+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Voice 4/26 ***Spoilers***

Re: The Voice 4/26 ***Spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    Christina was obviously bailing out her buddy Frenchie when no one else was turning around. I find it interesting that she was not even trying to hide her past -- including her starring role in Rent on Broadway. And Frenchie is certainly not the only contestant with a modicum of true success before coming on the show.
    Did Christina recognize her voice? Just curious, since Adam said she looked familiar but couldn't place her.

I felt sorry for Frenchie, but honestly, I can see why the judges didn't turn around. It was not the best audition by a country mile. I really hope she steps it up next week.

OTOH, it proves that the concept of the show works. If the judges had been able to see and recognize her, I'm sure they probably would have put her through on sympathy. Same thing for Mrs. Rizzo. If this had been AI, she would have begged and they would have waffled and probably put her through. It's SO refreshing to see that not happening.

I love the rest of this show, too. Love the judges and their banter, and how they treat the contestants. Love most of the contestants. Favorites were the girl who lives in her car and sings in bars...country boy...Taralyn the first contestant. Those were the ones that stood out, but most of the others were pretty good.

Only ones I didn't quite like were Xavier and that last lady. I love "Time After Time" and Xavier's rendition just didn't grab me. The other lady just seemed karaoke to me. However, I loved her attitude and she did have a good voice, so I'll give her a second chance.

It will be interesting to see how the audience reacts to a contest that includes so many seasoned professionals...and also how those pros will react to being coached!
    I hope Frenchie will remain humble since she wants this so badly.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Xavier is good, but there's a disconnect for me. Hopefully Adam can help with that. He's a master with that skiill! I wish Rebecca had chosen CeeLo. He's quirky and different, and I see that as something to be nurtured in her. The last lady sounds just like Melissa Etheridge. She has a good instrument, but needs to find her own voice. No pun intended!

ETA: Interesting that Frenchy didn't pick a better audition song.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    ETA: Interesting that Frenchy didn't pick a better audition song.
    Call me a pessimist, but I have a feeling that this show is more scripted than any other show. Considering the tweet from Frenchie to Xtina, my guess is that their friendly pairing was planned and intentional. What exactly can Xtina do to "coach" Frenchie EXCEPT for "helping" her choose better repertoire??

Funny how by the end of the show, all four judges had three team members! Funny how each of the teams appear to be relatively evenly matched! My guess is that the better choices were TOLD who to choose -- why else would Javier say that his choice may surprise them?? I mean REALLY?? -- a music conservatory graduate (Hartt School of Music) would willingly choose Adam??

Perhaps by the end of next week it will appear to be more random and unplanned. If so, I will gladly rescind my questionable attitude and apologize.

FORT Regular

It's already annoying for me when they judges turn around and go, "oh i want to press the button now that I've seen you" and the other judges go "haha it doesn't work like that"...
    i mean...
    really?

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

(moving this from the other thread)

I actually enjoyed this show last night with my husband.

Grown bored with almost all the "reality" shows I used to love, watch, and discuss on here. This one got more interesting for me.

I find it very interesting because I was working really hard to try to "make it" in the music business at one time. As a woman with a voice that got plenty of valid positive feedback, but a body that didn't cut it post-Madonna emphasis on female T&A over voice, I am particularly interested to see where this goes.

I like that applicants were screened prior to the finals so that all we're hearing are truly talented voices competing. There's no throwing in a dud here and there to falsely drum up laughs or waste time. I do think that some of the more "interesting" looking people were thrown in to jar people a bit, but I'll give that a pass.

I don't recall names well. But the girl who did the Nirvana cover particularly interested me. I actually wish Cee Lo had voted for and gotten her. She's got a voice that remind me of my own, and coincidentally, one of the songs I was best known for was an acoustic cover of Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box." Her version of "Come As You Are" was really different. I think Adam Levine is too mainstream to take her in an interesting direction. Cee Lo is more "out there" and experimental. But I'm glad she made it through. (Youtubed it - Rebecca Loebe is her name)

I find it a bit telling that Cee Lo turned around and saw how hot the one chick was and groaned and bemoaned that he couldn't still vote for her. Her voice wasn't good enough for a vote but once he saw the face & bod, he wanted her anyway. Tells me that things still don't change all that much. And makes me a bit worried that even though all of them are picking people who are both hot and plain, they'll end up devoting more effort into the visually striking "typical" people and let the plain ones quietly "lose" the competition.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Will they be able to primp some of the less visually striking people, will they even attempt it? Will they try to push them without changing their images? Will the "winner" be someone who might have a great voice, but already have a hot bod & image to go-with?

The Voice: Spoilers

When they do the battle rounds Tuesday after next the coaches will have musical advisers which includes Reba McEntire, Monica, Sia Furler, & Adam Blackstone.

Re: The Voice: Spoilers

Oooo I didn't connect those dots. These are bonafide stars so they can pull on that and bring in some serious mentors. I can't wait! Also can't wait to see Lukas Rossi declined, that will make my entire week.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I'm not a Rock guy so I never looked at CBS's Rock Star: Supernova, but from what I can tell there are a lot of people who can't wait for him to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
    I'm not a Rock guy so I never looked at CBS's Rock Star: Supernova, but from what I can tell there are a lot of people who can't wait for him to go down.
    Since I never watched that show, either, could somebody remind me why he's so hated?

Great observations, Fierce. Since the judges/mentors are all veterans of the industry, will they be tempted to go with image over raw talent? That could be a speacial temptation for Christina.

BTW, why do some people spell her her name with an X?
    Last edited by Babbred; 04-28-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Babbred - for the same reasons some spell Christmas as Xmas, I'd imagine. I really have no idea, lol.

OK some more interesting tidbits for us Rockstar fans. The house band? Mostly the house band from Rockstar! We've got Paul, Nate, and Sasha. But unfortunately no Rafa or Jim. But it's going to be great musical times having them as the house band. How could I have forgotten that Mark Burnett was also the man behind Rockstar? Hmm.....which brings up the Lukas thing....interesting.

Lukas - how to explain my all encompassing hatred of this guy. Well we can start with how smarmy he was and how completely untalented of a singer and how no matter how badly he did the little emo's out there loved him and he kept advancing! It made no sense, none! That somebody with such a mediocre level of talent would advance beyond much better singers. Gah...he was to rock what Sanya was to pop and AI. Except at least Sanya was nice, this guy was an arrogant blowhard.

There. I think I managed to explain why at least I didn't like him lol. Oh and did I mention the constant sticking out of the tongue? The overwrought "Look at me! I'm a genuine rocker!" thing with the skunk hair, the guy liner, the too tight pants....gah!
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread