+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unan1mous is an "unscripted drama?" *possible spoilers*

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar

Unan1mous is an "unscripted drama?" *possible spoilers*

So I watched the first episode and my main question is this. Is this REALLY a "Reality" show? I was struck by the fact that it looked to me like all the "characters" were actors. It reminded me a lot of Average Joe. My husband and I wondered if the participants were actually given "characters" to play and certain basic storylines, and then allowed to improv.

Before you pooh pooh the idea, consider the fact that this movie is not really billed as a "reality show" in the traditional sense! And actually, they haven't really promoted it as a "reality competition show." In fact, the description of the show on the official website is as follows:

UNAN1MOUS
    A dynamic hybrid of unscripted drama and competition
    From the producers of “The Biggest Loser” and “Beauty and the Geek”

(from http://www.fox.com/unanimous/showinfo)

A "dynamic hybrid" of "unscripted drama" and "competition?"? Hmmm, I have yet to hear one of the reality competition shows described in this way. Also, don't you usually see a set of rules (required by law since Quiz Show times, I thought?) about how to get the prize, if this is a competition show? I didn't notice anything like that at the end of the show.

And weren't the characters just a little too stereotypical and a little too into describing their "motivations" like on Average Joe? It didn't come off as totally genuine to me.

Anyway, my theory about this show is that they are going to pull a sort of Average Joe on all the viewers by tricking us into believing it is a reality show. Then, as the contestants get trapped in the bunker and get all stressed out, some crazy (and not REAL) stuff is gonna go down.

Did anyone have the same thought? Feel free to disagree, and I could be totally wrong, but it's just a theory and my husband had the same reaction so I wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone responded the same way we did.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what develops!
    Perfection is just fine by me!

You mean Joe Schmoe, not Average Joe, by the way.

And since I've just proven that Tarah is in fact not an actress, I'm going to say that no, this is not that kind of thing, and these people are, in fact, playing this game as outlined in the show.

I never thought of that but I think you're on to something.

Maybe they're functioning as a group of actors who are creating this all to fool us, or maybe each one believes they are the only actor and all the rest are for real. I tend to go with your scenario though.

Yeah, NOW I'm highly suspicous and a lot of what happened tonight does seem to have been scripted.

Glad you posted!
    What?! Am I still here?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

And since I've just proven that Tarah is in fact not an actress, I'm going to say that no, this is not that kind of thing, and these people are, in fact, playing this game as outlined in the show.

Unless Tarah is the only real one.
    What?! Am I still here?

Quote Originally Posted by wendiness View Post
    Maybe they're functioning as a group of actors who are creating this all to fool us, or maybe each one believes they are the only actor and all the rest are for real.
    It all seemed very cliche' to me. The gay, the bigot, the various characters. It was a horrible show and I will never watch again.
    Carly
    Time flies by in photographs, and paper scraps and songs... Read mine...

That's right. Duh. I always got mixed up between those two. Where did you prove that Tarah is not an actress? I want to see!

I could be totally wrong about this, but it's just how it struck me, so I wanted to throw the idea out there.

FORT Fan
    I watched it, but won't be upset if I miss it next week. A little too over-dramatic for me with regard to the set and the lighting. Much prefer the sunshine drama of Big Brother.

That's what made me think that they are all playing "characters" rather than being themselves. It was all very much like Joe Schmoe to me, like "okay, my character is gay, therefore his motivation would be to get into a fight with the minister" or "my character is a minister and kind of a bigot, therefore she would make a comment about 'adam and steve.'" The reactions just seemed more improved than real to me and all just sort of oriented towards creating conflict, which would be what the director would be telling them to do.

I'm not criticizing the show, in fact I think this might be a cool idea if they go somewhere interesting with it. I'm just kind of suspicious as to whether this really is a REAL competition. Did anyone see any rules at the end (like what they show at the end of the other cash prize shows???)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlyNTSO View Post
    It all seemed very cliche' to me. The gay, the bigot, the various characters. It was a horrible show and I will never watch again.

Premium Member

I think I agree with John here.
    Even though the personalities of these people do seem scripted, I think what is happening in Reality TV is that the "Realbrities" going in often think they have to portray some sort of role, so the guy lying about cancer is just playing the creepy Johnny Fairplay guy, so on and so on.
    I see it with TAR and Survivor, everybody feels as they must play a role from the past or something, so they are getting very proficient in acting these roles out in the context of a competition reality show.
    As far as "Unscripted drama" goes, I think that is what Reality TV has morphed into.
    On the other hand, my wife totally disagrees with me and thinks the whole thing is a scripted drama. Go figure!!

Tigerusty posted this in the "Richard" thread:
    John I believe they are now calling these shows unscripted because of a big dispute that's going on with the Writers Guild regarding overtime pay for editors and other issues.
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast