+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Voice on NBC

FORT Fogey

Re: The Voice on NBC

Monica!
    I am excited about that! If Blake is using another country artist to help him, I think that could be a huge disadvantage. Well, I guess it would help a lot if all he picked were country artists. It would be tough if he had a soul singer or a top 40 pop singer.

But isn't Reba one of those well-known transcending singers? She's huge. I think that getting Miranda Lambert (his wife) or Carrie Underwood would have been better but Reba definitely knows a little something about putting on a show and having a long career.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

I am so excited with this new show! WOW

I was like: oh well another american idol boring thingy. But how wrong was I!

I love so many things. The concept to have coaches and not judges. 4 very different music stars. The personalities of the 4. The fact that it is all about the voice and give the chance for soooooo many rejectees because of their looks.

I am hoocked sooooo bad! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    But isn't Reba one of those well-known transcending singers? She's huge. I think that getting Miranda Lambert (his wife) or Carrie Underwood would have been better but Reba definitely knows a little something about putting on a show and having a long career.
    Does she ever!! I got to see her in concert back in '94 and she blew my socks off.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

LT1

Sneak Peak - Dia Frampton

Thanks for posting that link. Dia sounds really good!
    Did she even get the entire first line of the song completed before Blake pushed the button? Wow, that was one quick decision!

The un-amateur contestants of 'The Voice': Where have you seen them before?

Does the moppet to your left look familiar? If so, you might be one of the world’s rarest creatures — a fan of The Voice who’s also seen Kevin Smith’s 2003 flop Jersey Girl. Raquel Castro, the girl who starred in that film as the plucky daughter of Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez’s characters, resurfaced on the second episode of NBC’s singing sensation last night and ended up getting chosen to join Christina Aguilera’s team. As it turns out, Raquel is far from the only Voice contestant who had significant experience in show business before snagging a spot on the series.

We’ve already discussed Frenchie Davis and Javier Colon, who are probably The Voice‘s best-known contestants when judged solely by their pre-show careers. But did you know that a VH1-anointed diva, two successful songwriters, and three more former child stars — among other semi-famous singers — also made the Top 32? Here’s a list detailing other Voice hopefuls’ brushes with fame:

In 2003, Tarralyn Ramsey won the first and only season of VH1′s Born to Diva, a reality competition in which would-be Mariahs tried to impress the likes of Gloria Estefan, Patti LaBelle, and Kelly Rowland with both their pipes and their larger-than-life attitudes. Tarralyn subsequently scored a record deal with Verity/Warner Bros. and toured with Mary J. Blige and Ray Charles. Check out the video for her single “Up Against All Odds” — which begins with a clip from Born to Diva — below:

Cherie Oakley‘s more than just a seasoned backup singer who’s supported Carrie Underwood and Gretchen Wilson on tour; she’s also a co-writer of “Turn On the Radio,” which became a hit when it was recorded by Reba McEntire. (Reba, incidentally, is going to serve as a guest mentor on The Voice next week.) American Idol contestant Lauren Alaina also performed the song during this season’s Top 24 week.

Casey Desmond‘s songs have been featured in episodes of MTV’s My Super Sweet 16, Road Rules, and The Real World, as well as the trailer for The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.

Vicci Martinez was put through to Hollywood during the first season of American Idol, but she elected not to accept the offer: “Just having to sing cover songs all the time, and [being told] what to wear — I just couldn’t do it,” she told a local news affiliate in Tacoma, Washington after the fact. (Presumably, she’s all right with singing cover songs now.) Vicci also made it to the semifinals on CBS’s Star Search in 2003.

Dia Frampton formed a band with her sister Meg (called, appropriately enough, Meg & Dia) in 2004. They performed at Warped Tour in 2006 and 2007, opened for Angels & Airwaves in 2008, and were signed with Warner Bros. for three years before being dropped in 2010.

Serabee (a.k.a. Sarah Buras) was once signed with Universal Republic records. She also penned “Crazy Chick,” which Charlotte Church recorded; it reached No. 2 on the UK’s charts.

Emily Valentine made a big impression when she auditioned for American Idol‘s eighth season. Back then, she was going by Emily Wynne-Hughes. She, too, made it to Hollywood, but ended up getting cut after she forgot the lyrics to a Fleetwood Mac number.

My personal favorite: When she was 12 years old, Kelsey Rey was a member of the Disney girl group Funn Club. (On the cover of their album, which was released in 2003, she’s standing second from the right.) Their cover of “Whoop There It Is!” — “Party over here/Party over there/Hands in the air/Shake your derriere!” — is truly fantastic.

Tje Austin has opened for Trey Songz, Anthony David, and Dwele.

Tori & Taylor Thompson, too, have been making music since they were too short to ride roller coasters. The sisters were two of the five winners of American Juniors, the fairly terrible AI spinoff that aired in 2003. That sure was a big year for eventual Voice contestants! Fun fact: Pretty Little Liars star Lucy Hale also got her start by winning American Juniors.
    The Voice TV show Christina Aguilera | PopWatch | EW.com
    Last edited by Love_Me; 05-06-2011 at 03:26 AM.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I'm sorry. But seeding this show with so many people with former experience sours it for me.

I can't help but feel a little sense of, "if you couldn't cut it when you had the chance the first time, maybe that should tell you something."

And maybe I have a unique perspective, having been a frustrated musician at one time. My story has become long and boring to myself. But this is the kind of break I would have been beyond excited about when I was working my ass off to "get somewhere" in the music business in Detroit the early to mid 90's. And there were TONS of people like me out there - talented, unsigned, without hope of contacts needed for that all-important break.

These are the kinds of people I thought I'd be seeing on this show.

Same sort of thing irks me on So You Think You Can Dance. Learning that the "undiscovered talent" isn't all that undiscovered after all.

I know some people don't care. And some even think this makes it more interesting somehow. Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter View Post
    I'm sorry. But seeding this show with so many people with former experience sours it for me.

I can't help but feel a little sense of, "if you couldn't cut it when you had the chance the first time, maybe that should tell you something."

And maybe I have a unique perspective, having been a frustrated musician at one time. My story has become long and boring to myself. But this is the kind of break I would have been beyond excited about when I was working my ass off to "get somewhere" in the music business in Detroit the early to mid 90's. And there were TONS of people like me out there - talented, unsigned, without hope of contacts needed for that all-important break.

These are the kinds of people I thought I'd be seeing on this show.

Same sort of thing irks me on So You Think You Can Dance. Learning that the "undiscovered talent" isn't all that undiscovered after all.

I know some people don't care. And some even think this makes it more interesting somehow. Not me.

I get where you are coming from regarding the singers for The Voice. I don't think you can compare it to SYTYCD though. Those dancers train for years and years to get to the stage they are at when they compete, so I am sure that some of them are going to be known before they try out simply because of the tight industry of dancing. Singing is different. Some folks get training, some don't, some just pop out of nowhere and sing fantastically. But you can't just stand up and dance the way these kids do that make it on the show without some kind of training, except for some very few exceptionally talented kids. Even Joshua (whom was touted for having no professional training) did take different dance classes before trying out for the show.

So yeah, I would expect to see folks who are not known within the industry to show up for singing, but not necessarily for dancing. JMHO

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I mostly agree with you, mesachick. I use that example because it's disingenuous to tout a lot of the contestants on SYTYCD as "untrained" when we know full well many - if not most - of them are trained.

It still bothers me that they use that BS line in relation to SYTYCD. I can accept now on that show that most of the dancers have been in the business in some way for the most part.

But this show could have been very different.

+ Reply to Thread