+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Voice on NBC

FORT Fogey

Re: The Voice on NBC

I love this show! I like all the judges, too. I'm not a fan of CA's constant use of riffing, but that aside, she is a phenomenal singer and performer and has earned her way through talent and effort to a great career.

I have no clue who Cee Lo is other than he originally performed the song that one of my favorite American Idol groups sang during group week ("forget you"...not sure if that's the right title). It's a great song; careers are built on songs like that, but I'm happy to read above that he has a long and successful career prior to that.

Blake Shelton - I don't know his music, but I like him. He's entertaining as heck. Smart too. He may do good things.

The Maroon 5 guy - Like their music but it's simple. Still, that group has been around a long time and churned out fan-favorite, catchy tunes for a long time.

This is an interesting group of judges, and it will be an interesting show. I enjoy the blind selection process a great deal! It allows for different ages and looks - which this country desperately needs. It puts Idol in perspecitve - i.e. as the bubble-gum show that it truely is.

I was never a fan of Carson D. I never thought he was all that smart. I do respect TRL, though. It was revolutionary and helped add a serious side to the music industry. He's good in his role as "host" or "commentator" or whatever it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    With the music he's doing right now, I wouldn't label him hip hop at the moment, but that's just my opinion.
    I share your opinion. And he's huuuuugely popular at the moment.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I just found out something interesting. We all know who Frenchie is but she's not the only veteran of reality shows / singer.

Tarralyn Ramsey: Won VH1's "Born to Diva" in 2004, has cut a record with Universal Records, and toured with Mary J and Ray Charles.
    Javier Colon: fronted the Derek Trucks Band and has released two records with Capital Records.

They are not the only ones but since the others have not been shown yet, I won't post about them. While the show was completely upfront about Frenchie's past why didn't they mention the pasts of Tarrlyn and Javier? Do you guys think that once this is made public knowledge that it will cause a backlash of sorts against the perceived professionals? I know the show isn't claiming to be a chance for new singers without a past but...should they be more upfront?

But more importantly, why are they even doing these shows? I'm thinking that winning a singing competition isn't exactly the path to stardom that so many think it is (the contestants think, I think we all know it's not).
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

To the Point

This show will at least give them exposure and also possible connections that they haven't been privy to until now. I really enjoyed the first show and truly look forward to watching.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Really, really liked the first show! I like how they pick the voice before they see the person. I am looking forward to more and more. I hope all of the shows aren't 2 hours long, though.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I just found out something interesting. We all know who Frenchie is but she's not the only veteran of reality shows / singer.

Tarralyn Ramsey: Won VH1's "Born to Diva" in 2004, has cut a record with Universal Records, and toured with Mary J and Ray Charles.
    Javier Colon: fronted the Derek Trucks Band and has released two records with Capital Records.

They are not the only ones but since the others have not been shown yet, I won't post about them. While the show was completely upfront about Frenchie's past why didn't they mention the pasts of Tarrlyn and Javier? Do you guys think that once this is made public knowledge that it will cause a backlash of sorts against the perceived professionals? I know the show isn't claiming to be a chance for new singers without a past but...should they be more upfront?

But more importantly, why are they even doing these shows? I'm thinking that winning a singing competition isn't exactly the path to stardom that so many think it is (the contestants think, I think we all know it's not).
    I don't know is they would have mentioned Frenchie's background if they could have avoided it. Cee-Lo recognized her so there is only so much they can hide.

The information is readily available on the website, I'm just not sure they are handling it right and it may come back to bite some talented singers in the rear end. Full disclosure is mandatory when dealing with a fickle voting audience looking for grassy knolls at every turn.

Reposting this part of my post here since it probably should be here but I put it in the other thread and now I am confusing myself!

OK some more interesting tidbits for us Rockstar fans. The house band? Mostly the house band from Rockstar! We've got Paul, Nate, and Sasha. But unfortunately no Rafa or Jim. But it's going to be great musical times having them as the house band. How could I have forgotten that Mark Burnett was also the man behind Rockstar? Hmm.....which brings up the Lukas thing....interesting.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Maroon 5 - is one of those bands that everybody swears they don't know TILL they are told some of their songs and then it's like "Oh! Them! I know them, they are good." Songs about Jane 2002 - a little song called "She will be loved" that only became so massive that they've played it to death everywhere. "This Love" is another one off that album. Their next album had "If I Never See Your Face Again". They've had other songs too but for some reason they just aren't remembered as having big hits.
    I can kind of relate to that, ha ha. I used to work in a retail store, and they would play SWBL all the time on the PA system. I finally asked a co-worker what that song was, and he told me and said that it was Maroon 5 and they were this famous group. Well, duh.

When Carson showed up? My husband said "He looks familiar" and I said "That's Carson, they roll him out every few years just to remind us all that he's not dead yet."

At first I was totally bored by him, since I'm used to reality tv hosts with more personality. Then I thought about it, and realized he was actually kind of refreshing after, say, all the phony antics of Ryan Seacrest. I thought it was sweet when he told that girl who sang in bars, "Hey, I've bartended in those places!"

Didn't we discuss this earlier in the thread? I remember somebody mentioning Tarralyn.

They are not the only ones but since the others have not been shown yet, I won't post about them.
    Please keep posting as these people come up. AI is the only musical reality show I've watched prior to this, so I have no idea who these people are.

While the show was completely upfront about Frenchie's past why didn't they mention the pasts of Tarrlyn and Javier? Do you guys think that once this is made public knowledge that it will cause a backlash of sorts against the perceived professionals? I know the show isn't claiming to be a chance for new singers without a past but...should they be more upfront?
    Not necessarily. A couple of seasons ago AI had a rash of previously contracted contestants, and there was a minor kerfluffle on the internet, but nothing more. A couple of those contestants made it into the Top 12.

The same reason the above-mentioned AI contestants did. Their careers fizzled and they're trying to restart them.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fan

I have thought quite a bit about this and my best answer is that the producers are using these professional contestants to hook viewers and then, in subsequent seasons, search for unknowns to fill the bill.

My gut tells me that viewership will wane once the audience realizes that their votes are meaningless to offering a chance to an unsuspecting hopeful.

Looks like the coaches are going to get some heavy-duty help:

NBC is upping the star power on "The Voice" by adding singers Reba McEntire, Monica and Sia and music producer Adam Blackstone as new advisers.

They join Christina Aguilera, Cee-Lo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton. Aguilera will team up with Sia, Levine with Maroon 5 music director Blackstone, Green with Monica, and Shelton with McEntire, who goes by just Reba these days.

The coaches will eventually pit two of the artists on each of their teams against each other in a series of dueling duets. Each of the coaches chooses advisers to help at the next Battles stage, lasting four episodes, NBC said.
    Reba, Monica, Sia joining 'The Voice' - MSN TV News
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread