have a real audience in the building. IT seemed canned IMO. I don't plan to watch it next season. At least The Voice does show off their audience.
    I never noticed the audience wasn't shown on X factor. With the firing of Paula and Nicole this show could improve. The one thing that sunk this show for me were the women's comments. A concise constructive critique is crucial to keep these shows moving. If you like the performance, good, but no need to wax poetic. I would FF through both of their comments.

I like the Voice. The blind auditions are excellent. And I like the audience votes in each challenge. It is a nice change.

AI is going downhill for me. The judges just gush at how good they are. What is the point? Certainly there are things these singers could improve upon. It has become dull for me. The judges were more than 50% of my enjoyment.

Mathai...I love her! She reminds me of Ashanti. Loved the street performer, too.

I also like Blake's choices a lot. He goes for the girls who have a distinct indie sound...Dia, Xenia, etc..and that's the music I listen to the most.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Mathai...I love her! She reminds me of Ashanti. Loved the street performer, too.

I also like Blake's choices a lot. He goes for the girls who have a distinct indie sound...Dia, Xenia, etc..and that's the music I listen to the most.
    I think you are right about the sound Blake looks for. I just wonder how much of that particular sound is needed. He didn't win with it last season.

FORT Fogey

I think you are right about the sound Blake looks for. I just wonder how much of that particular sound is needed. He didn't win with it last season.
    No but he came in pretty close. One of his girls stayed long enough to get a recording contract. That is pretty good. I like Blakes taste in voices. Two of the women he had last year were fabulous.
    JunkieGirl likes this.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I kind of wish they wouldn't include people with significant professional experience as musicians. I like the idea of it being a contest for people no one's ever really heard of, as it seems fairer that way. I could, however, see a similar show with more experienced people who are just looking for that big break that's eluded them.
    I think The Voice is quite proud of the fact that they are offering many people who have a good deal experience another opportunity to make it in the business. This was something that Adam defended on the Ellen show when she asked about comments made by Randy Jackson. It's a tough business to actually get a break in. I have no problem with the experienced auditioning.
    JunkieGirl and spockwhat like this.

You'd be surprised how popular indie/alternative music is. And a lot of it has gone mainstream. Everything they play on Grey's Anatomy is indie plus bands like Florence and the Machine, Paramore, Liz Phair, Snow Patrol, Death Cab for Cutie...I could go on. And a lot of the music you hear on SYTYCD is indie. It's growing quite popular.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast