+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Blake Shelton - Coach

Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

I pulled out my CD jacket of Blake last night. He used to have long curls and a chubby baby face. Check out these old photos of him. He's so cute!

photos of blake shelton - Google Search

FORT Fan

I know you were joking, but of course I do not know Blake personally. That being said, I have been a fan of his for over 10 years and I've read countless interviews with him, articles about him, and statements about him made by other fans and celebrities. He has never once-as I said before- said anything that was intentionally cruel. Never anything homophobic or racist or anything of the sort. And given how clear on this show that he's pretty vocal in his opinions, you'd think any kind of bias like people thought of this tweet would have shown up at some point in those ten years (although granted, you can have celebrities like Mel Gibson who, out of the blue after however many years, up and start to go nuts and say things that are legitimately awful) Blake likes to share his opinions, he likes to share his humor, he likes to be playful. Again, I've never heard him be cruel.

As for the tweet-when I saw it, I laughed, I moved on. I never once took it as a violent anti-gay thing until GLAAD started screaming about it. Why? Because I read it like it was intended, from the point of view of a woman who is warning off any guys who are thinking of playing grab ass without permission. I laughed because I've been there-I actually decked a guy who came up and grabbed me in a club, and watched as he was thrown out with a broken nose and blood dripping down his shirt, and it was pretty satisfying. I never thought it as a threat of violence towards gay men.

GLAAD's job is to stand up for gay people and fight against homophobia. That being said, they need to make sure that they're actually dealing with homophobia before they go on the attack. How many times have people rolled their eyes at Al Sharpton for making everything a black vs. white issue, Phillip on Survivor calling Steve a racist because Steve called him crazy, or how about that old story about Peter crying wolf? When GLAAD wastes time fighting things that they don't fully understand and that weren't actually intended to be homophobic, it lessens their effectiveness in combating real instances of homophobia and makes people view them as a joke. Which is why I say that they look bad in this situation, as much as if not more than Blake. In a situation like this where someone's intention is not very clear, it would serve them much better to privately contact that person before making an official statement. Obviously Blake was glad to clarify what he meant and state that he is against violence toward any person. And THAT could have been accomplished without GLAAD going on the warpath, bringing far more attention to a stupid tweet that it would have ever otherwise gotten, and taking their time and efforts away from where there really can be some good done.

Did Blake look bad? Yeah, in retrospect, of course. He was probably smacking himself for not considering that people could take it the wrong way. But did GLAAD look bad too? Yeah, of course, because in retrospect, they handled the situation poorly. I hope both parties can learn from their mistakes.
    Last edited by pretlitdev; 05-06-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added text

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    He is the only one who looks bad in this instance. Assumption is part of communication. It came off really wrong. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's just got to take the perspectives of others before he tweets or else he runs the risk of offending others.
    Yes. He told the, unbeknownst to him gay singer, not to go with Cee Lo because he dresses like a peacock. There is some ignorant country boy in there. He just is unaware and has no malice. It is a way of communication between gool old boys that will stop at some point. No need to get ruffled, just gently educate. He is a good man. I like him. Just not as socially aware as some.

FORT Fan

I had not heard of any of this until yeterday when a gay friend of mine complained about Blake and his "homophobia". My quick response was that I predicted the real reason for the outrage is that he cuts the gay contestant this coming week and the kid is searching for a reason for his "unfair elimination". Now, I have no idea how far ahead this show has taped, but it will interesting to see how my theory pans out....or if I am merely dillusional!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    Original lyrics were "Any man of mine, better walk the line, better show me a teasin', squeezin', pleasin' kind of type"

Blake wrote on his twitter "Re-writing my fav Shania Twain song.. Any man that tries Touching my behind He's gonna be a beaten, bleedin', heaving kind of guy..."

He mentioned later he was rewriting it from Shania's point of view, but people who clearly don't get his brand of humor thought he was making an ati-gay statement. And then GLAAD, of course, jumped on it and bashed him until he realized just why people were thinking he was homophobic and worked with them to release something clarifying what he meant and speaking out against anti-gay violence. *shakes head* People are too ready to criticize everything a celebrity says or does, ridiculous really...

First off, I don't get how the rewrite represents homophobia. Second, Blake Shelton is known for having a dry, sharp, sarcastic sense of humor. This means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    First off, I don't get how the rewrite represents homophobia. Second, Blake Shelton is known for having a dry, sharp, sarcastic sense of humor. This means nothing.
    I can see the humor in it to a degree. As part of the gay community who has listen daily as people throw their humor around in a variety of places, who has been the victim of phobic people I can see where it's just not funny. I get what he was trying to do but it came off wrong and lets just face it where I live there are a lot of his fans that are already hating on people like me and really this just added a little fuel to their fire.

I'm sure he's not a hateful person in person and I'm quite sure he could see why it was taken poorly after the fact. I can forgive him because he's not a member of the community and does not have to live with that hate spewn at him daily. He doesn't know what a fresh and open wound it is to many many people out there. And it is a really fresh and painful wound to many of us. To minimize it by saying we're too sensitive... walk a mile in my shoes and then tell me I'm too sensitive.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    I had not heard of any of this until yeterday when a gay friend of mine complained about Blake and his "homophobia". My quick response was that I predicted the real reason for the outrage is that he cuts the gay contestant this coming week and the kid is searching for a reason for his "unfair elimination". Now, I have no idea how far ahead this show has taped, but it will interesting to see how my theory pans out....or if I am merely dillusional!!

It's interesting that the gay guy (would use names if I could remember them) was cut. I thought he was much better than the guy who was picked, but I thought it was a matter of him being a country singer, not a not gay guy. Maybe a little of both?

I thought Blake made the wrong decision. Gay or not, Country or not, the guy that went home had the better voice.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I don't see it as homophobic either. It was a freaking joke! People are always looking for drama and controversy. And you know what? Sometimes Blake says stuff just for shock value. I loved how he used to retweet all the PETA anti-Blake stuff and say stuff like he was roasting an endangered species for dinner. This is no different. I wish people would just lighten up.

Honestly, I don't think Tyler was cut because he's gay. Blake was the only judge who turned around so he heard something there. But Tyler wasn't marketable and he would not have won. That's why Blake cut him. Period.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

FORT Fan

I don't think Blake cut Tyler because he's gay or because he's unmarketable-in fact, I think Tyler could be very marketable in the right hands, which Blake clearly isn't. Not for Tyler anyway. I'm becoming more and more convinced that Blake is really looking for a great country act, and obviously that is Patrick over Tyler. I also don't think Tyler has a better voice than Patrick although I really thought Tyler sang the song better because he gave a really amazing performance. I think that Blake just looked at the two of them up there and realized he could do absolutely nothing for Tyler or to promote the type of music he sings whereas he could be a huge asset in developing Patrick.

I can't help but wonder if choosing Tyler was a kind of knee jerk reaction from Blake in the audition rounds. It didn't seem like the judges knew that some of the artists would get the chance to audition again and they were frantically trying to fill spots as the original auditions wound down. He didn't seem all that enthusiastic about Tyler originally, but picked him maybe because he thought he wouldn't get to fill that spot otherwise and because none of the other judges were turning around so he knew he'd get Tyler. I remember thinking the same thing when Adam snagged Tim. Wonder if those two would have made it past the auditions if the judges knew that there would be second chance auditions?

+ Reply to Thread