+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Voice 4/26 ***Spoilers***

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: The Voice 4/26 ***Spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Have to say that the premise looked extremely goofy to me, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regarding the "no looks" component....The people we see competing have been selected to compete by someone who has seen them. In other words, this is not a completely unbiased or blind show.

I'm sure we are seeing people who would never make it on Idol given their appearance and/or age, but I'm sure all were selected - to some degree - based on looks before even stepping on stage. What I'm seeing is that producers have selected people that fall into one of 3 categories - good-looking, average looking, and unique looking given age and/or style. A good mix, but none who are completely off the charts gross and still the majority fall into the good-looking category.

Still, once there, the judges must select without seeing the contestants' physical appearance, and that does count for *somthing*.

Very good observations.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

How were the people selected to be on this show, did they ever explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Have to say that the premise looked extremely goofy to me, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regarding the "no looks" component....The people we see competing have been selected to compete by someone who has seen them. In other words, this is not a completely unbiased or blind show.

I'm sure we are seeing people who would never make it on Idol given their appearance and/or age, but I'm sure all were selected - to some degree - based on looks before even stepping on stage. What I'm seeing is that producers have selected people that fall into one of 3 categories - good-looking, average looking, and unique looking given age and/or style. A good mix, but none who are completely off the charts gross and still the majority fall into the good-looking category.

Still, once there, the judges must select without seeing the contestants' physical appearance, and that does count for *somthing*.
    Bee beat me to it. I was going to say "Brilliant."
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    How were the people selected to be on this show, did they ever explain?
    That seems to be one of the million dollar questions! As I stated pages earlier, I think this whole thing is scripted and manipulated. That is not to say that it might not be the best show this season....BUT for us to believe that the contestants are random and looking to be discovered as a diamond in the rough would not be prudent.

Canada's High Arctic, on the Arctic Ocean

I missed the premiere, but caught it this weekend on satellite! I watched only because of the great buzz, and am so glad that I did. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it all. The opening number of Crazy was just incredible and I can't imagine how exciting it would be to see it in person!!! Javier was my favourite performer by far, but I enjoyed all of them.

Blake, I fell in love with a couple of years ago on Clash of the Choirs, (one of the best shows ever on TV)....and he did not disappoint. I adore that man, and he is sooooo very funny. I also loved Adam...he is so witty, totally unexpected. Ceilo was great....loved his banter with them all, and Christina is so talented, I am interested to see her as a coach, since it all seems to come so easy to her. Can she actually know how to help someone be better?? I am excited for tonight and have told all my family and friends to tune in. GO JAVIER!!!!
    Thanks
    Karey

'The Voice': Javier Colon is clearly the early favorite

After last night’s premiere of the The Voice, there is some dissension on whether NBC’s new singing competition is “a garish bore,” as EW’s Ken Tucker says in his review, or surprisingly entertaining — at least in the blind audition round — as I would argue. What’s not up for debate, however: 33-year-old father-of-two Javier Colon, who sang a stripped version of Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time,” is the one to beat so far. Watch the clip below. It shows the best of the blind audition concept: A talented performer, all four coaches (Adam Levine, Cee Lo Green, Christina Aguilera, and Blake Shelton) pushing their “I Want You” buttons, and the contestant getting to choose which star will be his mentor after they each try to woo him to his or her team.

UPDATE: No wonder everyone wanted him: Per Javier’s Facebook page, his résumé includes two solo albums on Capitol before he broke out of the “urban R&B” mold and started opening for the likes of Joss Stone and the Indigo Girls.
    'The Voice': Javier Colon is clearly the early favorite -- WATCH! | PopWatch | EW.com
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

He'd better sing better than he did at that audition, or he won't be my favorite. I hated his song.

And Cyndy Lauper recorded that song? Yuk. For me, the definitive version will always be the orginal: that male/female duet off the "Strictly Ballroom" movie soundtrack.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    He'd better sing better than he did at that audition, or he won't be my favorite. I hated his song.

And Cyndy Lauper recorded that song? Yuk. For me, the definitive version will always be the orginal: that male/female duet off the "Strictly Ballroom" movie soundtrack.
    Cyndi Lauper is the co-writer and performer of the original version, which is just gorgeous in my opinion, and has never been improved upon.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Oh, I have to admit - this made me laugh heartily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Cyndi Lauper is the co-writer and performer of the original version, which is just gorgeous in my opinion, and has never been improved upon.
    Thank you. Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I agree. People should just stop trying to sing it.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread