+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Live Finals 06/28 **SPOILERS**

Re: Live Finals 06/28 **SPOILERS**

I was so bored with the first hour I didn't even bother to watch the second hour. They could have done it in one hour. Too much yakking, too much media room garbage. Didn't need a guest star either. Plus I didn't like either of the two original songs I heard, but then they were like so much of the garbage on the radio these days I guess that was the point. I just can't stand repititious lyrics and Vicci's song seemed like she was shouting one line over and over and over and over. I would have turned the station before it got close to the ending. I guess I'll see about watching the rest of the performances online one of these days. How long is the show tonight? I might tune in at the end to see who wins. A lot of people have said they prefer this show to Idol, but I'm the opposite. It seems more like a vehicle for the coaches than the contestants, and I never really got invested in any of them like I do with Idol.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Misty, I know what you mean about all the commercial hoopla. It bothers me too. I switch over when they start that.

Except for the group number Ceelo did of We Got To Live Together, which had me laughing on the floor, I have not enjoyed seeing the celebs perform. OH, Christina and her group did Lady Marmalade pretty well and I did enjoy Beautiful last night. Much of the celebrity performances were embarrassing IMO. I think those guys get a lot help in the studio and it's apparent when there are live. I give them credit for trying. Christina is good anywhere.

Loved the show last night! I loved that they mixed it up, rather than just have the same format of one singer doing a solo over and over, like AI. To me, mixing the duets and solos made it more like a concert, and certainly kept me interested. Man, coming into last night I would have said Javier to win, just because he was "anointed" from the get-go. However, everybody did well last night, so now I don't know. It will definitely be nail-biting tonight.

Javier

Nice voice, but I find him boring. His solo did nothing for me, but his duet with Adam was really lovely.

Beverly

Loved her before last night, but I don't know about that solo. It just didn't grab me. I thought her duet with Xtina was just beautiful, though. It's funny how people can have different perspectives. If I were Beverly I would have felt honored that Xtina wanted to do a duet with me on her song. I mean, here's this mega-pop star and she's willing to let an amateur perform her signature song on national tv. I thought of it more as sharing or passing the torch. From the video, it looked like that's how Beverly felt.

What did bother me, though, was Xtina's cleavage. Gads, I couldn't concentrate on her face because of it.

Vicci

Nice vocal on the solo, but I didn't like the lyric. Instead of pining after the guy, I would have told him good riddance, but that's just me.

Loved the duet with CLo! My favorite performance of the night! And they had children who were dressed appropriately and whose dancing matched their ages. (Nigel, take note. THIS is how you feature children, not parading them like little tarts. ) I love it when the camera first panned the row of children, at the beginning of the song. They looked so cute, trying to act tough and grown-up!

Dia

Loved the solo, but Xtina was right. Those dancers were just cheesy and lame. Way too distracting from Dia's lovely performance. I may go back today and just listen to her performance instead of watching it. Also, my mom pointed out that she was almost gasping at some points on the song. I love Dia, but she might need some training on breath control.

I wish Dia would win, but at this point I have no idea who will. Such a refreshing change from AI this season!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Since the show is called The Voice, I guess we are supposed to go for the one with the best voice, however, I just can't do that. I pull for the one that makes me the most excited to see perform. I found:

Javiar has a great voice, but I have no interest in seeing him perform. He has no fire IMO. Nice guy sure.

Dia, does nothing for me either. I find her cutesy, but off tune a lot. There are already many other girl singers who sing better than her IMO. I find Blake's fascination with her curious. Apparently, many love her. I don't get it. I do think she may win it though, to my dismay.

Vicci is a powerhouse to hear and see, but she wasn't as good last night IMO. I think the song pulled her down. I still think she's got a good shot at winning though.

Beverly was my least favorite in the beginning, but her firey performances have won me over. She puts so much soul into her ballads too! I'm pulling for her. When she performs, it keeps my attention. I try to ignore that she reminds me so much of Melissa Etheridge, even though I love Melissa. LOL
    Debb, I think Dia may win, too. I didn't watch the show devotedly so missed any of her backstory, her progress, etc., so I'm not fully behind her as the "best" of the bunch. But, it seems that she's got lots of fans. I heard some bad notes too while she was singing, but her voice is interesting and heck, all four have talent so whoever wins is fine. I find myself rooting for Vicci because of the fun show she puts on, and her cool voice, but she doesn't seem as "popular" out there as Dia.

As far as all the promoting going on, I agree it's been somewhat awkward. The first time I saw the coaches performing, I thought it was odd because I thought, that's not what this show is about. But, guess they've got egos to feed too. And their fans probably loved it when they'd perform. It also seemed weird to me when Paula or JLo performed on AI, like they need some attention too, so it's not just this show. I understand they're talented, but in general I want to hear/see the contestants.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    I like Vicci and she has a good voice but something about her I don't like...can't put my finger on it.
    I think it's her dancing. I love to hear her sing but I can't watch her perform. It just makes me laugh.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I love this show. I agree with the poster who said that it was like watching a concert with varied acts. All eight semifinalists are very good, and I especially appreciate the show's focus on singing and performing versus personality. Unlike American Idol, the Voice producers didn't hit us over the head with scenes of the contestants interacting with the each other behind the scenes. Of the eight Voice semifinalists, I don't know who is supposed to be the nicest or who is the meanest, and I don't care. However, like AI, the "judges" or "coaches" are overplaying their own on-screen banter. It's all fake and tiresome. Adam is playing the over-achiever, Xtina the narcissistic diva, C-Lo the good-ole boy pop producer and Blake the country crank. We need more music critique and less drama club, please!

Regarding my favorite singer....That's been Beverly all along. She has a remarkably rich tone to her voice, soulful phrasing, fantastic vocal control and sparkling stage energy. I listened to a few of her previous recordings (pre-Voice) and they are all, interestingly, more soft folky than rockish. I hope, on her next album, she does both folk and rock.
    Babycakee and Debb70 like this.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

LT1

I don't know if this is a good indicator of the the eventual winner, but Dia currently has the #1 song on Itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1 View Post
    I don't know if this is a good indicator of the the eventual winner, but Dia currently has the #1 song on Itunes.
    Yes, I think it is a great indicator of who will win. In fact, it will be shocking if she doesn't win. Too bad though. She's not a great singer and lacks personality. I hope Blake can help with those little matters. LOL No offense to Dia fans. To each his own. I think Bev is a better choice. We shall see.

FORT Fogey

I think it is a great indicator too. Javier has moved from 4th to 2nd. Bev is not even in contention on iTunes. I think it's between Dia and Javier. BTW, Adam and Javier's version of "Man in the Mirror" is @ 10.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I think it's her dancing. I love to hear her sing but I can't watch her perform. It just makes me laugh.
    That might be it! I think she acts too tough also.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread