+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Live Semi-Finals 06/21 **SPOILERS**

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Live Semi-Finals 06/21 **SPOILERS**

Overall, a great night of singing and what I really enjoyed was seeing how each coach has chosen competitors with the same kinds of strengths on their team.

Team Ceelo:
    What stands out in his team for me is the performance ability of both Nakia and Vicci. They are both powerful, aggressive singers and performers. The least frightened two out there, possibly. (Well, with the exception of Beverly, but wait.)
    This may be the toughest to call out of the pairs... Nakia probably had a better vocal, but Vicci is larger than life on that stage. She's an amazing performer.
    Tough to call, but I think Vicci will take it... maybe Nakia.

Team Christina:
    Bald and talented. These ladies have great instruments. They are both powerful and larger than life on stage as well. That said:
    Frenchie: not her best performance last night, and it will probably cost her. I didn't really care for that version of "Like a Prayer" so it didn't really help either.
    Beverly: THAT was Beverly toned down!? Yikes! Her energy is through the roof in every performance and I actually find it hard to watch sometimes. Her intensity and how it registers in her movements (including especially facial) frighten me a little. Her singing though... it's great, but I'd still like her to rein it in, way in, for a least part of the song.
    My call: Beverly. She was America's choice before, and I think it will stick.

Team Blake:
    Both are quieter, interesting vocalists and very artistic.
    Dia: Best performance and vocal of the night. She also has a fantastic persona. She has quiet confidence, she's on the verge of musical genius, and she looks great without letting it all hang out. She's my favourite.
    Xenia: Nice vocals, but not good enough.
    Call it: If Dia doesn't make it through, I'll be completely flabbergasted.

Team Adam:
    The least two alike of all the chosen ones. But does it really matter? He has Javier.
    Javier: Not my favourite performance, but his tone is a gift from God. Few guys can sing that high and be so pure.
    Casey: My least favourite song of the night. Her singing voice is different than her speaking voice, thank goodness, but that nasally tone is still detectable. I just don't like it.
    My call: Javier. It has to be.

As for Adam and his praise for Nakia, I wonder if it was a bit of trying to bolster Nakia above Vicci. I think Adam's a little scared of her because she performs too well.

For the first time this season:

* I did not like Vicci. Vocals were very "meh", even a little shouty at times to make up for lack of range. Disappointing.

* I disliked Xenia. Flat and underwhelming. She's going backward for me.

* I liked Javier's performance. Maybe because I could hear the melody for a change? Also, losing that doofus-y "Fresh Prince" hat was a plus.

* I really liked Dia. Never impressed by her before, but she brought it last night. She'd be my pick for "winner" of last night's competition, if there were a winner.

Also, I thought Casey blew a chance to bring something unique to IWALY. If she had started the way she ended, she might have been on to something. (Not enough to win, but still.)

I'm in the minority but I really love Xenia. Her voice is just so cool. It's perfect for Indie music. I also thought that while she still seemed a bit uncomfortable up there, she has improved. She wasn't shaking the whole time and her voice was stronger. I think this girl could really go somewhere if she can gain some confidence. She reminds me of artists like Tegan and Sarah and Ingrid Michaelson. LOVE her voice.
    quentcomps likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I thought Vicci killed it last night.. but I am partial to that song. She's my favorite right now. Dia really did great and I wasn't too much of a fan until last nights performance (she's just so adorable!!) Love Beverly and lastly Javier.. he has a fantastic voice but I'm bored with him and would have preferred him to sing something more upbeat.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    I hope they change the elimination process, strip down some of the background stuff, and make next season a little less predictable. I can predict who will go thru tomorrow and I have heard several of them sing yet. This makes me sad.
    I was even willing to predict the winner several weeks ago (not who I would prefer for sure).
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'm hearing some Dolly Parton in Casey's delivery.

I know that this is a singing show, but I can't stand her baby speaking voice.
    That's because she's doing the song the way Dolly Parton originally did it, not the annoying overblown cover version that Whitney did.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I'm in the minority but I really love Xenia. Her voice is just so cool. It's perfect for Indie music. I also thought that while she still seemed a bit uncomfortable up there, she has improved. She wasn't shaking the whole time and her voice was stronger. I think this girl could really go somewhere if she can gain some confidence. She reminds me of artists like Tegan and Sarah and Ingrid Michaelson. LOVE her voice.
    I like Xenia too, I like her voice much more than belters like Frenchie, so much more interesting.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I never was a Frenchie fan (even back when). Nor was I a Beverly fan until last night. I really loved that song she did. But I like that type of music. However, if I were to buy an album it would be by Dia because I think she would do the most solid album. All the others I feel kind of "meh" about and I really don't like Xenia trying to sing like Norah. I don't find her voice that unique because I like Norah.

Xenia has a lovely voice; as people said last night, if you closed your eyes while she sang it would be a nice performance. Unfortunately, she's just not ready to appear in front of lots of people. Maybe she should get a vocal coach and after some work try out for one of the other singing shows.

However, if I were to buy an album it would be by Dia because I think she would do the most solid album.
    I agree, Chaos. I might try Vicci because she did do something a little softer last week. I love Beverly, but she belts out every song and having an entire album of that might get tiring.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I never was a Frenchie fan (even back when). Nor was I a Beverly fan until last night. I really loved that song she did. But I like that type of music. However, if I were to buy an album it would be by Dia because I think she would do the most solid album. All the others I feel kind of "meh" about and I really don't like Xenia trying to sing like Norah. I don't find her voice that unique because I like Norah.
    I don't think she sounds like or is trying to sound like Norah. Norah is jazz and a bit of blues. Xenia is more Indie...Ingrid, Tegan/Sarah, A Fine Frenzy, Jem....she has more of that sound. And Indie music is hot right now...thanks to the first Twilight soundtrack. It made the youngsters sit up and pay attention. So I think Xenia could have a serious career if that's the route she goes. Especially since it's becoming more popular. I heard a Blue October song on the radio the other day....I about fell over. But instead, I just cranked it up and enjoyed the song...lol

I have to say...Blake really surprised me in his manner of handling Xenia. I saw a ton of growth (confidence wise) from last week to this week. I think with a little more time, she could be amazing. I've even noticed a change in Dia. She's more sure of herself. I just wish she'd do away with the granny dresses.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread