+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 3/22 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I thought the show was pretty cool and as long as I have Tivo and it doesn't interfere with my other shows I'll watch .. in a way it scratches my Big Brother withdrawal itch.
    side note.. J.D. Roth is an executive producer of For Love or Money, The Biggest Loser and Beauty & The Geek too so I would say his producing career is a success.

I loved it right away. With the exception of Kelly, Jonathan and Richard, I liked all other contestants, and the setting and voting process were both pretty dang cool, as are the rules and consequences. I also like the lack of contact from the outside world, no windows, no sunlight, no actual forms of entertainment, no clocks, and from what I saw, meals come in a sorta trap door thingy, apparently all prepared in serving trays, so if there is a rule about having to eat at specific times instead of snacking whenever you want, that'll only make things more stressful. All that, plus the fact that they're locked in like that and the fact that the money will be going down by the second, that's just about the biggest recipe for big fights and going absolutely insane.

I just gotta say, what got my attention the most to this show is the huge similarities with a very good low budget horror/thriller movie I saw very recently, titled "House of 9", about a group of nine people (coincidentally 5 men and 4 women) who find themselves trapped in a tightly sealed house against their wills and are competing in a sorta illegal reality show thing for 5 million dollars, that can only be won by the last person to remain alive, and I'm sure ya'll can figure out what that leads to. My imagination was just running wild as I was watching the show tonight.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Prncessconsuela View Post
    I thought the show was pretty cool and as long as I have Tivo and it doesn't interfere with my other shows I'll watch .. in a way it scratches my Big Brother withdrawal itch.
    side note.. J.D. Roth is an executive producer of For Love or Money, The Biggest Loser and Beauty & The Geek too so I would say his producing career is a success.
    WOW! I didn't know that! Thanks for the info......as I go to google JD.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Okay, I don't know if I am the first to do this, but can I call BS on this show?

What I mean is, I don't believe this is an actual reality show. I think it is something like "Average Joe" where it's PRETENDING to be a reality show, but really isn't one. Have they ever actually SAID this is a reality show? All these people seem to be playing characters to me. They are all reacting kind of weirdly and discussing their "characters" and their "motivations" way too much. I think they are all actors.

Is anyone with me on this? I think the twist to this show is gonna be that some crazy stuff goes down in the bunker, and then at the end it turns out that it isn't a reality TV show at all.

Does anyone agree?
    Perfection is just fine by me!

I disagree, charlie. I think it's real, but just kind of poorly executed, like it was thrown together with very little planning except "set design".

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    That could also be true, John. But check out their description of the show on their official site: http://www.fox.com/unanimous/showinfo/

UNAN1MOUS
    A dynamic hybrid of unscripted drama and competition
    From the producers of “The Biggest Loser” and “Beauty and the Geek”

Notice it doesn't say anything about this being a "reality" show - it says it is an "unscripted drama." (i'm sure they are all improving)

It also doesn't have any of the usual rules and regulations that you usually see on cash prize competition shows, such as Survivor (which by law are subject to certain rules - remember from Quiz Show?)

You could be right, John, but I think this an unscripted/improved show with assigned characters that is trying to trick us at the outset into thinking it is a total reality show. (maybe some super dramatic stuff will happen that we don't usually see on reality shows)

Either way, I'm interested to see where this goes!
    Perfection is just fine by me!

Tada
    I thought this was an interesting show in an odd way; especially the part at the end where they revealed the secrets. 30 minutes was just much too short though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina View Post
    Yeah...I'm not sure about this either.

Am I the only one that thinks it seems like the $$$$ ticks away too quickly when they say the pot drops every second they don't have a unanimous vote??
    No, that counter *does* seem awful fast to me, unless the rate at which it counts down is proportional to the amount left. If it counts down at a flat rate though, the math geek in me calculated that it will run out in one day if it is any faster than about $17.36/second, and it looked much faster.
    Last edited by Tada; 03-23-2006 at 02:10 AM.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    not exactly Bio-Dome! and if they are really underground (somehow i imagine their bunker is about 500 feet from the AI studio)- judging by how far the voting balls dropped- poor JD is probably sitting ankle deep in the aquifer

i was sorta hoping that steve would get all of the votes right away... 20 minutes in- game over! it would be priceless to see JD's- uh, wth do we do now expression.

Quinn's- "My Way" testimonial- If I'm not winning, no one else is winning, and i have no problem watching the money counter click all the way to zero.

Loved the testicular cancer strategy... especially early on- no one would be ballsy or insensitive enough to call BS on that right away.

I loved this show! I have been so excited to see it (They have been advertising the hell out of it during "American Idol").

I can't stand Kelly. Once I saw she was a minister, I knew the sh*t would hit the fan if there was a gay contestant. There was, and it did. She just keeps saying she doesn't care about the money, and that if she's meant to win it, no matter what the others think of her, she'll win it. Let me just tell her, if she treats everyone like dirt, even God can't help her win. She had a lot of nerve to tell Jameson he would go to hell for being gay. His comeback of "she would be right there with him roasting marshmallows" was hilarious.

I couldn't believe Steve got three votes. That's good for him, although it probably won't happen again.

I thought that the folders with the secrets in them was a good twist. I think that Kelly's bankruptcy secret was the worst. She definitely does not act like the minister she is. I would probably get rid of Richard with the mental ward secret. I don't think I want to be stuck with an ex mental ward patient. Also, I was surprised by Tarah's secret. She doesn't look like the live ammunition type. (She probably will wish she had brought in some ammunition if she's there much longer)

The "bunker" is awesome. It is so cool. I was impressed by the new "Big Brother" house, but when I saw this I was like "damn". It must have cost a pretty penny. The voting spheres are also really cool. I like the device they put them in that sends them to J.D. (kind of like the tube system at the bank).

I am so glad J.D. Roth is the host. I love him! He hosts "Endurance" on NBC, and I think he is a great host. I'm glad his career and production company have been so successful.

I also want to comment on Jonathan. I like him. He is the only one who actually seems to be playing the game to win. His testicular cancer story and his dad taking out a $70,000 loan on his house, and it was breaking him was brilliant. He brought it up so casually when he said at the table he was nauseous because of his medicine. They of course took the bait and asked for what, and he said testicular cancer. He is a smart player.

It kills me waiting until next week to see who gets eliminated. I hope it's Kelly. I love this show and can't wait till next week!

FORT Fogey
    I am wondering about the "reality" of it too, charlie9. Maybe I am too skeptical, and because it was so rushed (30 mins!), I felt so much of the explanation to the viewer was left out. I even wondered....did it really say that whomever was voted for unanimously WOULD be awarded the money? or did it just say that the participants must vote unanimously who they want to win the money in order to leave and end the game? I sense a twist in there somewhere, but cannot put my finger on it............

Also, I bet they can alter environment in the bunker....cool them down, heat them up.... as punishment. Interesting....but I wouldn't sign up for it.

oh...and thought the live ammo would have been Steve's secret...I figured a truck driver would have a gun, or ammunition with him...so was surprised it was Tarah's. I wonder how many "secrets" they had to provide? Also, the mental ward is not even an issue....it would depend on why,when, and where. Our local hospital get overcrowded and people are sometimes put on the 4th floor (psych ward) North Wing as that has empty beds. The seriously psychiatric cases are isolated to another wing of that floor, however. Now, the false bankruptcy claim would be the worst secret for me. That's just wrong. Knowingly wrong.
    Last edited by mountaingirl70; 03-23-2006 at 02:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread