+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unan1mous is an "unscripted drama?" *possible spoilers*

Jonathan is an actor too. However, that still doesn't necessarily indicate that this is all a setup. Who is the most likely group to seek out roles on a reality tv show? Yep, actors. It's great exposure and gets your name and face into people's homes.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    Welcome Mad Hatter!
    Hope you stick around. We've got lots of better shows to discuss here.

I'm trying to figure out what the purpose would be to have a fake reality show. With shows like "Joe Schmo" and "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance" someone was being conned, but the audience was in on it. So when the reveal happened, we got to see the reactions of those being punk'd. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have a TV camera in my house. So if I find out that the audience is being conned, nobody will see my reaction. Where's the payoff? What's the point?
    Because maybe they are going to do something really messed up at the end like have some violence break out between the players or some big gigantic drama that they have planned out, that you couldn't do with non-actors, would be my guess.

Or, maybe they just thought they could "plot" a better show this way....but were wrong.

Or, perhaps the whole point of this show is to "punk" the VIEWER with some dramatic and shocking ending...and then reveal they were all acting.
    Perfection is just fine by me!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina View Post
    Jonathan is an actor too. However, that still doesn't necessarily indicate that this is all a setup. Who is the most likely group to seek out roles on a reality tv show? Yep, actors. It's great exposure and gets your name and face into people's homes.
    Well, yes, but one major difference, though. Most reality shows don't cast people who have previously acted. They actually make you fill out a form saying that you have never done any acting before and are not a member of any unions. Er, not that I would know this for any particular reason.

I'm glad to read so many people having doubts about the show.

My theory is that they do the usual american reality show thing of Rehearsing moments. The competition is real, but when it comes to certain moments such as confessionals they have a director coaching them... "Now say it again, but sit here and say it this way".

Too much of the speaking in the show comes out too... umm, coherant. In too neat, complete sentences, which is not how normal people talk.

FORT Fan
    Since the reality shows began airing, a common thread is the use of "contestants" who have agents and often appear on more than one reality show to get more exposure. They do their best to appear "dramatic", even though they may be scripting their own words. (Ex: the big-mouth blonde with the bug eyes on Paradise Hotel "GAME ON!!". who was also on a reality show with a boat and a dating show)

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emjoi View Post
    My theory is that they do the usual american reality show thing of Rehearsing moments. The competition is real, but when it comes to certain moments such as confessionals they have a director coaching them... "Now say it again, but sit here and say it this way".
    I agree, but why is it so noticeable with this particular show?? I mean, I think most people by now realize that on Survivor or Big Brother they have them re-do their confessionals until the director is satisfied - but why does it come off so much more smoothly on all the other shows? Weird. And unfortunately, with this show, there are no competitions to keep it real - it's just strategy and voting, and both seem less than 100% authentic.
    Too much of the speaking in the show comes out too... umm, coherant. In too neat, complete sentences, which is not how normal people talk.
    Another great point, which I think helps make it obvious that something's just not right with this show, and a lot of viewers seem to have picked up on. And I also get the feeling that somehow I know what the contestant will say or how they will respond - like they know what we're expecting, and that's exactly what they give us, which usually only happens in scripted shows.

Has there been another reality show with such a strong reaction like this, with people questioning its genre? I can't recall at the moment, if so. I wouldn't be surprised, though.

I'll say it again, ambitious premise for a reality show: how many reality shows offer a million dollar prize, yet the contestants don't get booted and actually remain active participants on the show? how many reality shows offer a prize without any challenges, it's all strictly voting? how many reality shows do the contestants live together and we never see them eating on camera? (hehe, okay, maybe I've missed it, but it's weird I don't recall seeing them cooking or eating when I have watched, yet I can picture contestants eating on Survivor or Big Brother, etc)

Anyone with a TiVo guide or anyway to see how many episodes we might expect from this show? I think it's already outlasted Celebrity Cooking Showdown, huh? Impressive.

As I've already said, I think this whole show is scripted.

It seems to be about nothing but strategizing, being underhanded and voting. Interestingly, every "actor" has been given the same degree of drive and willingness to strategize. Wouldn't a normal group have folks more or less driven? Some willing to lie and cheat, others wanting no part of the nastiness?

I think the producers have made a huge mistake here in assuming the public wants to watch a group of people behave deviously. It's getting pretty boring.
    What?! Am I still here?

I think Episode 2 was the biggest reveal of the Fakeness of the show.
    Getting an almost Unanimous vote, except for one.....
    If it was scripted, that would be such a obvious thing to do.
    Having someone freakout under the "Claustrophobic Pressure" in Episode 3 is also straight out of some High School kids English story writing project.

I also get the feeling that the whole series, even if it's real, was filmed in a week. A vote or two each day.

I think it's so especially bad/noticable on this show because (a) unlike most reality shows, it is ENTIRELY fake (like these people aren't playing themselves and rehearsing - they are playing "characters" with assigned "motivations" and "plotlines" and (b) they chose really, REALLY bad and obvious actors to cast in this thing.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie9 View Post
    Because maybe they are going to do something really messed up at the end like have some violence break out between the players or some big gigantic drama that they have planned out, that you couldn't do with non-actors, would be my guess.

Or, maybe they just thought they could "plot" a better show this way....but were wrong.

Or, perhaps the whole point of this show is to "punk" the VIEWER with some dramatic and shocking ending...and then reveal they were all acting.
    They could plant actors but no way the whole group are actors. Unless Steve is really living in fantasy land where he thinks he could ever make a living as an actor. Look at him. Would you hire that guy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast