+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The Voice 5/10 ***Spoilers***

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: The Voice 5/10 ***Spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    Honestly Tyler was doomed from the start. When Blake turned around, you could tell he was like ah crap. He would have chosen Patrick regardless. I don't think it was the country thing though or Blake wouldn't have turned around for Tyler. Remember that he was the only one who turned for him. I think Blake is about marketing and knows someone like Tyler couldn't be marketed into a star. Blake also ducked the heavy guy who sang Rascal Flatts.

That being said, I don't condemn Blake's pick to move on. I only condemn his choice of song for them. Burning Love? Seriously? It's not a singer's song. I'd liken it to I Kissed a Girl for Frenchie's audition song. Elvis could pull it off because at one time Elvis was like walking sex to a lot of women. But I'm sure even he would tell you it wasn't one of his vocal marvels.

Had Blake really wanted to stack the deck, he'd have chosen a country song for them. Patrick shines at those. He nailed Live Like You Were Dying and would easily out sing Scotty McCreary. I think Patrick is great, but Burning Love isn't a song that will make anyone great. I also think he will get a lot of votes and Blake is smart enough to know that. Blake is trying to win in the end, and he knows Tyler wouldn't win.
    I condemn both his choice of song and his writing off of Tyler. Patrick is just another country singer to me. He can sing, but doesn't have anything to make him stand out and above many other male country singers. Scotty has that incredible deep voice that is his ticket... I just see Patrick fading away in the competition. Just me and Blake disagreeing on this one.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I condemn both his choice of song and his writing off of Tyler. Patrick is just another country singer to me. He can sing, but doesn't have anything to make him stand out and above many other male country singers. Scotty has that incredible deep voice that is his ticket... I just see Patrick fading away in the competition. Just me and Blake disagreeing on this one.
    I am certainly not an expert in any sense of the word about country music. You are right that Scotty's deep voice is one of his signatures, but I think Scotty's bigger appeal is his sweet, wholesome, good-ol-boy nature.

Perhaps Patrick is as well, but we won't see him again for four weeks (while the other duels are battling) and we will all forget him by then. Without constant reminders, Patrick appears to be forgettable.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    I am certainly not an expert in any sense of the word about country music. You are right that Scotty's deep voice is one of his signatures, but I think Scotty's bigger appeal is his sweet, wholesome, good-ol-boy nature.

Perhaps Patrick is as well, but we won't see him again for four weeks (while the other duels are battling) and we will all forget him by then. Without constant reminders, Patrick appears to be forgettable.
    I don't think this really hurts anyone in the long run. We can compare it to the Idol formula, which shows brief glimpses of contestants in the early audition rounds, but then we don't see those contestants again for many weeks. After these battle rounds, they will no doubt show clips of each performance as a refresher, and then go right into the audience voting stage. Those first performances of the final 16 is where the singers will win or solidify fans.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    Blake is sticking out for all the wrong reasons as a judge on this show.

I really felt the other judges decided who they wanted during the battle rounds and Blake already had his mind set before hand.
    Agree on both points.

Adam picking Casey was no brainer. Vicci and Casey are my favorite contestants so far, but there is still a lot we haven't seen yet. So I am keeping an open mind at this point.

Good show so far!
    I loved both of those contestants, so I was happy that they got picked.The only battle I had doubts about was the last once, since Nikki also had a great voice. I felt sorry for Tim since it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to get picked.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

TVGMSchneider: ...NBC will expand live eps of THE VOICE to two hours, from 9 to 11 pm, on Tuesdays from 6/7 through 6/28

I guess NBC listened to the many tweets about wanting the show to go back to being 2 hours!

First live episode, 16 contestants. I think going to 2 hours was already part of the plan. What surprises me is that they didn't go with the more kid friendly 8 to 10 time.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post

I haven't really watched Idol this year because I feel like it jumped the shark when Paula left, but I have seen clips of Scotty singing and something about him just creeps me out. Don't know if its the strange way he holds the mike and smirks or what....I also don't think he's picked very appropriate songs for his age-I know he sang Letters From Home which is about a soldier overseas missing everything he left behind. It bugs me that a sixteen year old would sing that (or a few of the other songs he's chosen) because someone that young doesn't have the life experience to know what that's about. It's the same thing that bothers me about Taylor Swift too (yeah, I could go on and on about her...wish she'd go to pop and stay there)

I think Patrick brought a believability to Live Like You Were Dying that Scotty's missing. He made me forget how dern young he is when he opened his mouth, which is a very good thing considering he isn't all that much older than Scotty. And yeah, he's a good looking kid with a great voice who with the right mentor can be extremely marketable. But I really think Blake picked him more because he thinks he can actually help Patrick whereas he'd be holding Tyler back from the kind of music he wants to make. I really feel that was Blake's motivation more than Tyler being gay or not being marketable (which I don't believe....if a woman wearing a meat dress can be marketable, a gay man in a bow tie can be too-it's just a matter of finding the right person and the right method to push the artist) In the same vein, Blake didn't 'duck' the heavy guy who sang Rascal Flatts-Blake did pick him, although he was the last judge to do so. I was surprised anybody wanted that kid because frankly, he wasn't very good, and I think Blake thought the same but was kinda pressured by the other judges because the kid sang a country song. He DID fight pretty hard for the big guy who sang Cee-lo's song, remember.

Besides, I bet any guy who used to rock that god-awful long curly hair that Blake did (and who admitted how ugly it was) understands that it's more about just the looks.

I said it over in Blake's thread and I'll say it here-I got the impression that the judges didn't realize that some of the auditioners would get second chances and they were trying to fill spots because they were worried they would go into the next round with fewer contestants than the other judges. I think Tyler, as well as those two little girls Cee-lo picked, were impulse, got to fill this spot picks by Blake and Cee-lo. But I think Blake really doesn't feel too comfortable outside the country genre and he's picking accordingly-nothing wrong with that, Christina's basically done the same thing. She's only got one guy in her stable of powerhouse female singers, right? I don't blame either of them for wanting to mentor a similar kind of voice, and I don't think it makes them bad people. I just don't really get why people are knocking Blake for it-and yes, I do feel Tyler gave the much better performance, but in hindsight I can understand why Blake would make the choice to go with Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Her name is Sia Furler and I had never heard of her either until I did the music research for my DWTS recap for this week. Among other songs, she is the songwriter for the third episode of The Twilight Saga. Anyway - at least I knew her name when Christina introduced her.
    She just goes by Sia and she is probably best known for her amazing song "Breathe Me." She is an incredibly talented singer and a global success. I tend to listen to music from talented artists like her instead of the top 40 crap which features a lot of folks who cant sing but get a lot of attention from their antics/dress/etc.. (like the uber-untalented folks such as Katy Perry, etc...).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678