+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: 2/6 The Voice Season 2 Premiere Part 2

Re: 2/6 The Voice Season 2 Premiere Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    Lindsey, a small town performer, is preparing to sing. Will she choke? I hope not!

What a small voice to start. You can hear the nerves.
    Glad she went with C. You could really tell she wanted her. She was different from the others that night. Out of all the performers so far, she at least made me pause and listen. I liked the play comment. She needs that!

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    The producers and maybe even Carson vet the performers before they go on, but I don't think the Mentors are given any info. They have been too surprised too many times.
    I agree with that. Christina mostly (but the others, too) are not that strong of actors to pretend like they don't know who the performers are.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Christina didn't even recognize someone that she worked with years ago, so it's obvious (at least in this case) that the mentors aren't told about someone's back story.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie
    There is no recovery unfortunately, but HIV can be managed. He may not have been feeling well. He would not have been cut for that. They love a back story.
    I don't remember Jamar's whole story on Idol as it was Gokey's that was shoved down our throats over and over. Would Idol want to let people know an HIV person was taking the big stage? I'm not so sure. Would the Idol audience support someone with HIV? Not so sure about that either. I do recall that he did have some support on these boards.

It was a little reassuring with Chris Rene's drug past being a major part of his story on XFactor, and if they choose to show Jamar's HIV/past drug addiction story on this show that audiences will be able to see something other than the vanilla back stories that Idol chooses to show. I prefer The Voice and XFactor for that alone: singers/performers who do not fit into perfectly wrapped little boxes with great voices.
    Allie and Babbred like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Another side benefit to them letting the drug history be a part of the story is that it takes it out of the dark and maybe will somehow help people see that you can get clean and come back. I know it won't fix everything, but making something a part of the story instead of a deep dark secret is progress.
    Allie likes this.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Oh yes he is! He may be young enough to be my....younger brother ....but he alone would keep me tuning in!! Luckily, I adore this show with or without Adam. He's just the deliciously yummy icing on the cake!

This show is so much better than AI. The singers are better, the judges are better, the format is better....I like that all the singers can actually sing. No one gets to audition for the coaches just because they're outrageous, no one has fake hissy fits, cursing and exclaiming they're the best and everyone else sucks and the coaches are crazy for not putting them through....I really appreciate that they're all greatful to be given a chance, and when they don't make it, they're actually polite and will often ask for advice on what they can do to improve. Heck, I even liked the Prince medley in the beginning of the show last night! I think my favorites so far are the black guy who auditioned second on Sunday's show...was it Jesse?...the opera guy, and Lindsey (all on team X-tina, hmmmmm). I liked Gwen also, even though Country really isn't my thing. Honestly, there's not really a bad one in the bunch yet, I'm curious to see how they all do when he competition starts. The one drawback with this show, is that only one from each team will compete for the final spot. So if you get a team that is loaded with some of the best singers, you end up losing some great talent while others that may not be as strong get to stay because their team isn't as competitive (if that makes sense).
    I so agree with you. The Voice has become my all time favorite singing reality tv show. I just like how the whole thing is handled. You don't see weeks and weeks of auditions that mean nothing and have gotten boring after watching 10 years of AI. The X Factor was a huge disappointment for me as it was to over produced and seemed fake. I was so tired of hearing the hard luck stories repeated over and over. I like the singing. That is why I watch. I don't mind hearing the background story once, and that is why I like The Voice so much. I have to add that these are all current entertainers who truly mentor their teams and don't mind giving constructive advice.
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 02-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    Babbred likes this.

Even though I specifically hit "record series" on my remote, my DVR didn't pick up Monday's show. Having to catch it online now.

Not really impressed with the couple. Clone of last year's and I predict this one won't last long, either.

Hounds of Hell guy was so-so. I think he has potential, though.

Agree with whoever said they're tired of having contestants use their family as an excuse to go on these shows. Also those who spend years sacrificing their families trying to make a go of it in this business. My BIL used to be in a band that actually got picked up by a major label but was then dropped. It was brutal on his marriage since he was away most of the time touring. That's why after the record label said no, he saw the light and came back to reality. Although it meant giving up singing, he says he's happier since he gets to spend that time with his family.

That being said, however, I liked the Tall Hat guy's personal style and he had a pretty good voice, so I felt sorry for him. I was also kind of surprised that nobody turned around. The judges are getting tougher. Last year it seems like they turned around for most of the contestants, or at least that's how it was edited.

Canadian, I agree with you about Gwen. I wasn't blown away by her, either, so I wasn't impressed with her choice to forgo a family in favor of a career that probably won't go far. I wonder how many other people in American agree with us?

Loved Kim! Loved her look, loved her attitude, loved her voice. I loved it when Adam said to Blake and Cee-Lo, "Boy, I bet you feel stupid now." You go, girl!

Loved Angie! I can't believe Xtina didn't turn around for her. I'm so glad that Cee-Lo did.
    Last edited by Babbred; 02-08-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

The football player just sounded ordinary to me. With his looks he should try going into modeling or TV.

I liked Lindsay's voice. She reminds me of Dia.

Loved Germaine! Lovely voice and loved how he said that it's not enough for a judge to want him, what about keeping him? Yes!

Angel did a lovely job. During the first part of her song I again thought of Dia.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

I thought the football playing kid had a lovely voice. He just chose the worst song to showcase it. He chose something with no depth and pigeon-holed himself with the boy band vibe.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I thought the football playing kid had a lovely voice. He just chose the worst song to showcase it. He chose something with no depth and pigeon-holed himself with the boy band vibe.
    That's pretty much what I thought.

I see that I'm about the only one who liked Jermaine. After thinking about it, I can see why people would think he's cocky. However, I found him to be funny. I mean, honestly, isn't that what every contestant is thinking? "Yeah, you may pick me now, but are you going to dump me in a couple of weeks? Am I just the filler that you're willing to let go or am I really a heavyweight that you care about?" Yeah, it may have been wrong for him to say it out loud, but I'll always chuckle over it.

I was going to ask about Xavier, but then they showed that he and Dia and Beverly have put out albums. Yea! I'm not so interested in Xavier, but I really liked Dia and Beverly. I wish them all the very best and I will definitely buy the latter two albums.

I haven't been around here in a long time, but still check in on the boards for my favorite shows periodically. Had to come back out of lurk-mode to say that I was so excited to see Gwen Sebastian on The Voice on Monday night! Being a North Dakota native (most of my family is from Hebron and another small town about 10 miles from there) it's always exciting when one of our own makes into the national spotlight!

I know that the reviews on Gwen have been a little mixed, but having seen her live stage show, I don't think the world got to see the whole of what Gwen is all about. She did a wonderful job with "Stay", but it really didn't let her truly perform. She (rightly) chose a song that was about her voice and not the performance. Her stage show is so much fun, she's a lively, energetic performer, and in reality, she performs a wide variety of music from country to blues to rock and more. I'm looking forward to everyone else getting to see what North Dakota has seen for awhile now...Gwen is a star in the making!

+ Reply to Thread