+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Voice on NBC

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: The Voice on NBC

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I like that Mark Burnett said they would not be having the (supposed) comic element of showing people who cannot sing. Yay! No trying to embarrass people for cheap laughs!
    I grew tired of that aspect of the AI auditions a long time ago. I never really understood what was so entertaining about people (some of them purposely) coming to audition on national TV with 20+ million viewers watching, and totally bomb their auditions. I hated seeing the judges laugh at them, and cross the line in making jabs at their looks. What made it worse was the producers declaring they didn't put people through who were horrible and solely looking to get on TV I'd rather see people with talent and potential, even if they don't make it through to the next round.

I could do without Carson as a host, but I guess NBC wants one of their own. He might surprise me.

I think I saw Frenchie Davis (idol Season 2) during the preview. Looks like her twitter page confirms it.
    I remember Frenchie from her AI days and really liked her at the time. Hopefully she has much success going this route. It wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of AI and X Factor rejects, not to mention the million other singing and talent shows that have come and gone.

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
    I think I saw Frenchie Davis (idol Season 2) during the preview. Looks like her twitter page confirms it.
    Wasn't she the one who was removed because she posed in her underwear for an ad or something? If so, I'm glad she's getting a second chance because IMHO something done for an ad (I think it was her age that caused the problem, but still she was clothed, not nude), shouldn't have affected her in the competition. Believe me, not all the winners of "AI" have had that squeaky clean image.

She has a great voice, and I wish her the best in this competition. From the preview they did last night before the "Leno" show it shows that they're really going to show the best they can in this.

While I'm glad Burnett said there'd be no string of bad singers, from the comment of "If no one turns their chair around the person is eliminated" you know there are going to be some who do not quite make the cut and we'll have eliminated contestants. As long as there's no William Hung's there, I'll be happy (though I actually thought he was OK - if he'd sung in his native language).

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I do not really care for AGT, at all. I watched it that first season, and haven't really been back. I hate their camera work, and the complete range of ages. Little kids vs. adults.....Gimme a break! I prefer a more level playing field.That's enough to make me check OUT!
    I don't care for it, but for another reason - I'm getting irritated with the notion on that show that talent is only singers. The one non-singing act that's won - the ventriloquist guy - actually was reamed as being less talented than the singer. I juggle, and have won many awards for it (and even performed at theme parks) and we had an audition in Houston. That said, I chose not to attempt to compete because I knew they'd not let a simple juggler outplay a singer. Then again, they razz jugglers anyway.

That's why I hope the Voice wins people over - maybe more singers would go there so we can have a truer range of talent in "AGT."

(BTW, I have nothing against singers, and loved Prince Poppycock and the young opera singer. It's just that talent ranges so wide and far that I wish that "AGT" would focus on it instead of ending up being more of another singing contest).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Wasn't she the one who was removed because she posed in her underwear for an ad or something? If so, I'm glad she's getting a second chance because IMHO something done for an ad (I think it was her age that caused the problem, but still she was clothed, not nude), shouldn't have affected her in the competition. Believe me, not all the winners of "AI" have had that squeaky clean image.

She has a great voice, and I wish her the best in this competition. From the preview they did last night before the "Leno" show it shows that they're really going to show the best they can in this.

While I'm glad Burnett said there'd be no string of bad singers, from the comment of "If no one turns their chair around the person is eliminated" you know there are going to be some who do not quite make the cut and we'll have eliminated contestants. As long as there's no William Hung's there, I'll be happy (though I actually thought he was OK - if he'd sung in his native language).
    You are correct on Frenchie Davis, I guess you can say she was the first AI scandal.

Unlike American Idol who really goes for the total unknown it looks like this show is focusing on people who have had some success but hasn't broken out as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of AI and X Factor rejects, not to mention the million other singing and talent shows that have come and gone.
    Another example is Tarralyn Ramsey who won VH1's “Born To Diva” in 2004 but hasn't done much since as a gospel artist (moderate success but a definite following). She sang Faith Hill's Breathe during her audition & did great.

http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/video/s...art-3/1321660/

The question is will it be interesting watching the show if we don't see the type of growth we see from AI contestants "most seasons", even if they are more talented to begin with. Hopefully the judges/mentors take their proteges to another level.
    Last edited by VoiceOfReason; 04-22-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I grew tired of that aspect of the AI auditions a long time ago. I never really understood what was so entertaining about people (some of them purposely) coming to audition on national TV with 20+ million viewers watching, and totally bomb their auditions. I hated seeing the judges laugh at them, and cross the line in making jabs at their looks. What made it worse was the producers declaring they didn't put people through who were horrible and solely looking to get on TV I'd rather see people with talent and potential, even if they don't make it through to the next round.
    That was total nonsense from the producers. Of course, they put those people through, for the ratings. I remember a few seasons back somebody wrote about their audition experience for a magazine. The lady said there were lots of people there with outlandish costumes that you knew just wanted the attention. She also said that whenever one of these people got a golden ticket in the initial audition to go before the celebrity judges, the rest of the contestants would boo. I am SO glad AI cut it out this season, and kudos to Burnett for doing the same.

I could do without Carson as a host, but I guess NBC wants one of their own. He might surprise me.

I feel so ignorant. That name keeps bugging me, but I can't picture him. What is he famous for?

I remember Frenchie from her AI days and really liked her at the time. Hopefully she has much success going this route.
    I saw her interviewed a couple of years ago on TV. She was so gracious towards the show. She refused to comment on the scandal when the host pointed out the obvious--that she had had the bad luck to audition in an early season when AI still needed the ratings. As Jade pointed out, there have been other scandals in later seasons with no repercussions for the contestants. Anyway, Frenchie was so sweet it nearly made me cry. What a positive example. I really hope she does well on this new show.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of AI and X Factor rejects, not to mention the million other singing and talent shows that have come and gone.

I'm glad I've got you guys to clue me in, otherwise I wouldn't know who these people were!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I don't care for it, but for another reason - I'm getting irritated with the notion on that show that talent is only singers. The one non-singing act that's won - the ventriloquist guy - actually was reamed as being less talented than the singer. I juggle, and have won many awards for it (and even performed at theme parks) and we had an audition in Houston. That said, I chose not to attempt to compete because I knew they'd not let a simple juggler outplay a singer. Then again, they razz jugglers anyway.
    I think I watched the second season of that show and then gave it up. It was the one where the guy sang "Nessun Dorma." I have nothing against the guy; he seemed sweet. However, that is such a cliched song now, especially when song by somebody with a sad backstory. I was so ticked off, because I knew he would win over one of the other acts, which I thought deserved it more. When I was proved right, I said good-bye.

It seems that rejected singers float from show to show. Thia Meguia from AI had previously been on AGT, so now she'll probably show up on The Voice or The X-Factor!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
    You are correct on Frenchie Davis, I guess you can say she was the first AI scandal.

Unlike American Idol who really goes for the total unknown it looks like this show is focusing on people who have had some success but hasn't broken out as of yet.

Another example is Tarralyn Ramsey who won VH1's “Born To Diva” in 2004 but hasn't done much since as a gospel artist (moderate success but a definite following). She sang Faith Hill's Breathe during her audition & did great.

The Voice - Sneak Peek, Part 3 - Video - NBC.com

The question is will it be interesting watching the show if we don't see the type of growth we see from AI contestants "most seasons", even if they are more talented to begin with. Hopefully the judges/mentors take their proteges to another level.
    Thanks. Loved that clip as well. I'm a softie, so I will probably cry when some people don't get picked, but I hope they do it factually but kindly.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Babbred, If it helps, Carson Daly looks like the human version of cartoon character Jimmy Neutron.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I feel so ignorant. That name keeps bugging me, but I can't picture him. What is he famous for?
    Carson used to host Total Request Live on MTV (I believe that's where he got his start) and now has his own late night show on NBC. I remember when the whole Conan/Jay debate was going on and whether Jimmy Fallon would get bumped from his new time slot (Conan's old one), some comedians were saying Carson was such a non entity no one cared about his show He's done various hosting gigs throughout the years and I believe hosts the New Year's Eve special on NBC.

Frenchie did have the misfortune of being on the second season of Idol, when keeping a squeaky clean image was key. I remember the uproar a few seasons later when it was revealed another contestant had posed almost nude and she was kept on the show (it didn't help matters this girl was white, tall, and model thin). Of course race and appearance issues got thrown into the mix, but I don't think it was any of that. I thought Frenchie was very talented when she did the show and likely would have done well had she stayed on it. I hope she has success this time.

RE: AGT: I do watch, but it's not my favorite show. If it weren't on in the summer there'd probably be something else on I'd find more worth while. I agree I wish they didn't focus so much on singers and put the other acts through just as filler. I'd also like to see people on there that actually have a realistic chance of winning and that can be seen as a Vegas act. However, the producers probably figure that more viewers will identify and support a singer rather than a novelty act. It should say something that the only act to ever have huge success was a non-singer. I also recall the producers of AI getting called out, when they made the claim they didn't put people through for ratings, that people had gone through that were obviously way over the age limit. I'm all for watching a show that has no drama, no gimmicks, no obvious ratings stunts, and focuses on the talent and the kids. I could care less about the drama between the judges and the host, which was yet another reason I grew tired of AI.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Babbred, If it helps, Carson Daly looks like the human version of cartoon character Jimmy Neutron.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

+ Reply to Thread