+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: 3/25 and 3/26 The Voice 4 premiere **west coast spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/25 and 3/26 The Voice 4 premiere **west coast spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I understand the definition to include someone who has an unfair advantage over other contestants. Having professional experience and accolades when competing against a 15/16 year old girl singing in public for the first time doesn't seem like a fair fight to me.
    I did not find that to be true when researching the meaning of ringer. Posters use the word to describe someone being better because of past experience all the time but that doesn't make it correct. DWTS is an expample. Some cry foul when someone has dancing in their past. Well, many entertainers do. And they cannot be choosey because I doubt "stars" are beating a path to their door, begging to be chosen!

This isn't about fair. It is a shot to become seen and possibily signed by someone watching. Only one can win, yet their are advantages to just being seen and heard on TV.

Fair is when you have one child split the piece of cake and the other choose which half they want.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 03-27-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    sunshine3331 likes this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I watched the first episode and I had a hard time being impressed by the first few advancements. I think the LMFAO guy was the first one I liked.

I love Usher and Shakira.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I watched the first episode and I had a hard time being impressed by the first few advancements. I think the LMFAO guy was the first one I liked.

I love Usher and Shakira.
    Yes. Luckily the format weeds the teams of those who jumped the gun on turning around. What was I thinking probably has crossed all of their minds.
    NCLurker likes this.

It's true, The Voice has never produced a Kelly Clarkson, or Carrie Underwood, or Daughtry, or _________, etc., etc.
    But, I love, Love, LOVE this show so much more!!!

I adore the comical banter between the judges (and, yes, I even liked Xtina and CeeLo). They keep it fun and friendly -- not to mention hilarious!
    Yes, Nicholas was my favorite last year, but I still I adore that dorky dudes from Idaho that include an accordian player and a pen salesman, and call themselves Midas Whale , get all four judges fighting over them.

THIS is the FUN show to watch!
    Impossible things are being done every day.

I love this show too but I'm still pissed Cassadee won.
    canadian_angel and AlwaysVeg like this.

Midas Whale are my favorites so far.
    spockwhat likes this.

I feel you, JohnnyK... my favorites almost never win the reality shows. But if you think about it, that's only a few minutes out of the whole experience. I can't even picture Cassadee in my mind, but I sure remember St. Nicholas and your Scottish boy (ok, I'm not remembering his name at the moment, but that's just my age showing )
    I love the format of this show with the dueling judges and the chance to snag another judge's contestant when they toss them aside in the battle rounds.
    Count your blessings!

Emperor Terricus. He was robbed more than anybody has ever been robbed in the history of humanity.

I hope he comes back.
    Shoepie likes this.

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I don't think the term ringer applies to this show. They openly invite anyone to try out, no matter how much professional experience they have had. Many have careers but get stalled at a point just short of public recognition.

ring•er 2 (r ng r)
    n.
    1. One that rings, especially one that sounds a bell or chime.
    2. Slang A contestant entered dishonestly into a competition.
    3. Slang One who bears a striking resemblance to another:
    4. Any type of contestant in a game who is entered in order to cheat. For example, a professional bowler who plays in an amateur bowling match.
    Yeah, I threw out the word "ringer" far too easily and regret it. I read it a couple of times in the thread and picked it up in my own post.

Let me backtrack, I understand that "fair" has nothing to do with it, and I get that anyone can have a chance here. That said, I feel sorry for all the newbies coming in having to hear their own coaches talking about how someone who has had professional experience (like working with Michael Jackson!) is the best and is going to win. It must make them feel like crap, like they don't have a shot before the show has barely started. That's an unfortunate aspect of the show to me, but it IS the show.

It's good to admit you were wrong once in a while.

ETA: Oh, and I also love this show, at least the first few episodes. I love the blind auditions especially, though my viewership of the show tends to drop off at the battle rounds, usually because I get irritated with coaches pairing their strongest against each other. I often lose my favourites at that point.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 03-28-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Yeah, I threw out the word "ringer" far too easily and regret it. I read it a couple of times in the thread and picked it up in my own post.

Let me backtrack, I understand that "fair" has nothing to do with it, and I get that anyone can have a chance here. That said, I feel sorry for all the newbies coming in having to hear their own coaches talking about how someone who has had professional experience (like working with Michael Jackson!) is the best and is going to win. It must make them feel like crap, like they don't have a shot before the show has barely started. That's an unfortunate aspect of the show to me, but it IS the show.

It's good to admit you were wrong once in a while.

ETA: Oh, and I also love this show, at least the first few episodes. I love the blind auditions especially, though my viewership of the show tends to drop off at the battle rounds, usually because I get irritated with coaches pairing their strongest against each other. I often lose my favourites at that point.

I have the same viewing pattern. The blind auditions are my favorite and I tend to watch more closely again when they are competing to win with viewer voting.

It is not unusual for someone to become more successful than #1. We have seen that with AI many times. The goal is to last as long as you can to get exposure. I can see the 15 year old getting signed. Beiber has paved the way for young singers to leap into main stream.

+ Reply to Thread