+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Live Show 6/7- **SPOILERS**

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: Live Show 6/7- **SPOILERS**

I liked last night MUCH better than the battle rounds. Very few of the battle rounds had songs that worked for one or both contestants. I'd rather see a competition in which each person gets to sing a song that suits them, and they can be judged individually.

Had to relisten to Kris Allen's "Heartless" performance, which I found on youtube. Dia's was pretty similar, and I really do like what she did. To me, she was the first person last night who was better than good or OK. She stood out. But Kris' version was a bit better, IMO. It was a little more lively. But they're still really close. So Dia's version is not as original as a lot of people seem to think.

FORT Fogey

Just some random thoughts about this quirky lil' show:
    • I've been going up and down with it...I really liked the part before the battles, but I didn't care for the boxing-like staging of the battle rounds. I really enjoyed last night's show.
    • As much as the show claims it's selections aren't about looks, it is. Producers scoured the country for who we see. They wouldn't have put through people whose looks wouldn't work. Still, the fact that the judges make their selections blindly is very cool. I read an interview with the girlfriend/boyfriend duo in which they said the judges really do spend time with the singers. It isn't just lip service. I think that is evident. ALL the judges seem to really care for their team members and they are doing due diligence to help them. That - more than the blind selection stuff - is what is key to the show. They aren't judges, the are coaches. They have alot riding on the success of their chosen performers.
    • I was worried about Blake's team but as the show went on, I was a fan. I like the two dark haired girls and the country guy. From Christina's team, I adore Bev and Frenchie (although less than Bev).
    • The other nice thing about this show is that it isn't all about power singers. Diversity is both showcased and rewarded. I like that a lot.

And, comments about the judges:
    I like all of them!
    • Reg. Christina...I like a song or two of hers, but beyond that, I never really followed her. However, I have been really, REALLY impressed by her on this show. She talks straight and honest and throws convention to the wind. She's truely her own person, and I respect that a great deal. It is clear she cares about her team members (as do all the judges, I think).
    • And, I don't think she is fat one bit..... her legs looked great on stage last night! She is big-chested and that can give off the wrong look, I think.
    • I am a huge CeLo fan from Gnarls Barkley days. I think he knows what it takes to make a hit better than the others. And, he seems to really care.
    • I would never buy a Blake Shelton album, but the man is gorgeous to me! And funny! I developed a crush when he did the choir show several years ago (awesome program which I wish they'd bring back). Love just watching him.
    • Adam Levine is just "meh" to me. Although I adore his humility. That goes a long way for me. He balances out some of the other personalities. It's a good mix.
    • Adam and CeLo didn't look one bit nervous last night. I wonder if they have some stellar performances coming up???

FORT Regular

The show was quite entertaining. I thought that Lily was the worse of the batch. I didn't think she belongs there in the first place and she's proven that last night. My favorites last night was Dia ( love, love her voice and she really lost herself in that song with the piano), Xenia was sweet and has great tone which I love but she lacks confidence. And Beverly was cute in the kilt and boots. Adorable. The coaches' group singing was kinda "meh" except for Adam's guitar playing. And Christina annoyed me a little last night- her comments to Patrick and Sheldon/Adam were really not necessary. And seriously, her boobs were too distracting. LOL But I have to give her proprs for showing care and true commitment to her team.

Quote Originally Posted by taracran View Post
    In my opinion she looked bad because her shorts were to short and tight, her hair looked liked a bad 80's hairdo, and her makeup could have given Tammy Faye Baker a run for her money! Plus she had a bad attitude all night
    Did somebody say that was a dress? Holy mackerel, I thought it was a pair of shorts.

About the judges. I think the problem is the same one that bedeviled AI. Since these are big celebrities, they're afraid to alienate their own fan base by criticizing a popular contestant. That's why I'm counting the days until Simon comes back. He's like the Rhett Butler of reality tv. On a side note, on the British version of The X-Factor (at least when I lived there a few years ago), they didn't have singer judges. They had a music producer, Simon, and Sharon Osborne, who was Ozzie's manager. Since none of them had to worry about a singing career, they freely criticized each other's contestants. I really hope the American version will be that way, because I feel like I'm drowning in the glurge between The Voice and AI.

I also got really irritated with the whole emphasis on social media. I was visiting my sister this week, and so while we watched the show, I turned to her and said, "You know, I would really be irritated at having to do this stupid Twitter thing when I really wanted to be focusing on getting ready for my performance." My sister replied that maybe they were glad for the distraction, but I don't know. I'm a Type A person who would rather be psyching myself up for beating my competition.

Ok, on to this week's show.

Team Xtina

Raquel--didn't feel the love. Felt like she was going through the motions. Maybe that's because of her young age, which was a real problem for AI this season.

Beverly--loved it! Loved the funky outfit, loved the performance. She's one of my favs.

LilyElise--can't remember her performance.

Frenchie--loved it! My fav of the night, along with Dia.

Team Blake

Jared--great. Another one of my fav contestants.

Dia--awesome. Only one I would download. Somebody here compared her to Audrey Hepburn. That's what I thought, too.
    Somebody also mentioned Chris's version from AI. I can't remember any of Chris's songs.

Xenia--forgettable. And I'm glad somebody mentioned the lack of volume. I thought it was just my sister's tv. I did like her dress, though, along with Dia's.

Patrick--bland, just like Scotty from AI. Unlike Scotty, though, I don't think Patrick will go far. At least, I hope not.

Loved the videos of the contestants hobnobbing with the stars. Also loved the group sings. That must have been so cool for the contestants. Overall, despite my irritations, I still love this show much better than AI. I can't wait for next week.

Just remembered. Somebody said something about the contestants making bad song choices. On this show, don't the coaches pick the songs for them? I thought that was part of the whole mentoring deal.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    :About the judges. I think the problem is the same one that bedeviled AI. Since these are big celebrities, they're afraid to alienate their own fan base by criticizing a popular contestant.
    I think the greater problem lies more in the basic concept of this show, which is that this is a competition not only among the candidates, but among the coaches as well. The format really ties their hands as to what kind of feedback they can give another coach's team member.

If any coach criticizes someone from another team, it could be seen as an effort to undermine that person's chances of beating their own team member. And a coach won't provide constructive criticism of their own team members because it could then put them at a disadvantage. This really leaves no opportunity at all for any constructive criticism during the live shows, so I highly doubt we will be hearing any of it. Any criticism or advice will be given before or after performances when it can't impact voting.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

It doesn't have to be that way. On The British version of The X-Factor, they used to have Simon, Sharon Osborne, and a music producer as the judge/mentors. They had no problem criticizing each other's contestants since they made it clear that they wanted to win. The audience (live and TV) seemed to think it was no big deal. It certainly didn't affect the popularity of certain contestants since, just like every TV show, the audience quickly marked out their favorites. That's why I subscribe more to the "celebrity judge" theory.

It actually doesn't matter to me what the coaches say for this show. As long as a coach is really helping his team behind-the-scenes, then that's good enough for me.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I liked Dia the most of them all. She has that something special I think.

It doesn't have to be that way. On The British version of The X-Factor, they used to have Simon, Sharon Osborne, and a music producer as the judge/mentors. They had no problem criticizing each other's contestants since they made it clear that they wanted to win. The audience (live and TV) seemed to think it was no big deal. It certainly didn't affect the popularity of certain contestants since, just like every TV show, the audience quickly marked out their favorites. That's why I subscribe more to the "celebrity judge" theory.

It actually doesn't matter to me what the coaches say for this show. As long as a coach is really helping his team behind-the-scenes, then that's good enough for me.
    I'd really rather not see the judges battling each other on live tv. But I agree that I don't honestly know why they have to ask the coaches opinions of every performance. Why not just let us decide who we like and don't like. The coaches yakking just adds to the length of the show, and there's way too much talking (and twittering) and not enough singing. Maybe let the coach of the person singing talk, and the others can just sit there quietly and watch. Especially XTina, she's getting on my nerves with her constant harassment of Blake and Adam.

I liked Team Blake, but I was disappointed in the rocker guy (Jared?) I really liked him up until this show, I just don't think that was a good choice of song for him. And I wish he'd lose the rag around his head, he looks a lot better without it. The country guy was good, but he could have picked a better song as well, one that's not just generally boring. I like the two girls on Blake's team because of the uniquiness of their voices and thought they were both good.

The only one on Xtina's team I liked was Beverly. I definitely hated all the "performance" stuff. That's one thing that has turned me off to the current music scene, it's all about the circus on the stage and not enough about the singing and the song. I'm not that sold on Frenchie either. She definitely has the talent, but not a style I particularly like.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Christina is making me not like her. How can she constantly smart mouth the guys, be rude to them, tell contestants that they "need to take their pants off" and think it won't start to turn the voters against her? First off, she has one of the weaker teams. Secondly, her attitude and the way she is acting isn't going to win them any votes. Really, there is being a Diva and then there is being a b**ch. She's starting to cross the line.

Beverly is the only one on her team who might stand a chance against the others. The rest are just up there screaming because the Queen of Screaming told them to do it. Although I must give her credit for telling Frenchie to can the vocal aerobics and just sing the note straight. Man, I didn't realize how much Christina ticked me off till I started "talking" about it, lol.

Blake's team beat them, hands down. The two girls killed it, although they are almost interchangeable and I think that will come back to bite them in the butt.

I think the reason CeLo and Adam don't look nervous is because they know they have the stronger teams. That or they have some crazy poker faces! LOL.

I did somewhat enjoy Christina's group number, there, I said something positive about her. Oh and I like how she isn't at all shy about supporting her girls by dancing and singing along. I just said two, maybe she'll get me to start liking her again.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I also got really irritated with the whole emphasis on social media. I was visiting my sister this week, and so while we watched the show, I turned to her and said, "You know, I would really be irritated at having to do this stupid Twitter thing when I really wanted to be focusing on getting ready for my performance." My sister replied that maybe they were glad for the distraction, but I don't know. I'm a Type A person who would rather be psyching myself up for beating my competition.
    I just felt it was filler. I won't be recapping what goes on in the v-room or whatever they call it, unless something truly worth mentioning happens. A bunch of contestants fiddling on tablets in a product placement piece doesn't interest me, nor do I think it interests anyone. It lends a cheesiness to the show that it doesn't need. It's like Project Runway when they show the fabric design computer systems. Yea, great, they exist. I'm sticking with my reliable laptop and am tech savvy enough to know what fits me. So does everyone else. Give me a good 30 Rock sarcastic product placement, and I'm good.

+ Reply to Thread