+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 9/30-10/1 The Voice 5: Auditions **West Coast Spoilers**

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: 9/30-10/1 The Voice 5: Auditions **West Coast Spoilers**

I loved those two as well.

What do Midas Whale count as anyway? Their audition was one of my favorite auditions in history.

And maybe I need to specify that most of them are white older women. Not implying anything... but maybe I am.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Not much to get excited for last night. In fact most of the show was a snoozefest for me. Until...wait for it, the country singer. Haha. He was good and I finally woke up only to see the girl who closed out the show, liked her too.

Once again, Christina has to make it all about herself and next week--UGH! She will even get up and sing with an auditioner? KMN.

People will vote using any criteria they see fit. Whether it's because the contestant is from their home state, wears the same clothes, has a good sob story etc. While the producers say it is good television (the back story) it hasn't been working out that well for Idol now has it? One thing I do complain about is not being able to get attached/invested in the contestants because we don't see them perform as much as Idol because of the format. But it can be done and done well, especially with the confessionals. That is where we get to know the contestants and learn about their personalities. I much prefer that method than having a contestants backstory being jammed down my throat week after week.

I am a country music fan but that doesn't mean I automatically like all country performers. I didn't like Grace Askew, Cory Muessigman or Holly Tucker for that matter. Didn't like EG Daly or that country girl from last night. She reminded me of BB15's Aaryn a little too much, but her voice wasn't all that spectacular.

Country music fans are drawn from pretty large groups of people in all kinds of demographics. Every singer/performer will have their fans and their detractors. People like Marty Brown and Kevin Skinner also come from small towns where the whole town/county will vote for them and vote as often. Spread the word and rally all your friends type of thing. There is nothing one can do to stop this or change this and this will happen on every talent/singing show until they end. The best one can do is vote for the ones you like and not worry about who others are voting for and why.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

JunkieGirl: Country music fans are drawn from pretty large groups of people in all kinds of demographics. Every singer/performer will have their fans and their detractors. People like Marty Brown and Kevin Skinner also come from small towns where the whole town/county will vote for them and vote as often. Spread the word and rally all your friends type of thing. There is nothing one can do to stop this or change this and this will happen on every talent/singing show until they end. The best one can do is vote for the ones you like and not worry about who others are voting for and why.
    Well said. Voting blocks can be made up for any reason. Adam lost to Chris because Chris had a WHOLE STATE voting for him. There was even a question of phone call integrity.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

And it doesn't mean they are right.

Maybe there isn't even such a thing as a "correct winner".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    And it doesn't mean they are right.

Maybe there isn't even such a thing as a "correct winner".
    There never is. They are POPULAR winners; not because they may or may not be the best of the lot, but because the voters like them for whatever reason.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I still do thing, however, that most of the reasons seem to be ignorant. For reasons I already explained. We need more varied winners. Different genres, ages, genders, races, nationalities, locations, etc. That's open minded.

This is a show thread, not a debate of voter intelligence thread. Let me finish off by writing that the majority, if not all, the viewers of contest shows watch for the entertainment and not because the contestants are the best at what they do. Viewers (here I'm being extremely presumptuous) like to identify with the contestants whether it is with googly eyes or disdain knowing they could do better than the contestant. You can't cram viewers into categories as easily as singers who wear boots and cowboy hats must sing country...unless they don't.

Okay. You get one rebuttal and then this thread goes back to show(s) discussion.
    NCLurker and sunshine3331 like this.

Who is John Galt?

So far, I think the first night of the Blind Auditions had the best singers and the talent has dropped since that night. And, I still think Tisanne Chin is the best so far IMO. I do not agree that the group of singers chosen to perform should be more varied and that most come from a group of "older white women". It is about picking the most popular singer from a group of people who can sing and "sing very well". The "most popular" factor in the judging can often conflict with the person who is actually the "most talented". This can also be seen on SYTYCD and bothers me on both shows (more so on SYTYCD because I was a dancer, but can't even sing Happy Birthday on key).

If we're talking about voting for people we "identify" with, then let me say I'm not from Jamaica, female, or multiracial, yet Tessanne is one of my favorites as well.

If the south has the majority of voters then of course country always wins.

Thus endeth the debate.

We now return to our regularly scheduled show comments.

Thank you.
    sunshine3331 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast