+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Blake Shelton - Coach

Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

Same here, Magnum. I really didn't like the other girl.

I like Blake. I'm not a country fan but I'm enjoying having him as one of the coaches.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    The antonym of elitist would be egalitarian, but that is irrelevant. He is an elitist in that he doesn't appear to think anyone not country is of any value. Ergo, country singers are the elite in his eyes.
    Well, egalitarian wasn't the word I was looking for. I was looking for "mediocritist" or some word meaning "favoring inferiority." But I appreciate your take on it too! That's actually a really good way to think of it. I would never think that a country guy would be an elitist. But when I think of it, a lot of country people do think that their type of people are better than others. It's hard for me to think of it that way because I am from California. Northern California.

See I am liking Blake less myself, I thought it was just me...

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    Well, egalitarian wasn't the word I was looking for. I was looking for "mediocritist" or some word meaning "favoring inferiority." But I appreciate your take on it too! That's actually a really good way to think of it. I would never think that a country guy would be an elitist. But when I think of it, a lot of country people do think that their type of people are better than others. It's hard for me to think of it that way because I am from California. Northern California.
    If you are from No. Cal. then you have had the roots of Country/Country Rock right in your back yard since the 60's. The Dead, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, The Joy Of Cooking, Creedence Clearwater Revival & so many others come from your area. Were they all about mediocrity?

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    If you are from No. Cal. then you have had the roots of Country/Country Rock right in your back yard since the 60's. The Dead, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, The Joy Of Cooking, Creedence Clearwater Revival & so many others come from your area. Were they all about mediocrity?
    I am not from Northern California, but I have to say that of all the forms of country that exist (original country, country rock, country punk, country swing, et al), the current form of country pop is absolutely mediocre - my husband, a musician, refers to it as "neutered". I would go so far as to call it dreadful, but I'll have to allow that my utter distaste for only two types of music - new country and free-form jazz - affect my objectivity somewhat.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

rattus,

Whom do you consider Country Pop that you dislike so much?

I think a lot of what is currently on Country radio could be looked at a 60's & 70's rock. It certainly isn't the whining & crying George Jones type of Country, but I absolutely hated that stuff. I really believe a lot of groups, Poco, Pure Prairie League, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Marshall Tucker, Elvin Bishop, Wet Willie, & I could go on & on, but I believe most of them would find a home on today's Country radio.
    Last edited by razorbacker; 05-29-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Well, if I have to listen to country, I would rather listen to George Jones (or Waylon Jennings or Merle Haggard) over Blake Shelton (or Carrie Underwood or...I really can't recall names, I find them that boring). As far as actually liking when it comes to people doing country/country adjacent music today, I love Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, etc.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I notice you put Carrie in parenthesis, I reckon that is a shout out to me because it's well known that I am probably her biggest fan on this site. That's why they call it art, something for everybody to either love or hate, but when it comes to Carrie, I truly think you are missing out on one of the best vocalists in going regardless of genre. I don't find any of the new country boring, & the only person in Country music that I can say that I just don't like at all is Taylor Swift. Perhaps that is due to the fact that she really is pop masquerading as Country. And she is so grossly overrated that it becomes obvious the girl just can't sing every time she is forced to perform live on one or another award show.

For all you folks that are taking Blake to task for sticking to what he knows...why is it you have forgotten the other 3 judges? How many of them have wandered astray of what they know? CeeLo doesn't have anyone out of the Pop Genre, XTina has so far chosen all girls & since she has only 2 girls left she will have an entire female team. Perhaps Adam is the only one of the 3 that is branching out & expanding his team a bit.

I notice you put Carrie in parenthesis, I reckon that is a shout out to me because it's well known that I am probably her biggest fan on this site.
    Actually, no. I brought up her name simply because there was a reference to her in the paper I was reading this morning as "pleasantly generic", with which I happen to agree.

That's why they call it art, something for everybody to either love or hate, but when it comes to Carrie, I truly think you are missing out on one of the best vocalists in going regardless of genre.
    She may have a decent voice, but I don't actually care about decent voices. I like interesting voices (Neil Young is a prime example of a voice that I love that wouldn't even make it past the initial meet and greet on one of these silly shows), but more more to the point, I love a good musician. That means someone who writes and performs their own great music, and Steve Earle is a prime example of that. As is Neil Young for that matter.
    Perhaps Adam is the only one of the 3 that is branching out & expanding his team a bit.
    Much to my surprise, because I honestly expected Cee Lo to be the grand master of this group, Adam is the only one whose work, options and opinions I am at all respecting. And I hate Maroon 5. Hate 'em.

FORT Fogey

I've never heard any of them. We don't listen to that stuff in the Bay Area. Also, I was born in the 80's and wouldn't know them because of timing. I'm not exactly sure how that relates to Blake's love of mediocrity.

+ Reply to Thread