+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Voice on NBC

FORT Fogey

Re: The Voice on NBC

I still don't get it. Are you trying to say that discovered talent is all bad and that only local talent is good? Anyway, the talent in this show is discovered talent. The Voice isn't trying to find a nobody and make her a star. I guess that means you probably won't like this show very much. But I think it is great that you frequent the local scene and enjoy supporting those guys. It seems like there aren't too many open-mic night types in this competition at all. Every day, it is revealed that another contestant has had time in the spotlight.Tarralyn, Vicci, Frenchie, Kelsey, Dia, Nakia, Dia, Tori and Taylor, Javier, Tje, and Raquel have all had "big breaks." And that list is just off the top of my head. Even Jeff Jenkins has videos on youtube though they are far from an impressive accomplishment.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I'm not trying to say that discovered talent is all bad and that only local talent is good.

But comments like this seem to be asserting that some people think the opposite is true:

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    when it becomes a requirement to find people without any experience, we end up with guys like Lee Dewyze! EEK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    For better or worse, most of the contestants who have held our attention on AI have been those with prior experience. Would anybody watch The Voice if all the contestants sang like Lee? Nope.
    That's twice that it's been said that those without prior experience aren't going to be as good as those with. Both statements say, "Lee Dewyze is an example of the kind of people we'd see if only people without experience were on these shows."

Maybe that's not what the quotes meant to say. But that's how they read.

All of this is kinda pointless argument anyway. These shows are disingenuous and all seeded with both people of genuine talent and people with crap talent. It wouldn't be as interesting if there wasn't a Sanjaya or Lee Dewyze to laugh at. Every story needs an underdog/villain/fool.

Spent time in bands and in relationships and friendships with people in bands that were very driven and wanting to make it. What it came down to is right place and right time and had very very little to do with actual talent. If you had the right words, right sound or right look at the right time you got scooped up.

While I see a few of these artists have had signed deals with record companies I'd hardly call that making it. People get signed and dropped on a fairly regular basis without people ever knowing that they existed at all in the general public. As for the people with writing credits... lets just be real here... that's not exactly making it either. Not all "famous" artists write their own songs and a artist has to eat if they're lucky they can write and supplement their income. People sell songs all the time... doesn't mean they're famous or that they made it. It means they sold a song.

I don't hold it against any of these folks for doing what they've done with their careers and then coming on this show hoping it's the right place or right time for them to actually make it. Just like I don't blame the others who haven't done that yet for hoping the same thing. And realistically this show has little to do with talent in the end and everything to do with the right look, right words, right style and right place at the right time.

There are millions of people with huge talent that wouldn't dream of coming on a show like this because of the career suicide it could potentially be. If they wanted to be on here they could have taken the bull by the horn and done some auditions. But if it's not their thing then fine. I don't think these people on this show are any more talented than anyone else out there trying to make it. They just happen to be taking this path.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter View Post
    I'm not trying to say that discovered talent is all bad and that only local talent is good.

But comments like this seem to be asserting that some people think the opposite is true:

That's twice that it's been said that those without prior experience aren't going to be as good as those with. Both statements say, "Lee Dewyze is an example of the kind of people we'd see if only people without experience were on these shows."

Maybe that's not what the quotes meant to say. But that's how they read.

All of this is kinda pointless argument anyway. These shows are disingenuous and all seeded with both people of genuine talent and people with crap talent. It wouldn't be as interesting if there wasn't a Sanjaya or Lee Dewyze to laugh at. Every story needs an underdog/villain/fool.
    No. That is exactly what I meant to say. Singers who have had success have had success for a reason. Maybe they have a lot of talent, maybe they are attractive, maybe they have a good work ethic. Their success is an indication of their potential. To exclude them would hurt the show because that would mean the talent pool would be less polished, less proven, and less talented. I believe a pool successful singers (those with record deals or with bigger fan follwings) are more talented than a pool with little or no success. I don't see how that is a controversial or incorrect opinion. You have said that you were in music and didn't have commercial success. I don't mean to imply that your group was talentless. Yours may have been the best group in the world but if you take 100 bands without success and compare them to 100 bands with success, I am betting that the less successful group isn't going to come close to U2, The Beatles, or the Rolling Stones. I apologize if you took my opinion as a critique of what you have done. It is just that I am welcoming the more seasoned acts with open arms.

"Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Singers who have had success have had success for a reason. Maybe they have a lot of talent, maybe they are attractive, maybe they have a good work ethic. Their success is an indication of their potential.
    Celine Dion recorded a demo when she was twelve. Her mom sent it to Rene Angelil. He mortgaged his home to produce her record. Voila, a star is born. Justin Bieber's mom put a video of him on Youtube. Scooter Braun clicked on it by accident. Voila, another star is born. Without putting in anywhere near the effort or having a quarter of the talent of any of a thousand bands crossing and recrossing the continent, playing a different bar every night, recording newer and better demos, leaving everything behind in the hopes of building a career at what they do best.

Luck has a lot to do with success. Even more than talent, it would seem, given the number of truly tedious but wealthy, and for some reason popular, artists yowling/autotuning on radio stations I refuse to listen to.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

No. That is exactly what I meant to say. Singers who have had success have had success for a reason. Maybe they have a lot of talent, maybe they are attractive, maybe they have a good work ethic. Their success is an indication of their potential. To exclude them would hurt the show because that would mean the talent pool would be less polished, less proven, and less talented. I believe a pool successful singers (those with record deals or with bigger fan follwings) are more talented than a pool with little or no success. I don't see how that is a controversial or incorrect opinion. You have said that you were in music and didn't have commercial success. I don't mean to imply that your group was talentless. Yours may have been the best group in the world but if you take 100 bands without success and compare them to 100 bands with success, I am betting that the less successful group isn't going to come close to U2, The Beatles, or the Rolling Stones. I apologize if you took my opinion as a critique of what you have done. It is just that I am welcoming the more seasoned acts with open arms.
    My broad experience actually involved in the music scene as a musician and with musicians grossly disproves your assertion. Ditto others I have talked to about this discussion.

Respectfully agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Celine Dion recorded a demo when she was twelve. Her mom sent it to Rene Angelil. He mortgaged his home to produce her record. Voila, a star is born. Justin Bieber's mom put a video of him on Youtube. Scooter Braun clicked on it by accident. Voila, another star is born. Without putting in anywhere near the effort or having a quarter of the talent of any of a thousand bands crossing and recrossing the continent, playing a different bar every night, recording newer and better demos, leaving everything behind in the hopes of building a career at what they do best.

Luck has a lot to do with success. Even more than talent, it would seem, given the number of truly tedious but wealthy, and for some reason popular, artists yowling/autotuning on radio stations I refuse to listen to.
    <-- high fives Rattus.

Seems you have to have some actual experience in the world of the undiscovered musician to "get" it. Thank you.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How much of this has to do with connections........who you know, and where you are located?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    How much of this has to do with connections........who you know, and where you are located?
    An incredible amount.

+ Reply to Thread