+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 85
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Blake Shelton - Coach

  1. #11
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Yikes! GLAAD is mad at him for some questionable tweets he made.

  2. #12
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,118

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Oooh, more info please, RealityLovesMe!

    pooh, pooh, that's just one bad pic up there in that banner. 6'5 and the dimples. Oh me oh my.

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Oooh, more info please, RealityLovesMe!

    pooh, pooh, that's just one bad pic up there in that banner. 6'5 and the dimples. Oh me oh my.
    I guess he said he would change the lyrics of a Shania Twain song to say something along the lines of "If a man touches my behind, I will make sure to beat him up." That is not a direct quote. I am also not certain what the original lyrics were. He got a huge backlash from it and asked GLAAD to bail him out. And GLAAD tweeted that they would not defend someone promoting violence against gays. Blake claims he was misunderstood.

  4. #14
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    365

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Original lyrics were "Any man of mine, better walk the line, better show me a teasin', squeezin', pleasin' kind of type"

    Blake wrote on his twitter "Re-writing my fav Shania Twain song.. Any man that tries Touching my behind He's gonna be a beaten, bleedin', heaving kind of guy..."

    He mentioned later he was rewriting it from Shania's point of view, but people who clearly don't get his brand of humor thought he was making an ati-gay statement. And then GLAAD, of course, jumped on it and bashed him until he realized just why people were thinking he was homophobic and worked with them to release something clarifying what he meant and speaking out against anti-gay violence. *shakes head* People are too ready to criticize everything a celebrity says or does, ridiculous really...

  5. #15
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    Original lyrics were "Any man of mine, better walk the line, better show me a teasin', squeezin', pleasin' kind of type"

    Blake wrote on his twitter "Re-writing my fav Shania Twain song.. Any man that tries Touching my behind He's gonna be a beaten, bleedin', heaving kind of guy..."

    He mentioned later he was rewriting it from Shania's point of view, but people who clearly don't get his brand of humor thought he was making an ati-gay statement. And then GLAAD, of course, jumped on it and bashed him until he realized just why people were thinking he was homophobic and worked with them to release something clarifying what he meant and speaking out against anti-gay violence. *shakes head* People are too ready to criticize everything a celebrity says or does, ridiculous really...
    The way you put it (more accurately than I did) makes it seem really bad. The violent aspect is just uncalled for. It had no relationship to the original lyrics. I have no idea what he was thinking but it certainly seemed to be condoning violence toward gays. I can't blame people for being upset with him. I can understand if he was misunderstood. You only get so many characters on twitter. Regardless of what is true (and I am not sure what is true), this was in poor taste and I hope Blake learned a lesson.

  6. #16
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    365

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Well, considering he MEANT it as a woman standing up for herself and not tolerating sexual harassment.... It's really just an example of his sense of humor. He's been doing a lot of twitter posts rewriting songs he likes in a funny way, this was the first one that was misunderstood. Like I said, people are way too quick to assume things. And you know what happens when someone assumes....

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    Like I said, people are way too quick to assume things. And you know what happens when someone assumes....
    He is the only one who looks bad in this instance. Assumption is part of communication. It came off really wrong. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's just got to take the perspectives of others before he tweets or else he runs the risk of offending others.

  8. #18
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    365

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Gotta respectfully disagree. I mean, part of it comes from being a Blake fan for so many years that I know he would never purposely say something cruel because I haven't ever heard him say something like that. Crude, yes, but never cruel.

    Like I said, there's a reason there's a saying about assuming things, because it made the people(and GLAAD) who jumped to the conclusion that he was homophobic look bad as well. He clearly didn't consider that it would ever be taken as a homophobic statement because he's never been that way. I know I would be stunned if someone jumped all over me because they assumed something I said was anti-gay since that kind of thought has never crossed my mind. Could he have maybe imagined it might have been taken the wrong way and not written it...sure. But should GLAAD have tried to contact him before bashing him in the media, bringing far more attention to a stupid tweet that it would have otherwise received, and getting egg on both their faces? Most definitely. To label someone based on one misunderstood statement is a greater wrong, in my opinion. And I'm looking back at Phillip on Survivor here...did make him look too good screaming racist now did it? Doesn't look too good for GLAAD to be screaming homophobic before trying to get the whole story.

  9. #19
    Romantic Dreamer Love_Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,843

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Think before you tweet. Celebs seem to ignore this helpful info all the time.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

  10. #20
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: Blake Shelton - Coach

    Do you know Blake personally? You claim to know his personality quite well or are you assuming? I'm kidding with you now.
    In regard to GLAAD: this is their job. Blake said something that seemed anti-gay. Their job is to fight against that. He had a lot of explaining to do because it did really look bad. He will choose his words more carefully now.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.