+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 3/22 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    So if someone files for bankruptcy and the government or your creditors or whoever finds out that you actually had money all along...can you get into trouble for that? Isn't that like fraud?????

Wonder what denomination of the ministry is she in and does her congregation know that she is a liar and a cheat???! Doesn't the bible also say "thou shalt not lie, cheat or steal?" Then doesn't that mean she'll have a seat right next to the gay guy in hell?(by her definition, he'll be in hell)
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I'm guessing Southern Baptist. She fits the exact profile.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie9 View Post
    Okay, I don't know if I am the first to do this, but can I call BS on this show?

What I mean is, I don't believe this is an actual reality show. I think it is something like "Average Joe" where it's PRETENDING to be a reality show, but really isn't one. Have they ever actually SAID this is a reality show? All these people seem to be playing characters to me. They are all reacting kind of weirdly and discussing their "characters" and their "motivations" way too much. I think they are all actors.

Is anyone with me on this? I think the twist to this show is gonna be that some crazy stuff goes down in the bunker, and then at the end it turns out that it isn't a reality TV show at all.

Does anyone agree?
    I agree. And you mean "Joe Schmo".
    What?! Am I still here?

These characters are all too stereotypical. I smell actors.

Mental ward character has that "mental ward" kinda look to him. If I was casting, he'd be the guy.

Professional gambler looks too much the part, too. If you watch those poker shows, a lot of those gamblers don't look like the Hollywood version.

Look at the breakdown of character types. So the producers are sitting around making a list of the most interesting character types: pretty girl, handsome guy, gay guy, athiest, minister, truck driver, designer, temp guy (basically out-of-work guy) . . . and another I'm forgetting. Perfect. Now they make a list of "secrets". Oooooh, let's have one one of them an ex-mental patient! And a cheat who files for bankruptcy - yeah that'll be really good played out in this type of game. And how 'bout somebody who was caught carrying a gun? No, wait, lotsa people do that. Let's say "ammunition" then, that sounds scary.

I could be wrong. But I'm almost certain this is a joke on us.
    What?! Am I still here?

As I posted in Tarah's thread, she is actually a fairly successful handbag designer. The others are a little too obscure to go checking on, but in my mind, if 1 in 9 can be verified, that means it's not ALL a setup. I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    As I posted in Tarah's thread, she is actually a fairly successful handbag designer. The others are a little too obscure to go checking on, but in my mind, if 1 in 9 can be verified, that means it's not ALL a setup. I disagree.

Well, possibly. Or perhaps Tarah, being around the Hollywood scene and having connections, is a wanna be actress as well and somebody thought she would have a good cover story to fool folks like us.

Edited to add: Just looked at all the characters photos. Ever seen a group of realty show folks look so glum and serious? I'm telling you, this is smelling more and more like a setup.
    What?! Am I still here?

I would just like to add my $.02... I am a friend of Richards thats the only reason I am watching the show. The "minister" needs to go buh-bye like NOW!! Richard is NOT an actor so the Joe Schmoe theory is probably out the window... But knowing FOX and their sneaky ways, who can predict what kind of twists they will throw our way (remember Paradise Hotel?)

Premium Member
    I have'nt quite figured out if I like this yet, but I will reserve judgement and definitely watch it next week. What I find fascinating is the whole concept. This is like Stanley Kubrick putting "Survivor", "Real World", ""Surreal Life", "Big Brother", "Greed" and any random Edgar Allen Poe book, into a giant cauldron, stirring the pot and coming up with this idea. The only thing thats missing is the token "Spy", who is there to undermine the whole process. Maybe that is on the agenda, I have no idea!
    Also, what in the heck did these people think they were signing up for anyway?? Really bizarre!!

Loved it! This show is right up my alley. Only complaint: it should be an hour long. Big Brother is on 3 nights a week, plus all the live feeds you can stomach. Half the fun is watching the cliques form, and all the snarking that ensues. Surely they could have given us another 30 minutes of the interaction between the contestants.

Whoever set the rules had their thinking cap on. Can’t vote for yourself, evictions based on anonymous secrets, evictees remain in the bunker, the dwindling prize money. It’s genius.

I would have no problem handling the isolation from the outside world or the lack of clocks. And I like that “futuristic” female voice that tells them when to eat, sleep, etc. My biggest problems would be dealing with the abrasive personalities, and the heat. If they turn it down – fine. But if they crank it up – I’d find it unbearable.

I think it’s pretty standard these days for reality show contracts to forbid the sharing of prize money. This whole process would be pointless if “sharing” deals could be struck. And it’s also pretty standard for the contestants to undergo some psychiatric evaluation, and for their personal belongings to be searched/limited before the show begins. If I was a contestant, I would automatically dismiss the mental institution secret and the live ammo secret. Anybody who declares bankruptcy when they’re fairly well off would get my vote to leave.

Jonathon came up with 3 lies pretty quickly. 1 - he’s on medication, 2 - he has testicular cancer, 3 - his father is going into debt to pay for his surgery. The main problem with lying is that you have to remember everything you said. What if someone asks to see his meds? He better not come up with too many more untruths, or he’s bound to trip himself up.

I wonder what will be the motivation to remain in the bunker after you’ve been eliminated from the game. Why not just leave and thereby decrease the money by half? Unless you’ve bonded with someone and want to stay and help them win the pot. Or unless you really hate someone and want to stay and block them from winning.

And I really didn’t get an “actor” vibe from any of these folks. If this show turns out to be fake, I will be really pissed. I may just burn down FOX studios.

P.S. - I hate the minister.
    Last edited by Qboots; 03-23-2006 at 03:20 AM.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Me, after too much RTV... alohatami's Avatar
    I don't understand - how can they get a unanimous vote if the contestants can't vote for themselves? With that rule, it'll never happen - at best they'd be off by one vote... Or am I missing something here?

+ Reply to Thread