+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unan1mous is an "unscripted drama?" *possible spoilers*

While I was watching it, I got the same vibe that a lot of you have been getting. A few points stand out to me:

The poker playing guy seems totally fake in his confessionals. It doesn't sound genuine at all and I thought even his body language seemed off.

During the "have it your way" confessionals, one guy was like "i'd split the money between all of us equally and go home now". It sounded sooo fake and the expression on his face as he said it looked forced. And maybe he actually would have wanted to do that but I doubt it.

I still liked the show though but the situations and drama have seemed so fake already and the show reeks of bad acting. Not to say that it is fake but with how everything is presented, it sure comes off that way.

During the "have it your way" confessionals, one guy was like "i'd split the money between all of us equally and go home now". It sounded sooo fake and the expression on his face as he said it looked forced. And maybe he actually would have wanted to do that but I doubt it.

I don't know, $150,000+ each and you all get out of there? I could live with that outcome. Wonder whether everyone would vote for me if I promised to split the money, and whether that's allowed. (On Survivor, I know it isn't.)

I still haven't caught the show, although from the discussion here, I think I would enjoy it. To add to the 'unscripted drama' discussion, the recaps on fox.com list the first episode as 'The Pilot'. I don't think I've seen any other reality shows or unscripted dramas labelled as a pilot.
    Don't let the small things sweat

After watching the show last night and reading your comments as to whether or not it is scripted, I believe that it must be. There has got to be someone controlling the gameplay; because the way they present it, all the power lies in the players' hands. Were they all to vote unanimously early on, the show would be over. And the producers cannot permit that. Therefore, in order to maintain control over the show's outcome and its "lifespan," there has got to be at least one plant or one person getting input directly from the producers.

The first time I got a real strong vibe that this show might be scripted, or "directed" for improv, is when that guy got eliminated last night. His whole thing after in the confessional was soooo fake. His facial expressions and the overdone drama of it, just looked unreal. Maybe it's a combo of real people and actors doing improvisation, playing off of the real people.

I definitely think they will never reach a unanimous vote and if they do it will be fake with the money probably going to either the biggest sob story or the fakest actor of the bunch. At the end they'll probably reveal that they each get, say, $50K for participating and a "thank you for your time, this was a filmed psychological experiment".
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    The first time I got a real strong vibe that this show might be scripted, or "directed" for improv, is when that guy got eliminated last night. His whole thing after in the confessional was soooo fake. His facial expressions and the overdone drama of it, just looked unreal. Maybe it's a combo of real people and actors doing improvisation, playing off of the real people.
    I felt this too. I didn't suspect anything during the first episode, but after the FORT discussion I was specifically watching for "fakeness" last night. I also thought Adam's tirade against Kelly when she wanted to leave didn't really ring true either. On the other hand, Steve doesn't seem fake to me at all. I just don't know what to think.

Note to FOX: I don't mind watching other people being "played" but you sure as heck better not be "playing" me!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Yep.. I agree MsFroggy, when Richard was "eliminated".. the whole wacky stare-down with the camera, the talking, and especially the way he went about talking.. it was as if he rehearsed those lines so many times, he had to spit them out real quick for fear of leaving something out.

Then.. "just leave me alone" to the camera?! Playing up the "I was in a coo-coo ward for 3 days" weirdness, or it was plain ole scripted.

I just don't think that they're "real" people at this point. I surely wouldn't be surprised if and when it ends..that they all come out and take a bow.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I agree with MsFroggy and Maveno, I didn't suspect much from the first episode as I'm usually oblivious to things, but this was too obvious for even me to ignore. When Richard grabbed his 'outcast' t-shirt, he said something sarcastically like, 'this is my trophy' - the staredown with the camera - the 'leave me alone' statement. I mean, who does that? This is too staged. Which I think also makes them bad actors too because they LOOK like they are acting. I probably won't be tuning in for this show again.
    This is my first post. I specifically came here to see if there was a thread on this.

Welcome to FORT serpentina! Glad to have you aboard!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

, serpentina!

The thing that had me wondering if there are actors in there along with some real people is Jonathan's vote last night and Richard's seemingly fake post vote out "confessional".

It is obvious to me that Steve is a real person. If he's not, he is one hell of an actor. I think some of the others are real people too. But there are a few that are just too darn "characterized". Jonathan voting against everyone else just to shake things up? Come on! Richard and his weird interactions with the camera? What? Kelly and her "money is the root of all evil...where can I get some more?" BS? She's just too bi-polar to take seriously.

There are "real" people in there...Steve, Vanessa, Tarah...maybe even Jamie and perhaps Jameson. But the rest just seem like actors filling particular stereotypes/character roles.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast