+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 6/10-6/11 Semi Finals (Live Top 5) **Spoilers**

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Re: 6/10-6/11 Semi Finals (Live Top 5) **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I agree with what you are saying and imo as much as I love Adam Levine I felt he should have stuck with country for Amber. I thought she came in knowing she was a country artist, but Adam wanted to show that she could sing anything. That may be okay for a more established artist, but hard when you are on a show like this trying to get that loyal fan base you mentioned behind you as an artist.

Using Cassadee Pope as an example she came in wanting to sing Pop, yet when Blake had her do country that is when the fans seemed to respond the most to her. She ended up deciding to go country. Since she just released one single so far and her album is due in the fall I guess we will have to see how she ends up doing. She will be touring with Rascal Flatts and everyone has to start somewhere.

I remember years ago seeing Garth Brooks in concert and his opening act was Martina McBride. If anyone is familiar with country music they know how well Martina McBride ended up doing. When she was touring with Garth she was an unknown. I don't know how well Cassadee Pope will end up doing, but opening for Rascal Flatts is a great opportunity. The rest is up to her and how the fans take to her.
    Even perhaps more little known fact. The only reason Martina got the gig with Garth is she started out selling tshirts for him on tour and he heard she was a singer. She literally started at the bottom.

And I'm going to say my peace on the whole Dolly/Whitney thing. Dolly has said many times he doesn't mind the credit going to Whitney because of the mega world chart success Whitney had with it. She also said she didn't mind cause it made her a whole lot of money. Before Houston died she told CNN she didn't mind because it allowed her to buy a lot of cheap wigs. Interestingly enough Elvis wanted to record it but Dolly nixed that because Col Parker wanted to keep half the publishing rights. Dolly said no way so it never happened. She believes Elvis not recording it helped pave the way for Whitney to make it the song it became. And one final note when Kevin pitched the song for the movie, he used Linda Ronstadt's version not Dolly's. He had never heard Dolly's version. So there are a great many people who don't associate the song with Dolly............and Dolly doesn't care cause she's a smart business woman who's rolling in publishing dollars! Thaat'll buy a lot of roller coasters for her theme park. Just sayin!
    Punkin and Shoepie like this.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    Even perhaps more little known fact. The only reason Martina got the gig with Garth is she started out selling tshirts for him on tour and he heard she was a singer. She literally started at the bottom.

And I'm going to say my peace on the whole Dolly/Whitney thing. Dolly has said many times he doesn't mind the credit going to Whitney because of the mega world chart success Whitney had with it. She also said she didn't mind cause it made her a whole lot of money. Before Houston died she told CNN she didn't mind because it allowed her to buy a lot of cheap wigs. Interestingly enough Elvis wanted to record it but Dolly nixed that because Col Parker wanted to keep half the publishing rights. Dolly said no way so it never happened. She believes Elvis not recording it helped pave the way for Whitney to make it the song it became. And one final note when Kevin pitched the song for the movie, he used Linda Ronstadt's version not Dolly's. He had never heard Dolly's version. So there are a great many people who don't associate the song with Dolly............and Dolly doesn't care cause she's a smart business woman who's rolling in publishing dollars! Thaat'll buy a lot of roller coasters for her theme park. Just sayin!
    What great information! thank you
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh yes. I saw Garth when Martina opened for him. She turned out to be one of the greatest country singers of all time, IMO.

I think it was Adam's idea that Amber do Firework. Just plain silly, IMO. His idea of doing Sad was pretty good, but it may not be enough. Amber needed to do a country song that she hit out of the ballpark, like Independence Day. Oh well. I don't see Adam supporting her when she show is over. I'm not sure where he's been that country music is so foreign to him. It's been very popular for at least 12 years. lol
    Ummm Adam's a Jewish guy who grew up in LA. Doesn't exactly meet the country music target demographic. I honestly think Adam wanted this girl to say he stole a country artist from Blake. I don't think he ever thought she'd be his last one standing. It was pure ego. Then he didn't really know what to do with her. But she wouldn't have fared any better on Team Blake. Danielle is the winner on that team whether she finishes first next week or not. And she was the golden girl for Blake this year. I think Amber just picked the wrong season to audition.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Actually, I do know why.

Because it's so overdone and it's one of the first songs that would come to mind when you think karaoke.
    OMG! That jut made me think of Lauren Graham doing karaoke to that song on Gilmore Girls! Too funny! And hers was better than a lot of the ones you get on any random Karaoke Thursday!
    short_lived likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    The Swons had a game-changing performance last night. Plus, they remain the only males. They have the momentum...let's see if they can keep it up next week. Should be interesting.
    IMO Blake has them going too traditional. When they did the Poison song last night, I felt like the Brett Michaels/Kid Rock Southern Rock style better suits them than the hickish traditional country. I totally see them going that direction not the Merle Haggard route. IMO Blake is doing them as big a disservice as Adam did to Amber because he didn't have them singing their right kind of songs for them.

And if the tweens still want their WGWG reality champ this year, the Swons are the winner.
    Duckyface likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    So Team Blake will win again, won't it? Ugh.
    I think maybe the country vote will be split between the Swons and Danielle and Michelle will come out the winner. I actually like everyone who's left so I don't really care who wins.

I am a little disappointed in Michelle. I wanted her to be more than she ended up being. Sure she looks different than your typical pop artist, but she didn't really bring anything different to the songs. They were just covers with a little squatting here and there. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy her and she seems really nice. I was just disappointed. I wanted more artist from her, like Nicholas last year. He wasn't just different looking, he put his own artistic spin on things and his voice is really unique .She started out so fun, but she really never brought anything more than she began with.

Since I started the whole business with Dolly, I'll chime in here and say that my objection isn't based on whether or not Dolly is happy to be making money from the song or not (which who wouldn't be?). It has more to do with everyone singing the Whitney belt it out version instead of the more nuanced Dolly version. I understand that not everyone knows she even sang it (let alone wrote it) - or maybe who she even is - but for my personal listening enjoyment, I have never nor will I ever like the Whitney or Whitney wannabe versions of that song.
    Punkin and Jaceegirl like this.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

IMO Blake has them going too traditional. When they did the Poison song last night, I felt like the Brett Michaels/Kid Rock Southern Rock style better suits them than the hickish traditional country. I totally see them going that direction not the Merle Haggard route. IMO Blake is doing them as big a disservice as Adam did to Amber because he didn't have them singing their right kind of songs for them.

And if the tweens still want their WGWG reality champ this year, the Swons are the winner.
    It seems as though Blake is on a mission this season to bring back traditional country music, although I wouldn't call it "hickish."

As for the WGWG theory, if there was any merit to it, wouldn't Casey James have won his season on Idol? He was never without his guitar, and he certainly was cuter and better singer than who ultimately won.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    I think Blake will take care of Amber. He liked her from day 1. She will def get get signed on in Nashville.
    Why would he take care of her? I doubt he liked her from Day 1. Blake didn't turn his chair around for her, only Adam did. I don't think she is as strong a singer as the others do. I think she might make it, but not because of Blake or Adam.

I hope that Adam saw the mistakes he made with Amber and he learns from it, however, I doubt that any country artist would ever pick him now, unless they have no choice. Still, Amber did make it to the semi-finals with Adam. That's not too shabby. I do think that Adam's profession of ignorance on country music is inexcusable. He could have gotten help from someone in the business. And where has he been? Country music is huge. He and Usher need to get out more. lol

I'm happy with the final three. They are all great! Still, I think I'll root a little more for Danielle just because I think she is the most special. Michelle is unique, however, the last couple of weeks, I just didn't get into her performances. I'm not sure what happened. I think she took a step back and the other contestants have improved. I don't think the Swon Brother are especially talented, but they do entertain me. Besides, you don't have to have great vocals to be a super hit. Look at the Georgia Florida Line. That duet really lacks on the vocals, but they have huge hits.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Oh, I hear that Georgia Florida Line and Nelly are supposed to perform on the finale.
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-12-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Misty8723 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread