+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unan1mous is an "unscripted drama?" *possible spoilers*

Even if it's not strictly scripted, the participants are surely cast for type. Producers handpick them to make sure they will fight, or break down, or otherwise make a scene that will constitute great television.
    Same principle as on Big Brother but because there's less time involved, they have to start the conflicts earlier.
    The contestants were also probably "encouraged" to accentuate their stories to appear more interesting on camera, since it is a TV show after all. I think it's no more fake than say Big Brother was fake, or The Bachelor is fake.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Well.. I guess I really don't care whether it is or not. It's just another 'reality show' that is trying to grab my attention. So far, it has somewhat achieved that.
    If they're actor/actresses? pffft. {shrug} I've watched reality shows til the very bitter end knowing that it wasn't entirely "truthful" with the participants, so I guess it doesn't really matter to me.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Newbie
    I actually came here looking for an answer to this. I was watching this with my wife, and about 5 mintues in I turned to her and asked, "this is fake, right?". It stinks of bad acting. I'll tune in to check it out again. It was just itdoesn't feel real, if that makes any sense. The guy who plays the gambler dude, just screams fake to me. I know it's edited but everything seemed to happen real fast with the confrentations.

FORT Fogey
    I had the same feeling that something here is not legit. I tend to squash all talk of conspiracy and rigging or just ignore the posts. But not with this one.

The goal is to win the money. I found it odd that the minister and gay man immediately put their cards on the table automatically eliminating them from consideration. So they are now faced with living in this toxic environment to give the money to another. Makes no sense.

The man who lied about testicular cancer was transparent and no way would anyone believe him. But they did or so it appeared.

One woman said she thought she had to go because she was feeling claustrophobic and freaked. Now why on earth would this happen? She knew the circumstances when she signed on.
    Switch to diary talks, "We have to convince her to stay because $750,000 is much less money." hmm hummmm. It seemed staged.

The show opened with too much drama, tension and strife for day one of this experiment.

The format requires everyone to get to know each other and be liked so that they will be the choice to win. We saw none of that.

All the tears and tension in the promo for next week did not seem genuine. All this discourse so soon is suspect.

I just watched it again, and I'm even LESS convinced it's fake than I was before. It's very clear in watching that Kelly and Jameson were quite honestly pissing each other off, and not being very "prepared" about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Even if it's not strictly scripted, the participants are surely cast for type. Producers handpick them to make sure they will fight, or break down, or otherwise make a scene that will constitute great television.
    Same principle as on Big Brother but because there's less time involved, they have to start the conflicts earlier.
    The contestants were also probably "encouraged" to accentuate their stories to appear more interesting on camera, since it is a TV show after all. I think it's no more fake than say Big Brother was fake, or The Bachelor is fake.
    Seems to me all Reality shows are kinda scripted. I'm not sure if the people on most Reality shows are told to act a certain way or the people decide to act a certain way. I've seen so many Reality shows now they all look scripted. If nothing else, they are told "we are looking for certain personalities to fit the show" So, people act accordingly. Most contestants on any of these shows knows someone that knows someone or their agent knows someone. I'm convinced none of the Reality show contestants get on a show without inside knowledge. I'm sure most of the shows aren't fake (editing is another story) but recruiting people is fake (in my humble opinion).

FORT Fogey
    No reality show is scripted. You must have skilled actors to pull off memorizing lines and delivering them believably. When I say that I sense something is up it is never scripting.

Improv perhaps. That I would buy. I will have to watch again but something is just not genuine.

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Exactly, VinceV - that was exactly my reaction, and my husband's too. To us it was like a really bad acting class exercise.

And Dogbat - I agree with you too. I don't think this show (or any reality show really) is actually scripted, otherwise they couldn't call it an "unscripted drama." But, I think they could give people "character types" or "storylines" and then have them improv off of that, and it just seemed to me like this is what was going on.

I know that some of these shows cross the line between "reality" and "unscripted drama" (but with some direction/producer input). And I actually don't really care about that too much. It's just that this show just felt to me to have such stereotypical characters that were so geared towards "conflict" that I really couldn't believe that any of them were actually totally playing themselves. The "characters" seemed less like real people who were cast, and more like "characters" they were playing (and only sort of half-heartedly). Their reactions to the situation just didn't seem genuine to me and neither did their personalities.

That, and then the fact that the website (and the promos) are kind of sketchy on actually calling this a "reality show" just makes me wonder. I know they are calling things "unscripted dramas" now sometimes but they really just do seem to take special care NOT to call this a "reality" show in their own literature and this whole thing about the "hybrid" is weird too. Just my opinion of course. And I am not usually much on the conspiracy theories either but I also think reality TV is a big market and I know that these "faux" reality shows ARE things that certain producers/directors are trying to get made right now, so I think it's only a matter of time before we see one on TV. This seems like one to me, but maybe it's not - I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceV View Post
    I actually came here looking for an answer to this. I was watching this with my wife, and about 5 mintues in I turned to her and asked, "this is fake, right?". It stinks of bad acting. I'll tune in to check it out again. It was just itdoesn't feel real, if that makes any sense. The guy who plays the gambler dude, just screams fake to me. I know it's edited but everything seemed to happen real fast with the confrentations.
    Perfection is just fine by me!

Hmm... I may be way off base here, but I believe that the first time I heard the term "unscripted drama" it was used by Mark Burnett to describe Survivor. He used the term as a defense against a criticism that Survivor wasn't "reality" in the sense of being a "reality tv show".

I attribute the "bad acting" feel of the show to FOX. The camera angles, the arguments, and other aspects of the show feel just like the dormitory-life segments from "Hell's Kitchen". Also, and this may just be my opinion, it seems that FOX tends to cast highly stereotype-prone contestants for their contest shows.

As an aside, Average Joe had its own problems with casting. I find it difficult to believe that several members of the Season Two cast weren't struggling actors that were desperate enough for camera time to act... well... foolish.

(Off-Topic: Props to John on the "looks like you've been lurking for a while" notice. Good idea there. Yeah, and props to whoever un-blocked the FORT at my school!)

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    No, I think you are right. I think shows do now refer to themselves that way. But, I just also think it's weird the way they describe the show on the website and that they don't say anything about "reality" - and that they don't have competition rules at the end of the show (like they do with Survivor and Millionaire and such).

Mainly though what makes me think this is fake is that the characters don't seem to be reacting the way other "real" characters do in other "reality" situations. It all seems kind of put on to me. Just my impression, and I don't usually think this way of reality shows. For all its ridiculousness, i do think that the Bachelor and Survivor and other similar shows use "real" people with "real" emotional reactions. This one just doesn't come off that way to me at all.
    Perfection is just fine by me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast