+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: The Voice: Final Results Show *SPOILERS*

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: The Voice: Final Results Show *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by bkes216 View Post
    As someone who's seen him do a whole set live, I couldn't be happier. The guy worked his ass off for years and deserves this more than any artist I've ever met. He does do more than ballads, he just used ballads on here as a strategy because that's what show off his vocals the best on the show. He's got a whole thing going on under that hat of his.

Thanks for posting that. I'd love to hear what else he can do. His voice is like buttah.

I liked Vicci better before I heard her sing "Love is a Battlefield" - which I didn't get to see/hear until I read all the praise on here about it. I think Pat Benatar is incredible (used to listen to my "Crimes of Passion" LP over and over and over again), and Vicci didn't even come close to holding a candle to her. It reminded me of contestants on AI attempting to sing Mariah or Whitney songs, and all they do is show how inferior to the originals they are.

Overall, I didn't care for this show as much as others seem to. It sounds like it will be going up against AI next year. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. If nothing else happens, I hope AI realizes they need to choose their top contestants well. I don't know how many times somebody was passed up, and it left many people shaking their heads as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That's how I saw their relationship, as father and daughter, which is why I didn't see anything wrong with it. I thought it was really sweet.

Just went and watched the performances again from the results show, or at least three of them. I couldn't bring myself to watch Dia/Miranda again. Anyway, I watched Javier/Stevie to see if I had been too harsh in not liking them, but nah, I wasn't. I really don't mean to insult a legend, but on her opening verse poor Stevie looked like she was stoned. Those hand gestures didn't help, either. It looked like she was in her own world, conducting an imaginary choir. It only got better when Javier jumped in. Their voices blended well.Beverly and Vicci were still great. I wish they would make their duets available as downloads.
    I have to be honest....I couldn't handle hearing her sing! Javier saved that song! Stevie....when she sang I looked at my DH and said, "I didn't know she still sang." DH, "She doesn't...can't you tell?!" He wasn't nice but he was honest about her.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    People will chalk this up to him being a ringer. But damn, Dia was within 2% of him and rules Itunes!
    Yep, Javier was the chosen winner from the beginning, and there was no surprise there at all. Javier was my least favorite of the 4, but I didn't vote so I can't complain. I wish him well in his career.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
    Given the choice between Javier & Dia, Javier was the easy choice. Still don't understand how Dia has all this support, must be the country thing. Only one thing could stop the country force, Justin Bieber throwing his twitter supporters in Javiers direction.
    I don't get all the support for Javier, must be the R&B fans.
    Debb70 likes this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
    I know she already had a leg up with her already strong fan base but with the voting limitations on individuals she still needed a big assist from outside of that. Her singing wasn't as strong as the other finalist (weaker voice, breathe control issues), so I figure that since voters tend skew higher for country singers she probably benefited from that also. By the way nice avatar, don't know if its true but from what I read Meg is the better overall talent of the two.
    I never heard Dia sounding the least bit country. I liked her because of the indy vibe, her voice was different. Javier was just run of the mill R&B to me. However, I would rather have seen Vicci win than either of those two.
    JavaJo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    Overall, I didn't care for this show as much as others seem to. It sounds like it will be going up against AI next year. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. If nothing else happens, I hope AI realizes they need to choose their top contestants well. I don't know how many times somebody was passed up, and it left many people shaking their heads as to why.
    If it is going up against AI, I will be watching AI and probably watch the Voice online. It was an okay show, but I really don't think its superior to AI. Maybe it will push AI to think more about the singing and less about casting a reality show though, which wouldn't be a bad thing.
    BuckeyeAddict and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Yep, Javier was the chosen winner from the beginning, and there was no surprise there at all. Javier was my least favorite of the 4, but I didn't vote so I can't complain. I wish him well in his career.
    Sums it up for me. I knew from the time of his blind audition that he would win since that's what everybody said would happen. And no, I never felt the love for him, either. He's got a nice voice, but as I've said before, his bland singing style just put me to sleep. At least Vicci and Beverly kept you awake, and Dia was different. Oh, well. Ce la vie.

It just dawned on me this morning that the Superbowl (assuming we have one) is in early February, so this show will go up against AI. It's funny how people see things differently. Unless there's another spectacular talent a la Adam Lambert, I will gladly drop AI and watch this show instead. Pointless judges, boring singers, Seacrest's usual inane look-at-me-I'm-a-star "banter,"...this past season of AI was just terrible for me. This show was better in every category. If that dynamic holds up next time, then I'll be happy to jump ship--or swim away like the proverbial rat.
    Last edited by Babbred; 07-01-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    It's funny how people see things differently. Unless there's another spectacular talent a la Adam Lambert, I will drop AI in a red hot minute and watch this show. Pointless judges, boring talent, Seacrest's usual inane look-at-me-I'm-a-star "banter,"...this past season of AI was just terrible for me. This show was better in every category. If that dynamic holds up next time, then I'll be happy to jump ship.
    Me, too. I've been searching for something to replace AI because I've been over it for a couple of seasons now. I kept watching because there wasn't a viable singing competition show to take it's place. Now we have this and soon the X-Factor. AI has lost it's spot on my DVR unless I read on here and other places that the new season has made some major changes.

SYTYCD...you are next! Soon as somebody, anybody, comes up with a viable alternative...I'm breaking up with that show too.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I don't get all the support for Javier, must be the R&B fans.
    I, mistakenly, "liked" this post. I didn't see anything R&B about Javier, at all. In fact, I got the impression that, in his style, he was more identifiable with Adam Levin's style than any other singer. Christina even stated that she wanted to hear him do something more "soulful" than the "rock" he was continuously doing, IIRC.
    Harmony2000 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I, mistakenly, "liked" this post. I didn't see anything R&B about Javier, at all. In fact, I got the impression that, in his style, he was more identifiable with Adam Levin's style than any other singer. Christina even stated that she wanted to hear him do something more "soulful" than the "rock" he was continuously doing, IIRC.
    I thought the same thing about him. He's just about as R&B as Dia is country. If anything I see him more in the Adam and Darius Rucker (before he decided he was country) genre. His voice reminds me more of the coffeehouse/songwriter thing but I don't really see him fitting that either. Could be one of the reasons why he lost his first record deal, he's hard to put in a genre.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread